Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

i know the black saint/soul note talk is over, but let me say, as someone who is not really a fan of much cecil taylor i have heard past the blue note dates, that "winged serpents/sliding quadrants" or whatever it is called, from about 1984, is a very excellent cecil taylor album. interesting selection of bandmates including enrico rava and tom stanko on trumpets and frank wright and johnny tchicai as two of the sax players (i think gunter hampel might also be on there). most of the music actually has themes you can latch on to, at least for a little while, and the two drummers, who are both unknowns to me, bash nicely and even hint at rock rhythms at times (at least for a little while). i wonder if this album is considered too commercial sounding for true taylor fans, though....

I really like Winged Serpents (Sliding Quadrants). I've heard some unreleased live recordings of this Orchestra of Two Continents that are equally interesting and powerful - what a great band. CT hasn't done too many large ensemble projects and this one might be my favorite. I think this may have been the last CT release with Jimmy Lyons on it. He passed away soon after.

Rashied Bakr and Andre Martinez were the drummers.

Bakr was also the drummer in Other Dimensions In Music with William Parker, Roy Campbell, Matt Shipp and Daniel Carter. That band was very influenced by CT. Bakr has recorded with William Parker quite a bit I think.

Andre's latest project is called Earth People. It's more of a collective than a band and has included Sabir Mateen, Daniel Carter and Karen Borca among others. The music is a jazz-fusion based gumbo of sorts with stylistic influences from all over the planet. Samples and CDs are at CD Baby.

Earth People

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Taylor/Lyons duo (actually there's a little percussion too I recall) that takes up the end of the 2nd track on Winged Serpents... is, IIRC, one of the most moving things either musician recorded. One of CT's best discs.

The BBC posthumous feature on Bailey included that entirety of "Miles' Mode"--interesting to hear, though I'm glad I didn't fork out for the CD. There is an unreleased tape of Joseph Holbrooke accompanying Lee Konitz from the same period; I'm told that it's not "really" a JH performance in that they simply play conventional jazz accompaniment behind Lee. I've heard conflicting stories about who now possesses the tape (Bryars maybe?), & I don't think there are any plans to release it for now.

I have Minasi's earlier trio recording (with Krall and Filiano), and I saw Minasi live once. Nothing interesting, IMO. The guy plays a lot of notes very fast, with pretty sound. Gets boring after 10 minutes.

I haven't heard that trio recording, but I bought his organ quartet CD, Quick Response, with Mark Whitecage, and like that a lot - not the kind of organ record you usually hear.

Andre's latest project is called Earth People. It's more of a collective than a band and has included Sabir Mateen, Daniel Carter and Karen Borca among others. The music is a jazz-fusion based gumbo of sorts with stylistic influences from all over the planet. Samples and CDs are at CD Baby.

Earth People

No good, IMO.

Guest akanalog

you, the guy who's screenname is the symbols i don't know the name of-i like that you seem to you know, not look at everything through rose-ey glasses. when something isn't to your liking, you say so.

"the guy who's screenname is the symbols i don't know the name of"

D.D, this should be your new user name.

Are you familiar with a Russian composer Anton Batagov? I recently bought a 3cd set of his called The Wheel of the Law. Very minimalist, very beautiful.

"Three discs, three tracks composed for organ, glockenspiel, xylophone, piano and percussion, inspired by Buddhism and the Quest for Nirvana, and the practices involved: peace, meditation, deep thought, breathing, conciousness. Repetitive and melodic, lush and so so beautiful."

wheel.gif

Edited by John B

I just love pulling this picture off my hard drive.

David / Д.Д. is th gentleman on the left. The other chap is Flurin / king ubu.

I forgot about that one!

This was made before the (phenomenal) Barry Guy concert I drove 250 km to see (in addition to having a pleasure of meeting Flurin in person).

Edited by Д.Д.

Are you familiar with a Russian composer Anton Batagov? I recently bought a 3cd set of his called The Wheel of the Law. Very minimalist, very beautiful.

"Three discs, three tracks composed for organ, glockenspiel, xylophone, piano and percussion, inspired by Buddhism and the Quest for Nirvana, and the practices involved: peace, meditation, deep thought, breathing, conciousness. Repetitive and melodic, lush and so so beautiful."

wheel.gif

Never heard Batagov. He has quite a large discography (mostly on Long Arms label), and I've been meaning to check out some of his works. Will buy some some of his CDs next time I'm in Russia.

Guest Chaney

OH SURE! John WOULD trot out that picture as he always was the cutest of us all! And I come off looking like a nutter.

Yea, ask me again to take a group photo!

~~~~~~~~~~

Music for One Apartment and Six Drummers

DRUMMERS.JPG

~~~~~~~~~~

Upcoming (72 days, as of 3.26.06) Atavistic reissue:

alp257_250mini.jpg

Toshinori Kondo : Trumpet

Frank Wright : Saxophone

Peter Brotzmann : Saxophone

Hannes Bauer : Trombone

Alan Tomlinson : Trombone

Alex Schlippenbach : Keyboards

Harry Miller : Bass

Louis Moholo : Drums

Recorded during The 164th NDR-JAZZWORKSHOP, November 12th, 1981 at the Funkhaus (Hamburg)

"The story is simple. We were touring with this band, and the reason I could put the band together in the first place was a radio gig in Hamburg. Michael Naura, chief of the jazz dept there, was setting up a series of on-air concerts in a 200-seat studio, so we performed the first piece, which I called "Alarm." I used the graphic instructions for a reaction to a nuclear emergency, a series of waves and straight tones, repeated in a certain way.

We had planned two more pieces, one by Willem Breuker and one by Frank Wright. My piece took about 40 minutes, the first half of the concert. At the end of the performance, Naura came to me – while we were still on the air – and whispered that the house got a bomb threat and had to be evacuated. So I had to bring the piece quickly to and end and the audience was asked to leave the hall. We also had to pack and leave. Police and special forces showed up with all kinds of equipment, gear, dogs – we know all that better now than then.

That was the end of the concert and that’s the 40 minutes we have on tape."

-Peter Brötzmann, Chicago, October 2005

~~~~~~~~~~

Boris Kovac, anyone? boris_ot.jpg

I've been listening to and enjoying East Off Europe. Any others of his that are recommended? (Interesting site: PIRANHA.)

logo1.gif

Edited by Chaney

Friends, very OOP solo Bhob Rainey "Withered Grasses" (Tautology, 1999) is available from jazzloft for $15. Got my copy, haven't listened to it yet.

Since we are in the solo reeds territory, let me reiterate this:

Friends, I just had a first listen to a Eric Barber's "Maybeck contstructions" (pfMENTUM), and I am quite impressed.

Solo tenor and soprano saxophone, again (as with Bühler, who I also discovered a bit earlier) an Evan Parker disciple, and again, IMO, more focused and profound. Very impressive multiphonics and other extended techniques, but also impressive ideas. His tenor and soprano sound really nice (and really well recorded!) - clean, clear, rich sound. It is good that Barber is not ashamed to use more conventional saxophone playing techniques - and when he does, it sounds even pretty. All very coherent, with a constant flow. If there is a little drawback is that it's a bit too precisely calculated (large part of it might be written in advance, I thought), IMO. Highly recommended. Got my copy at indiejazz for $12.50.

A sample is avilable at the pfMENTUM page linked to above.

(Not too updated) Eric Barber website is here.

maybeck.jpg

Gets better at every listen. And a really beautiful sound (recorded at Maybeck Recital hall).

------------------------

Also, I was enjoying Julius Hemphill & Abdul Wadud: "Live in New York" (Red Records) today. I have most of available Hemphill, and I think this is his best one. Recorded live in 76; Hemphill is extremely lyrical, melodic, searching and free. What amazed me while I listened to it today is that Wadud is playing very West-African type of accompaniment (I guess I noticed it only today since I've been listening to a lot of Malian music lately) - this hypnotic repetative percussive figures in odd meters... his cello even sounds like some African instrument. I am not sure whatthe status of Red Records is right now, so I suggest you do not wait for too long with getting this one - I can't imagine you can be disappointed with it.

Well, listened to another Hemphill-Wadud duo: Oakland Duets (Music & Arts). This one is recorded much later - in 92. It is also a good one, but not as astonishing as "Live in New York". First, the sound balanse is worse - Wadud is too upfront vs. Hemphill. Second, there is less stretching - theseare shorter tunes - and tunes they are: songlike and pretty; Wadud is doing a more standard "walking" sort of playing - no Africanisms here, IMO. Still excellent music.

Now will go for "Buster Bee" - hemphill's duo with Olvier Lake on Sackville.

Edited by Д.Д.

alp257_250mini.jpg

Recorded during The 164th NDR-JAZZWORKSHOP, November 12th, 1981 at the Funkhaus (Hamburg)

:tup

Like the look of this.

alp257_250mini.jpg

Like the look of this.

Looks tasty, and this is Brötzmann's period I am not too familiar with. Anybody got the Schwarzwaldfahrt Atavistic reissue yet? Gary????

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest akanalog

abdul wadud is awesome.

what happened to him?

after a point in the 80s i don't see him appearing on much.

and his body of work is small otherwise.

too bad-love his riffing.....

alp257_250mini.jpg

Like the look of this.

Looks tasty, and this is Brötzmann's period I am not too familiar with. Anybody got the Schwarzwaldfahrt Atavistic reissue yet? Gary????

Schwarzwaldfahrt is great, but better as an LP as the extra material isn't that cool... The Brotzmann/Miller/Moholo is what needs to be reissued, though Alarm is a good record.

C