Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

The Revenant played an Holy Ghost on their Nefertiti doubleCD release.

The liner notes list only four sides for each disc BUT each disc has SIX tracks;

Track 5 on both is a blank fill-in space.

Track 6 on disc 1 is the 2nd version of 'Call' (all 6:36 of it).

Track 6 on disc 2 is the Untitled Sample (actually, a 2nd version of 'D Trad, That's What' (all 20:07 of it).

Have not heard (or seen either) the Revenant LP issue of this.

Let's thank Revenant for including everything available even if they erred in the tracks listings.

And let's continue to blame the out-of-tune piano at the Montmartre. Cecil Taylor must have hated that one!

This has been discussed before, and indeed brownie is right! The Revenant set is the way to get all of these historic and magnificient recordings!

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am still a bit perplexed by this disc. I mean, it's a good - very good, but something prevents me from calling it a great one (DA SHIT, using technical terminology). Probably it is that both Gebbia and Goodheart display their talents much more eloquently on their solo discs (Arcana Major and Songs from the Time of Great Questioning, respectively).

Edited by Д.Д.

On the discplus hat-sale: a friend of mine who ordered the same day as I got his discs last Friday.

I just got these items confirmed:

HAT OLOGY

536 Cliches Steve Lacy Seven (Lacy, Potts, Lewis, Aebi, Avenel, Johnson, Margolin, Few B & C) 1 Stk 1 Stk Geschlossen

HAT NOW

118 Mobile for Shakespeare, Liaisons, Quartett I-VI, Credentials or Think, Think, Lucky Ensemble Avantga 1 Stk 1 Stk Geschlossen

HAT NOW

114 Concerto a tre, Fuer Kadinsky, Trio Nr1-2 Ensemble Recherche 1 Stk 1 Stk Geschlossen

HAT NOW

102 Neither . 1 Stk 1 Stk Geschlossen

HAT NOW

115 Soviet Avant-Garde 2 : Lourie, Mossolov, Polovinkin, Roslavets Schleiermacher (Klavier) 1 Stk 1 Stk Geschlossen

HAT NOW

117 Kya, Ixor, Rucke di Guck, Tre Pezzi, Yamaon, Maknongan Weiss M (Saxophon), Ensemble Contrechamps, Ra 1 Stk 1 Stk Geschlossen

HAT NOW

124 For John Cage Ter Haar (Violine) & Snijders (Klavier) (from the Ives Ensemble) 1 Stk 1 Stk Geschlossen

HAT OLOGY

556 Morning Joy Steve Lacy (soprano sax), Steve Potts (alto & soprano sax), Jean-Jacques Avenel (bass), 1 Stk 1 Stk Geschlossen

HAT NOW

116 Atlantis, String Quartett & Orchestra, Oboe & Orchestra Pellegrini Quartett, Vries (Oboe), SO Radio 1 Stk 1 Stk Geschlossen

HAT OLOGY

554 An Hour With Michael Moore (alto sax, clarinet & melodica), Ernst Reijseger (cello), Han Bennink (dr 1 Stk 1 Stk Geschlossen

HAT NOW

104 Soviet Avant-Garde I : Lourie, Mossolov, Protopopov, Roslavetz Steffen Schleiermacher (Klavier) 1 Stk 1 Stk Geschlossen

Eskelin's "Ramifications" and the Lacy Three "N.Y. Capers & Quirks" are both not available (lame! they mail out a link for a special sale, I order within twenty minutes and they don't have the listed items... they never had them, in the first place, or they don't have them anymore, but didn't update their website before sending out the link for their sale...)

Is "N.Y. Capers & Quirks" worth hunting down? How about "Ramifications"? I have the three first discs by the Eskelin/Parkins/Black trio and like them alright (though so far I have not been convinced fully).

found another thing on sale at discplus:

LOWE Allen MUSIC & ARTS

Dark was the Night, cold was the Ground 01.01.1994

Allen Lowe (tenor sax), Roswell Rudd (trombone), Jeff Fuller (bass), American Song Project

MA-811

EAN: 0017685081125

CD

sFr 20.20 (- 50%)

sFr 10.10 (- 10.10) Kaufen

any good? ;)

And here's the other three Music & Arts Jazz discs on sale (hundreds of classical M&A discs on sale, in case someone's interested):

COLE Nat "King" MUSIC & ARTS

Legendary 1941-44 Broadcast Transcriptions 01.01.1994

Nat King Cole

MA-808

EAN: 0017685480829

CD

sFr 20.20 (- 60%)

sFr 8.08 (- 12.12) Kaufen

CRISPELL Marilyn MUSIC & ARTS

Cascades 01.01.1995

Marilyn Crispell (piano), Barry Guy (bass), Gerry Hemingway (drums, vibraphon & gamelan)

MA-853

EAN: 0017685085321

CD

sFr 20.20 (- 15%)

sFr 17.17 (- 3.03) Kaufen

GRAEWE Georg MUSIC & ARTS

Gedaechtnisspuren, 7 Klavierstuecke 01.01.1996

Georg Graewe (piano) San Francisco Concert 1995

MA-968

EAN: 0017685096822

CD

sFr 20.20 (- 50%)

sFr 10.10 (- 10.10) Kaufen

Anyone has that Graewe?

I won't order anything else from discplus right now, but I saw those when browsing the sales list.

ghnrtg, thanks for you offer on the Graewe! Do you want to give it another listen based on D.D.'s post? If not, I'd gladly accept your offer! I haven't got many Graewe recordings, so far, but what I've heard I liked quite a bit!

ubu - I will give it another listen, but send the disc to you in any case - if it so happens that I like it this time around, I will save the music in some format for future reference but you can have the disc - it's been staring at me for a long time in my trade pile.

Listened to and enjoyed my emusic download of One More Time - Steve Lacy and Joelle Leandre. With emusic you miss liner notes, so I'm wondering if anyone might post a translation of the French phone message that ends the CD. The final "Love you baby, au revoir" needs no translating and is a touching ending.

Guest Chaney

Listened to and enjoyed my emusic download of One More Time - Steve Lacy and Joelle Leandre.  With emusic you miss liner notes, so I'm wondering if anyone might post a translation of the French phone message that ends the CD.  The final "Love you baby, au revoir" needs no translating and is a touching ending.

I'm really looking forward to hearing this one. I'm just waiting for CD Universe to list the late-May Leos for pre-ordering.

Nice cover. icon8.gif

422.jpg

Guest Chaney

do you know my man Keith Rowe taught crazy Syd guitar in the sixties? not his primary teacher, but one of them. there's a short AMM homage on the first Pink Floyd record, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, I can dig out the specifics if people are interested...

Yes!

Not much of a Pink Floyd fan -- listened to Dark Side of the Moon a couple of weeks ago for the first time in many years... underwhelmed. May be for younger ears -- but Syd Barrett looks to be an interesting fellow.

do you know my man Keith Rowe taught crazy Syd guitar in the sixties? not his primary teacher, but one of them. there's a short AMM homage on the first Pink Floyd record, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, I can dig out the specifics if people are interested...

Yes!

Not much of a Pink Floyd fan -- listened to Dark Side of the Moon a couple of weeks ago for the first time in many years... underwhelmed. May be for younger ears -- but Syd Barrett looks to be an interesting fellow.

Used to be a huge Pink Floyd fan when I was 14 (listend to "The Wall" EVERY DAY during a year or so). Can't even imagine listening to them today.

Guest Chaney

I had this stuff on vinyl; the band lost me at The Wall. Never could understand its popularity.

I'd never buy the stuff nowadays; I've been listening to Internet downloaded copies. (Me very bad man.) I listen, I frown / cringe, I delete.

the specifics are that on AMM's first record AMMusic 1966, the first sidelong track is titled "Later during a flaming Riviera sunset".

so, if I recall correctly (I don't feel like going upstairs to check), track 4 on Piper at the Gates of Dawn is called "Flaming" in tribute to AMM, and the first minute or so is their attempt to sound AMM-ish.

Paul McCartney was also supposedly influenced by AMM, Keith's told me that AMM played a house party once where all four Beatles were on the couch watching them...

Pink Floyd.....DSOM is still so popular and still a huge seller. Very recently, I sold my Mobile Fidelity vinyl copy and, turned around and bought a really cool 30th anniversary vinyl issue. Gatefold jacket, a sticker and 3 24x36 posters!! All analog, cut by one of the best on thick, dead quiet wax and pressed in the UK or Germany.

I can still enjoy it, as I never played it to death. When I play it on my home system and turn it up, it is quite an amazing and unique album in many respects.

Paul McCartney was also supposedly influenced by AMM, Keith's told me that AMM played a house party once where all four Beatles were on the couch watching them...

You can hear this on Wing's Silly Love Songs.

Here's proof finally, that Peter Brötzmann is not only part of mainstream, but rather at the core of the smooth jazz scene! Chaney says it, so I believe it!

in case some of you don't find this all that funny, it's part of my "Paul Desmond is a hero and an all-time jazz great"-campaign, which has its origin in this ugly thread

You can hear this on Wing's Silly Love Songs.

actually, wise ass, there's supposedly material on McCartney's box set that reflects this influence.

chatted with McPhee a bit after the concert. I asked him about any upcoming solo works, and he said he will indeed have one on Roaratorio, but it will be an LP-only release.

Thanks for the link -I could't resist this one & I placed an pre-order.

I'll be spinning this one tonight thanks again Д.Д