Sonny Clark

Victor Christensen

Hi all Jazz "Brothers"

I am trying to get all SC recorded and have about 95% of it, but the last ones are rare and can't find them on the net, so my ? is, do anyone know if the following has ever been reissued in Japan on CD:

1) Various Artist - Jazz Club U.S.A. In Europe (No Label ?) (Buddy De Franco Quartet)

2) Leonard Feather - Swingin' On The Vibories (ABC Paramount ABC 110)

3) Hampton Hawes/Sonny Clark - The Pianoman (Vantage NLP 5004)

4) Various Artist - Eddie Costa Memorial Concert (Colpix CP 450 or SCP 450)

All info will be appriciated, and if anyone have them on LP and could burn me a copy would be great, because I can't find them

anywhere.

Vic

Hi all Jazz "Brothers"

I am trying to get all SC recorded and have about 95% of it, but the last ones are rare and can't find them on the net, so my ? is, do anyone know if the following has ever been reissued in Japan on CD:

1) Various Artist - Jazz Club U.S.A. In Europe (No Label ?) (Buddy De Franco Quartet)

2) Leonard Feather - Swingin' On The Vibories (ABC Paramount ABC 110)

3) Hampton Hawes/Sonny Clark - The Pianoman (Vantage NLP 5004)

4) Various Artist - Eddie Costa Memorial Concert (Colpix CP 450 or SCP 450)

All info will be appriciated, and if anyone have them on LP and could burn me a copy would be great, because I can't find them

anywhere.

Vic

• 11 months later...

Hi all Jazz "Brothers"

13) Hampton Hawes/Sonny Clark - The Pianoman (Vantage NLP 5004)

Where did the final track ('The Way You Look Tonite') that was added to the JPN cd release come from?

Vic? Dan? How's the recording quality?

Hampton Hawes/Sonny Clark - The Pianoman (Vantage NLP 5004)

Frank Rosolino (tb) Bob Cooper (ts, ob) Sonny Clark (p) Howard Rumsey (b) Stan Levey (d) June Christy (vo -3,4)

"Lighthouse Club", Hermosa Beach, CA, September 3, 1956

1. Now I Lay Me Down To Dream

2. That's All

3. Isn't This A Lovely Way To Spend An Evening

4. 'Round About Midnight

5. Mambo Las Vegas

6. When Sunny Gets Blue

(ABCJ-534)

973.jpg

1. Now I Lay Me Down To Dream

2. That's All

3. Isn't This A Lovely Way To Spend The Evening

4. Round Midnight

5. Mambo las Vegas

6. When Sonny Gets Blues

7. The Way You Look Tonight

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Track 7, "The Way You Look Tonight" is from a live session recorded Jan 19, 1957. It is not part of the session from the preceding 6 tracks. The players are Cannonball Adderley (as), Nat Adderley (tp), Sam Jones (b), Specs Wright (ds) and Sonny Clark on piano. The recording quality is atrocious, to put it mildly. Only a died-in-the-wool Sonny Clark completist would want this track, even though the piano playing is totally over-shadowed by the drums/cymbals. There is an approx 1-minute piano solo that is again overwhelmed by the drums.

The first 6 tracks are from a Lighthouse All-Stars (Rumsey, Rosolino, Cooper and Levey) session Sept 3, 1956 and is a very good session, both musically and recording-wise.

Dan Stewart.

Note about the ABCJ-534 CD:

The responsible of this edition has long worked with the late Bob Andrews, and now sells his tapes in Japan. I noticed many faults or indiscretions committed by that guy. Especially concerning Art Pepper. He shortened some titles (Art Pepper in Toronto, June 17, 1977 among others), indicates false dates, adds “bonus tracks” that have nothing to do with the concerned session. I think that its what happened to the "The Pianoman session” (September 3, 1956). I wonder if the pianist on “The Way You Look Tonight” is really Sonny Clark...

I didn’t buy the ABCJ-534 CD because I have the complete concert on Vantage(Jap)NLP-5004 LP.

Just one example for 3 titles from the Art Pepper in Toronto, June 17, 1977 session issued on Absord Music Japan(Jap)ABCJ-548, but some heavily shortened:

Samba Mom-Mom 8:28 lasts 17:35 on What’s Jazz(Jap)NOCD-5663

Star Eyes 5:04 lasts 12:09 on What’s Jazz(Jap)NOCD-5663

A Song For Richard 14:01 lasts 16:43 on What’s Jazz(Jap)NOCD-5662

A song for Richard mistitled Patricia on Jazz Bank(Jap)MTCJ-1079, Naked City CD-010 & What's Jazz NOCD-5662 & and Bit of Bernie on Absord Music Japan(Jap)ABCJ-548.

Curious soup merchant isn’t?

Claude

• 11 months later...

Eddie Costa Memorial Concert (Colpix CP 450 or SCP 450)

I saw this on one of Hiroshi's lists and was thinking about ordering it. Guess it's being released next month. I thought I read somewhere (AAJ??) that there was a fair bit of distortion in the recording but maybe I'm confusing this with another title? Does this ring true? Comments anybody?

Hi Guys

Last year I finally got the SC's I was missing. so now I have all of it. The JP CD I bought from Amazon.JP is probably one of the most expensive I have ever bought (35$), it last 22 minutes and the last 8 minutes is in such a bad shape in audio, imposible to listen to, it hurts your ears, so bad is it. Sonny Clark is the only one I have complete, took me 6 years to get it all.

My new obsession is Woody Shaw lol

Vic

Hi Guys

Last year I finally got the SC's I was missing. so now I have all of it. The JP CD I bought from Amazon.JP is probably one of the most expensive I have ever bought (35$), it last 22 minutes and the last 8 minutes is in such a bad shape in audio, imposible to listen to, it hurts your ears, so bad is it. Sonny Clark is the only one I have complete, took me 6 years to get it all.

My new obsession is Woody Shaw lol

Vic

Congratulations on the Sonny Clark. My sympathies on the Woody Shaw :(

I'm forty years into my only "completist quest" :rolleyes: