Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I don't agree about Hatology, especially these days, but the Tenney and Hauser discs above are both very strong. I haven't heard the other two.

Any particular discs you dislike? I think I might tend to agree with you, but I am not sure... I mean, to be honest, guys like Dave Liebman and Marc Copland are not the ones that grab my attention, and they did quite a number of discs for Uehlinger - but then when we interviewed him, one of the discs he gave us was Copland's "Time" solo recording, which contrary to my expectations, I like quite a bit.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't agree about Hatology, especially these days, but the Tenney and Hauser discs above are both very strong. I haven't heard the other two.

Any particular discs you dislike? I think I might tend to agree with you, but I am not sure... I mean, to be honest, guys like Dave Liebman and Marc Copland are not the ones that grab my attention, and they did quite a number of discs for Uehlinger - but then when we interviewed him, one of the discs he gave us was Copland's "Time" solo recording, which contrary to my expectations, I like quite a bit.

True, I tend to forget about these ones. I have practically all the hatOLOGY releases up to #569 (released in 2002), and very few of the later ones (and the latest one is already #633!).

Anybody heard this Polweschel hatOLOGY disc, btw?

And Liebman I just can't stand.

Copeland is good, IMO (have his very tasteful solo on Sketch).

Guest Chaney

I was tempted to buy Bookends (hatOLOGY) during the recent Jazz Loft sale because of the presence of Copeland but just couldn't pull the trigger because of Liebman.

Copeland really is suh-weet on Sketch. (The Sketch label seems to ooze tastefulness.) (That meant in a good way.)

Edited by Chaney

yeah, most of the better Hatology releases seem to be reissues of earlier Hats, not that I've actually heard the bulk of them (largely going by reports and personnel). but the original Hat CD series 6001-6200 was a classic imprint, whereas the last few years, the label seems far less relevant.

I do like the Trapist disc (although I passed on releasing it on my own label in favor of doing the later Too Beautiful To Burn), and I haven't heard the new Polwechsel yet. the ErikM/Fennesz is in desperate need of some editing, it should be maybe a half hour shorter. even pending the Polwechsel (and the Efzeg en route), I'd say it's safe to say that the Vienna releases I've done since 2000 are a far stronger group, and I don't have anywhere near the resources (or the distribution) of Mr. Uehlinger. needless to say, the Berlin, London, Tokyo and any other electroacoustic scenes have been mostly or totally ignored.

yeah, most of the better Hatology releases seem to be reissues of earlier Hats, not that I've actually heard the bulk of them (largely going by reports and personnel). but the original Hat CD series 6001-6200 was a classic imprint, whereas the last few years, the label seems far less relevant.

alas I am to young to have known much of the old hat CD series... just have maybe a dozen of stray discs I found here and there (including a few great ones, such as "Jump Up").

I do like the Trapist disc (although I passed on releasing it on my own label in favor of doing the later Too Beautiful To Burn), and I haven't heard the new Polwechsel yet. the ErikM/Fennesz is in desperate need of some editing, it should be maybe a half hour shorter. even pending the Polwechsel (and the Efzeg en route), I'd say it's safe to say that the Vienna releases I've done since 2000 are a far stronger group, and I don't have anywhere near the resources (or the distribution) of Mr. Uehlinger. needless to say, the Berlin, London, Tokyo and any other electroacoustic scenes have been mostly or totally ignored.

As Uehlinger said in the interview I did: he is not doing any systematical work, so it's most definitely not his goal to document any scene in broad fashion. Anyway, your point is valuable, I suppose. Further (re: editing needed) Uehlinger is not an expert or a person with lots of inside knowledge... rather he seems to decide based on his guts. Not that one thing is better than the other, I think.

On "Bookends" and Liebman: I have a short live broadcast of the duo (w/Copland) and that's pretty nice. Also Liebman's Willisau concert (I think it's out on hat, too, I heard it twice on radio) was pretty nice. Still, I don't often feel like listening to Liebman...

A younger artist rather new to the hat roster that I enjoy quite some is austrian sax player Max Nagl. His "Quartier du faisan" is good, so is his Mingus trio (I only know it from a live recording), and I also like (contrary to gnhrtg) his "Big Four" with Bernstein & Akchoté quite a bit (again I only am familiar with their 2005 Willisau gig, not yet with the hat disc), same again for "Ramasuri": very nice band, but I still need to get the hat release.

nagleQuartier.jpg

8rajkkdfg.jpg

4032779.jpg

cover0103_052_it.jpg

Of course Nagl has released discs on other labels, too, but going from a statement in a very recent interview (in a swiss daily paper), he is very happy about his working relationship with Uehlinger, and mentioned that Uehlinger gave him lots of impulses on which he would build new bands/projects etc.

I don't have the new Polwechsel - got the other two cheap last year, but haven't played them yet... hélas!

(I hereby promise a serious buying freeze, with the exception of... [fill in yourself])

Here's a bagatellen review on Nagl's "Quartier du Faisan" and Theo Jörgensmann's "Fellowship":

2 New Hats

Max Nagl Ensemble

Quartier du Faisan

Hatology 621

Theo Jörgensmann

Fellowship

Hatology 616

The Hat labels have long cultivated an interest in reassessments of improvising traditions, sponsoring the radical interpretations of Joe McPhee, Franz Koglmann, and the Vienna Art Orchestra, among many others. Over the last ten years or so, Werner X. Uehlinger’s imprint has cultivated a number of more direct engagements with traditional source materials or, without beating too much around the bush, just plain jazz. Few could have predicted that folks like Lee Konitz or Marc Copland might one day appear on the Hat roster, and yet this is the case. It’s often quite fine jazz, too, and this direction makes the appearance of discs such as these two a little bit less startling.

Nagl is an interesting and somewhat enigmatic figure to me. Part of the crowded and provocative Viennese scene, he’s never gravitated fully towards either the Burkhard Stangl end of the music (though he has played on some interesting dates with Josef Novotny, among others who play electronics) or the arch constructions of Franz Koglmann. A fine alto player with a flair for arranging, he’s always had a healthy mischievous streak. This was certainly audible on the Big Four disc from a couple years back (where he paid tribute to Sidney Bechet and Muggsy Spanier) and it’s quite pronounced on this large ensemble recording from a residence at Vienna’s Porgy & Bess venue. Nagl sticks to his sole horn here (though he ventures out on melodica on “Patient”) and is joined by Clemens Salesny (alto and bass clarinet), Franz Hautzinger (quartertone trumpet), Lorenz Raab (trumpet), Martin Ptak (trombone), Clemens Wenger (piano), Novotny (electronics and piano), Achim Tang (bass), Lukas Knofler (drums), and Luis Ribeiro (percussion). It’s light-hearted stuff, not so much revisionism as reappropriation. There are echoes of Braxton’s early Creative Music Orchestra disc and very strong Breuker allusions throughout (never a bad thing). Though the nine pieces are all written by Nagl, the ensemble charges through with a sensibility similar to Herr Schlippenbach’s hardcore Monk band (especially on the poly-idiomatic “Bycykell,” where Wenger does his best Schlipp to Mengelberg impression). Occasionally there are moments when, in the midst of some abstracted reference to Saint-Saens or somebody, Novotny creates some unpredictable (and frequently ominous) backgrounds. But this disc is mostly a spirited romp. Consult the juiced-up “Bat Chain” (a reference to the Captain?), with quirky organ and sinewy funk and slowly morphing horn sass, or the similarly raucous “Luis.” The tone poem “Patient” features a splattery Hautzinger solo, which contrasts excellently with the polish of the arrangement (the piece picks up and morphs into a spasmodic Kollektief-like reel). In other words, while the basic materials may be familiar ones, the energy of the ensemble and its soloists keep things enjoyably unsettled.

Dating back to 1998, Theo Jörgensmann’s Fellowship assembles a supple sextet of players (the leader on clarinet, Charlie Mariano on alto, Petras Vysniauskas on soprano, Karl Berger on vibraphone and piano, Kent Carter on bass, and Klaus Kügel on drums) to play three lengthy pieces. Should be hot, should be spicy, but I found the proceedings actually a bit bland. On Berger’s “Nameless Child,” for example, there is a real ECM-ish quality to the playing – not just in the somewhat boomy production but in the preponderance of pastoralisms and that soft piano-and-horns bustle that recalls (inevitably) some of Jarrett’s mid-70s groups. About eight minutes in the piece starts to gallop a bit (and Kügel does his best throughout to shake things up and Vysniauskas generates a fair deal of heat too) but there’s too little of this kind of brio. Mariano is the most interesting player on this tune by far, as his angular quirks keep Carter and Kügel on their toes and prevent the blow from becoming too conventional. What’s most problematic to my ears is Berger’s playing, which is at times too ponderous and at times to ethereal. Jörgensmann’s “Nightmare” is somewhat more interesting structurally; despite this band’s gifts for propulsion, I find their playing to be more successful on abstracted pieces such as these (closer to Jörgensmann’s explorations on To Ornette: Hybrid Identity). Perhaps significantly, Berger’s vibes sound miles better than his piano. The leader’s tasty solo perfectly exemplifies the idiomatic combination he always strives for: chamber cool and post-Bop heat. And there are even more craggy shards of bop flying about on Carter’s rumbling “It Will Come” (again Mariano takes honors with some out, abstracted blues fragments), with a fine and unexpectedly atmospheric ending (catalyzed by Carter’s fine arco). So yes, there are some good blowing moments, some good group sections, and some decent writing. It’s fairly nice small group jazz but nothing to lower your jaw overmuch.

Posted by bivins on November 14, 2005 02:30 PM

source: http://www.bagatellen.com/archives/reviews/001056.html

EDIT:

I have "Fellowship", too, but it didn't really grab me... will have to play it again - kind of a likeable disc, but not really a great one, as I remember it.

Edited by king ubu

Surely you guys are on a mailing list, but just in case...

Emanem & Psi News

see www.emanemdisc.com

Psi new releases - available early June:

AKI TAKASE piano quintet ‘Tarantella’ (1997) - psi 06.03

AKI TAKASE (piano), ALEKS KOLKOWSKI (violin), MAURICE HORSTHUIS (viola), TRISTAN HONSINGER (cello), NOBUYOSHI INO (bass). Aki Takase has been resident in Berlin for many years now and her relationship with Deutschland Radio resulted in several memorable sessions. Aki felt that this 1997 piano quintet (piano plus strings) deserved a wider audience and psi readily agreed. A fantastic session from an outstanding group of players. 65 minutes.

ADAM LINSON ‘Cut and Continuum’ (2006) - psi 06.04

Adam Linson made his debut recording with the ElectroAcoustic Ensemble's latest CD for ECM, The Eleventh Hour. Here is his first solo recording featuring his real time processing and sampling in a new approach to solo bass. 60 minutes.

EVAN PARKER ‘The Topography of the Lungs’ (1970) - psi 06.05

EVAN PARKER (soprano & tenor saxophones), DEREK BAILEY (guitar) and HAN BENNINK (percussion, etc). The Topography of the Lungs is considered a landmark recording in the history of improvised music. Back in print as a CD for the first time and for the first time in many years. Two previously unissued pieces from the same 1970 session have been found and added. 53 minutes.

Emanem new release - available early June:

ROSS BOLLETER "Secret Sandhills and satellites" (2001-5) - EMANEM 4128

Pieces for ruined pianos and pianos on the edge of ruin. For several years now, Ross Bolleter has been scouring around Western Australia and beyond looking for ruined pianos. He has found the right music for each instrument, and performed and recorded it. This collection contains some recent choice items recorded around Perth and Alice Springs. The main work, inspired by an Aborigine painting, is the 28-minute Secret Sandhills, a generally slow-moving work spliced together from performances on six ruins. There are also 10 shorter and generally faster Satellites, some of which were performed on two ruined pianos simultaneously. Fresh new sounds from decaying old instruments. 68 minutes.

All Emanem & Psi CDs are now available except 4002, 4015, 4042, 4067, 03.06 & 04.01 which are currently out of stock.

Has anyone heard this one, and if so, what are your thoughts on it? I apologize if it has been discussed before in this thread:

f8_1_b.JPG

I have it (this is a CD-R, btw) - listened to it only once quite some time ago, and remember liking it a lot (some blowhard stuff... Allen in good form)... will revisit it soon.

I heard the Max Nagl quartet set here recently (with Akchote, Margarida Garcia, and Marina Rosenfeld) was awful, but I didn't make it there myself.

Updated for June, PARIS Transatlantic Magazine

the Jason Kahn Japan tour diary here is an amazing read, more so the more familiar you are with all of the people involved. honesty is a rare thing from musicians writing in public, even if it's a seriously cranky form of honesty. the Loren Connors box review is also one of Dan's finer moments.

Guest Chaney

Surely you guys are on a mailing list, but just in case...

Probably same here but...

From the DMG newsletter:

THE [appx] 30TH ANNIVERSARY RE-RELEASE OF

ROBERT FRIPP - Exposure: Expanded Edition [2 CD set] (DGM 0602; USA)

THIS 2 CD SET INCLUDES UNRELEASED 'DARYL HALL' VERSIONS/MATERIAL ORIGINALLY DONE FOR THE ALBUM!

DISC ONE - "First Version": This is - ostensibly - the first released version of the album, as it appeared to the masses in 1979. Of course, the re-production mastering makes it sound different in places from the 1979 LP I personally transferred to CD for my listening pleasure [and I suspect there are other playful tweaks as well]

DISC TWO - "Third Version": This is a NEW COMPOSITE EDITION made up of takes/remixes of the 1979 edition appearing on the remixed/remastered version that first appeared in 1984 [implied as Second Version], AS WELL AS Daryl Hall versions of "Chicago", "Disengaged", and the original Hall lyric/vocal version of "NY3" [which substituted the singing with an audio verite tape of neighbors fighting in Fripp's building] here titled "New York New York New York" - the only lyrics not printed in the booklet, so you'll have to figure them out for yourself! This song IS NOT to be confused with 'NYCNY' [different lyrics and music] which is one of the original tracks for Last Great Heartthrob, and which did appear in another take on Hall's Sacred Song album.

This second disc ALSO HAS FIVE BONUS CUTS after the original running order of the album which include Hall vocal versions of "Mary" and "Exposure" as well as the alternate '84 versions of 'Disengaged" and "NY3", and a previously unknown to me Hammill AND Terre Roche vocals version of "Chicago"!

Which means out of eight Hall songs originally on the unreleased'...Heartthrob...' we get to hear seven of them in total here, five songs of which have never before been released with Hall vocals plus dual versions of the two which were previously released ["You Burn Me Up I'm A Cigarette" and "North Star"] BUT WE DO NOT GET the original '...Heartthrob...' version of "NYCNY', which admittedly is very close to the released version on Hall's 'Sacred Songs', nor do we get the trio version of 'Mary' mentioned in my letter below, though the inclusion of my mention of it in Fripp's liner notes act as a teaser - of things we still cannot have!

"Prior to this release, I had assigned a numbering system to establish versions of Exposure. The 1st would be the unreleased '78 version [variously titled 'The Last Great New York Heartthrob'] with Daryl Hall handling all vocal chores save on "Here Comes The Flood" (which Peter Gabriel performs). However, Tommy Mottola, Hall and Oates mgr, wouldn't let this come out unless it was a 'Hall And Fripp' record - AND released on RCA, not Fripp's label EG.

(By the way, the original running order on the Polydor test pressing - the hallowed artifact is in my collection and IS NOT a bootleg - for '...Heartthrob...' [originally cat # 5013] was:

SIDE ONE: Preface; You Burn Me Up I'm A Cigarette; North Star; Disengage; I Smile Like Chicago; Exposure; New York New York New York, Haaden Two

SIDE TWO: Mary; Breathless; NYCNY; 1st Inaugural Address; Water Music I; Here Comes The Flood: Water Music II; Postcript )

So Fripp paid a lot of money to keep two of the Hall takes ("You Burn Me Up, I'm A Cigarette" and "North Star") on what was, two years later ['79], ultimately released as 'Exposure', [which I counted as 2nd version] his 1st solo album, finally publicly released in a radical revamping-resequencing which found Fripp inviting all the musicians who had played live in the studio behind Hall to come back and replay their parts with vocalists Peter Hammill and Terri Roche. Unfortunately John Wetton, Tim Cappella, Alirio Lima, and Ian McDonald could not come back for this - they were, however, thanked in the liner notes. The album nonetheless involved a stellar amalgam of great talents: Brian Eno, Phil Collins, Tony Levin, Sid McGinniss (who all play together on "North Star"!) Narada Michael Walden (the latter-day Mahavishnu Orchestra drummer and later producer of Whitney Houston turns in a ferocious performance on the metal-cruncher instrumental "Breathless"), Barry Andrews (XTC, Shriekback), and Jerry Marotta (Gabriel's drummer for the 1st 15 years).

In 1984, Fripp digitally remixed the album in anticipation of the coming CD format [which I counted as 3rd version]. Among other tweaks he used a different vocal takes of Peter Hammill on "Chicago" and "Disengaged".

In 1989, Fripp and Tony Arnold did the Definite Edition 1989 remastering series [which I counted as 4th version], which included all the King Crimson studio albums, and Fripp's previously released three solo CDs. Further remixing/tweaking was apparent, including editing down the expanded 1984 length of "Water Music II" from 6'24" to 3'55".

This is version 5 [actually I've given up counting as this release so severely muddies the waters!], the 30th Anniversary Edition [in celebration of Fripp's 60th birthday 5/15/06] which on its 2 discs includes material from the unreleased 1st version!

"I remember when and where I first got this record - Soho Music Gallery in May 1979, possibly sold to me by either clerk John Zorn or Tim Berne whilst also picking up tickets to all eight Fripp Kitchen shows for the negligible price of $5 [for which you also got a free J G Bennett tape]

Well, I performed the unforgivable sin, though increasingly harder to avoid in contemporary life: listening to it the first time as background to other intrusions. But then, late that night.....!!! and hundreds of times since!

And at the Kitchen, I remember one crass individual going up to Fripp and telling him the only good thing about his Exposure album was Phil Collins' drumming on "Breathless". When Fripp told him that the drummer for that cut was Narada Michael Walden, said individual told him that then there was NOTHING good about his album [!]

But never mind the reminisce...

Looking back now, I'd say it became even stronger an album for it's having been reworked from the [then unknown] album version before it, which also served - including in a positive way - to distance it from what would have been a perceived trilogy with Sacred Songs and PG II.

Oh, by the way, did I forget to say that this album is still a stunner, nearly 30 years after the fact? From ballads to heavy metal crunchers, it shows the breadth and depth of Fripp's evolving interests as a then still young man of 31 years. And given its totally anomalous approach REMAINS AS UNIQUELY FRESH TODAY AS IT SOUNDED WAY BACK THEN!!

It's not a King Crimson album and it shouldn't be (many other group's 'stars' sorta miss that point when doing their 'solo' albums) but rather a personal diary of sorts - and a compelling program from start to finish! ONE OF THE ALL-TIME GOOGLEPLEX THUMBS-UP!!!" - MannyLunch

"It's the Sergeant Pepper of avant punk." - The Wire

LTD 2 CD 'MINI-LP COVER' ED $18

Also available as a Regular Jewel Case 2 CD edition $16

POSTSCRIPT -

By the way, in addition to the booklet containing the original liner notes and credits from alternate releases of the album, a segment of Fripp's online diary from last year is also printed, in which is contained an edited version of the following letter that MannyLunch sent to Sid Smith [author of 'In The Court Of King Crimson] as a submission for his 'Audience Diaries' site [which has not yet gone live]

"Hi Sid,

...I think there's very good chance you'll find great enjoyment in all the discs I sent you...

Perhaps you will be the pressure necessary to create a desire in Robert to finally put out a limited issue of the pre-Exposure recording. I know there are a lot of legal issues still to be resolved, but at this late date it may be possible to more easily arrive at an agreement with the parties involved [Daryl Hall and management], given the items that are falling out of the sky for so many artists as bonus tracks on CDs nowadays.

Hopefully it will include both Hall versions of "Mary". The CD I sent you is taken directly from an authentic white-label test pressing I purchased for the absolutely negligible sum of ÿ12 in Portobello Road November 1982 [2 days before I cut my trip short to fly back to NY to see Fripp's unannounced guest appearance with The Roches at Carnegie Hall, for which I had "inside" confirmation - an upcoming story] and contains the chosen version which only involves Hall & Fripp.

However, a tape that was given to me by an American exec at Polydor in 1983 has virtually the same version of this test pressing. The difference is that "Mary" is a trio with Tim Cappella [i think, not Ian McDonald] adding saxophone. [This is not on the CD I sent you because the tape was irreparably damaged in a fire in my building 13 years ago]

[This is extended assumption, but it seems to be borne out by careful listening] All the players who were thanked on the original commercial release of Exposure, but are not actually listed as players, actually played on the test pressing and/or uncommitted sessions for the album: Wetton, Cappella, Lima, MacDonald

When Fripp was essentially forced to replace Hall as vocalist on several numbers due to Tommy Mottola's untenable demand that the album be credited to "Daryl Hall & Robert Fripp" AND that it be released by RCA, he didn't just strip in new vocal takes over the existing takes - he re-assembled as many of the original players to play behind the new vocalists so that spontaneous interplay would be preserved.

Story # 6

A Funny story: The night before I attended Guitarcraft in late January '88, I went back to my record store, Lunch For Your Ears, at 2 AM [my train was leaving at 6 AM] to make last-minute preparations for the gentleman who'd be looking after it the week I'd be gone.

When I arrived, this very tall gentleman and his lady companion were closely scrutinizing the many obscure imported CDs on display through the gate over the window: Daryl Hall and lady friend. I just said a warm 'Hello"[without disclosing cognition of his identity] and as I started to open the padlocks they apologized for being there, which I waved off and said they were certainly welcome to step inside for the few minutes that I would be there.

[it turned out they were there looking at covers to get an idea of direction for graphics for his upcoming solo recording - the commercial disaster "Three Hearts In The Happy Ending Machine"]

AS they wandered around inside, I slipped in the tape copy I kept on premises of the test pressing on one side and the cassette version on the other. By amazing coincidence, where "Mary" ended on the middle of side one, the tape could be flipped and the other version of "Mary" would be cued up exactly. It was less a coincidence that I kept "Mary" cued up to begin with, as I used to amaze diehard fans with it [No copies were ever made for anyone, much to many a collector's ire, some who even went so far as to tell me that they wished I never played it for them if I wouldn't subsequently bless them with a copy. I guess they didn't understand the notion "Experience is nine tenths of possession"!]

Hall immediately started humming to the opening strains of the song, and at the moment the vocal came in started singing to the tape, instantaneously registering extreme amazement on his face to find he was dueting with himself!

Nonetheless, he performed the whole song in this fashion, with the tape, for his audience of two. You can imagine what an amazing moment that was!!!

When the song ended, he asked me where I had gotten this, and I told him that all things Fripp somehow seemed to find their way to me, being a super avid fan of said musician.

