Sonny Phillips....OMG

Soul Stream

I've liked Sonny Phillips over the years quite a bit.... but today I picked up an LP of his on Prestige...BLACK MAGIC. I had never heard it.... well SHEEEEEEET! He is a serious, serious, serious player who surprisingly went in the Young tradition about as convincing as anybody at the time. There's a track...The Brotherhood...that just is so killer. Also, he does I'm An Old Cowhound...and his facility is so great...we'll have to say Jimmy Smith's version of the song isn't my favorite organ version any more! Yeah, Sonny Phillips...wow. But his other albums just don't sound like THIS one at ALL. They put him in a funk mode that he must just not have been interested in. Believe me...he's interested in THe Brotherhood. Check it out if you find this LP. (take note this album is not Black on Black...they look VERY similar but are miles apart music wise)

Edited by Soul Stream

Yeah...so many great unknowns. Sonny Phillips was a real revelation for me lately. I think I have his album on Muse, but don't remember much about it. Pete Fallico has a great interview with him on his Doodlin' Podcast site. Sonny seemed to be a person very involved in the community and outreach to young musicians. Wish he had lived longer.....yeah...The Brotherhood, check that track out! Reminds me a bit of Freddie Roach's Young-influenced work on some of his Prestige dates....

• 10 years later...