I returned to the area behind my counter, flipped the tape, and began the 2nd version. Hall looked at me with a mixture of askance and "put-upon-ness" for the few seconds it took to get to Capella's sax joining in with Fripp's guitar. At that point he exclaimed, "I've never heard this!" and listened in amazement to this trio version.

When it was finished, he said he had to have a copy of this. Tongue firmly in cheek, I told him that there were likely all sorts of legal reasons that I couldn't make him [and certainly not sell, not that I would've charged him anything] a copy. He responded that perhaps he could make a trade; what would I want? Before I could even respond, he said he had the perfect thing. He had tapes of Fripp SINGING [likely warbling] old English ribald folk songs, captured by chance when in the studio for the "Sacred Songs" sessions!

He gave me his managers # [oh no! Mottola] and told me to contact him through there.

Alas, it was never to be. All calls made to management mentioning that Daryl asked me to contact him through there were stonewalled.

I never told Fripp about this when I arrived at Claymont: I was there for serious reasons, not to beleaguer him as a "fan".

But you could send this story along to him if you wish, I'm sure he would get a kick out of it...

Best regards till next time,

Manny Maris"

OF COURSE, THIS VERSION OF "MARY" IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION!

Fripp including my edited email serves as a teaser [of the 60th Anniversary Ed? One may not live that long...] , and to remind us all that we can never live the experiences [no, not even just the recorded performances, 'studio' or otherwise] of another fully.

Copeland is good, IMO (have his very tasteful solo on Sketch).

I find his solo on SKETCH absolutely blank.

Like most of his records, by the way, or the records he has been involved in

To my ear, a poor man version of PAUL BLEY.

RUSS LOSSING, on hatOLOGY who is in the same lineage, sound much more interesting to me, even if they both are in a very common (because the three-quarter of the WHITE pianists on the planet, today, play in such manner) post BILL EVANS/ KEITH JARRETT esthetic.

Edited by P.L.M

Guest Chaney

Just had a first listen to We Concentrate (hatOLOGY 626), Chris Wiesendanger (piano), Christian Weber (double bass) and Dieter Ulrich (drums). Very fine and to be recommended -- kinda has a Sketch feel -- but far from what I'd like to see issuing from Hat; much too safe.

Tunes by Carla Bley [3], Porter, Annette Peacock, V. Young, Gershwin and one original.

Nice material for a blindfold test.

+ + + + + + + + + +

Hat site has been updated.

Edited by Chaney

Just had a first listen to We Concentrate (hatOLOGY 626), Chris Wiesendanger (piano), Christian Weber (double bass) and Dieter Ulrich (drums). Very fine and to be recommended -- kinda has a Sketch feel -- but far from what I'd like to see issuing from Hat; much too safe.

Tunes by Carla Bley [3], Porter, Annette Peacock, V. Young, Gershwin and one original.

Nice material for a blindfold test.

+ + + + + + + + + +

I was at the concert this comes from - very nice, indeed! Rather soft, pensative music... Ulrich is a familiar name on the local scene, Weber is starting to make himself a name, popping up here and there and doing a few projects, and Wiesendanger is one of the finest pianists around here. And the selection of compositions is indeed mighty fine and far from obvious. I'll need to find myself a copy of the disc, too!

Guest Chaney

Anyone have any comments on the Charhizma label?

what do you want to know?

Background and general philosophy of the label would be interesting. Any personal contact with the label owner(s)? Who runs the label? (Christof Kurzmann? Who he?) Recommendations? Titles to avoid? Is the label known for having a particular sound?

Background and general philosophy of the label would be interesting. Any personal contact with the label owner(s)? Who runs the label? (Christof Kurzmann? Who he?) Recommendations? Titles to avoid? Is the label known for having a particular sound?

Christof Kurzmann runs Charhizma, he's a Viennese musician who's lived in Berlin for a while, and his releases are almost all drawn from these two scenes. I still don't really understand your specific taste at all, so I'm not sure what here would appeal to you, it's mostly electroacoustic or electroacoustic-influenced music of one kind or another. Christof also dabbles in poppier areas at times, the B.Fleischmann discs are very big sellers.

their "orange" release is probably the first classic in this area, still maybe the best release they've done:

http://www.charhizma.com/quart/index.html

the Neumann/Krebs, Efzeg and Fagaschinski/Gal are also all recommended.

have you heard any/many of the Vienna releases on my label? I'd recommend most of those over most of these, the Siewert/Brandlmayr or the Stangl/Kurzmanns or the Polwechsel/Fennesz or the Stangl/Dieb13 or the Neumann/Beins.

Hat Art has also begun releasing more and more discs from this scene, fairly hit and miss so far, with a new Polwechsel just out, and an Efzeg imminent also.

Guest Chaney

Thanks very much for the information, Jon.

My June music budget is kaputt but any upcoming Erst sales? Maybe one of those $10 a pop deals like you had last year?

+ + + + + + + + + +

It's almost always a bad sign when I finally get around to better appreciating a form of music...

has eai alredy gone the way the Macarena did?

~~~~~~~~~~

I had ordered a copy of Bhob Rainey: The Withered Grasses from The Jazz Loft but found that it's OOP.

If anyone is interested, CDeMUSIC has four copies.

Edited by Chaney

Anyone have any comments on the Charhizma label?

what do you want to know?

Tony, you provocator, this is a loaded question. You know that I bought loads of Charhizma releases (from our own jon abbey) some time ago. You also know that I am quite unable to formulate my thoughts about this EAI stuff, other than "I like it" / "I don't like it" (sometimes I cannot even do as much). But, contrary to your expectations I'll be able to recommend one specifically: efzeg - "wuerm" (cha 028). Very carefully designed and executed music. Check out a lot of efzeg samples here.

In general, check out the Charhizma samples on the label page.

Christof Kurzmann runs Charhizma, he's a Viennese musician who's lived in Berlin for a while, and his releases are almost all drawn from these two scenes. I still don't really understand your specific taste at all, so I'm not sure what here would appeal to you, it's mostly electroacoustic or electroacoustic-influenced music of one kind or another. Christof also dabbles in poppier areas at times, the B.Fleischmann discs are very big sellers.

their "orange" release is probably the first classic in this area, still maybe the best release they've done:

http://www.charhizma.com/quart/index.html

the Neumann/Krebs, Efzeg and Fagaschinski/Gal are also all recommended.

have you heard any/many of the Vienna releases on my label? I'd recommend most of those over most of these, the Siewert/Brandlmayr or the Stangl/Kurzmanns or the Polwechsel/Fennesz or the Stangl/Dieb13 or the Neumann/Beins.

Hat Art has also begun releasing more and more discs from this scene, fairly hit and miss so far, with a new Polwechsel just out, and an Efzeg imminent also.

Knowing your tastes a bit I woudl actually advice against Siewert/Brandlmayr "Too Beautiful to Burn" on Erstwhile - I found it lite and soft to an extent of bordering on new age. Too safe, IMO. Was not too happy about Stangl/Kurzmann duscs either - also felt too comfortable for me. But Polweschel/Fennesz disc ("Wrapped Islands") I liked a lot - one of my favorite Ersts. Haven't listened to Neumann/Beins yet, I think.

Jon could you stock up on the Charhizma items you are not carrying currently? - I would buy them from you.

Edited by Д.Д.

The 11 CD/1 DVD set of percussionist Vladimir Tarasov's ATTO pieces appears to be nearing release:

http://www.leorecords.com/?m=select&id=CD_LR_817/828

I was at the release party 4-5 months ago (with shy arts student girls who designed the covers for the CDs in the set in attendance). I like Tarasov, one of my favorite drummers, but I am not sure I really need 11 of his solo drum discs.

Will I get this set? Surely I will. Eventually. (If the price is no more than USD90.)

Did I mention that the set was sponsoired by The Ford Foundation? I find it quite amusing (and admirable).

Edited by Д.Д.