• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tony, you provocator...

:w

By the way, mister, you owe us some reviews.

2k06200cb3f4.jpg

I know, I know... :blush: And what I saw/heard (both Broetzmann and Doerner/Capece) is worth discussing... - but I am on vacation! Till next week! So don't expect me putting any effort into anything.

The 11 CD/1 DVD set of percussionist Vladimir Tarasov's ATTO pieces appears to be nearing release:

http://www.leorecords.com/?m=select&id=CD_LR_817/828

I was at the release party 4-5 months ago (with shy arts student girls who designed the covers for the CDs in the set in attendance). I like Tarasov, one of my favorite drummers, but I am not sure I really need 11 of his solo drum discs.

Will I get this set? Surely I will. Eventually. (If the price is no more than USD90.)

Did I mention that the set was sponsoired by The Ford Foundation? I find it quite amusing (and admirable).

I'm presuming this is mostly previously released material. Not sure if I need 11 CDs of solo percussion either, but I'll buy it anyway, especially if is as well done as past major undertakings by Leo (ie. Document, Conspiracy, Divine Madness).

The 11 CD/1 DVD set of percussionist Vladimir Tarasov's ATTO pieces appears to be nearing release:

I was at the release party 4-5 months ago (with shy arts student girls who designed the covers for the CDs in the set in attendance). I like Tarasov, one of my favorite drummers, but I am not sure I really need 11 of his solo drum discs.

Will I get this set? Surely I will. Eventually. (If the price is no more than USD90.)

Did I mention that the set was sponsoired by The Ford Foundation? I find it quite amusing (and admirable).

I'm presuming this is mostly previously released material. Not sure if I need 11 CDs of solo percussion either, but I'll buy it anyway, especially if is as well done as past major undertakings by Leo (ie. Document, Conspiracy, Divine Madness).

Well, I don't have any of the previous large Leo boxes, but this one is very handsome.

IIrc, all but one discs are previously released (and still available individually).

Jon could you stock up on the Charhizma items you are not carrying currently? - I would buy them from you.

we have a lot of them in stock now, what are you looking for exactly?

Jon, I bought every Charhizma CD you carry - so whatever you do not have, are the ones I need. Edited by Д.Д.

Well, I don't have any of the previous large Leo boxes, but this one is very handsome.

IIrc, all but one discs are previously released (and still available individually).

Three of the CDs and the DVD have not been released before. I do not think the eight CDs previously available on Sonore are easy to find now - officially they have been OOP for years.

This is NOT 11 CDs of solo drums/solo percussion! Some of the discs even are not solo Tarasov.

As to the design: This is NOT a Leo release, but a Long Arms release, although it seemingly is a co-production of the two labels with Leo being clearly in the second place. At least the version I own has got nothing to do with the usual (large) Leo CD box design... maybe Leo is going to release a different version? (which I do not expect them to do, but what do I know).

Guest Chaney

My June music budget is kaputt but any upcoming Erst sales? Maybe one of those $10 a pop deals like you had last year?

the sale you're talking about is a February thing thus far, but if you buy 5 single discs at any time, it's only $55 including shipping within the US.

Nice!

Jon, I bought every Charhizma CD you carry - so whatever you do not have, are the ones I need.

yeah, that's not helpful. I'm sure there are some you're not interested in, B. Fleischmann to start, and I don't have a list of what you bought. so if you take a look at the site (charhizma.com), and let me know which you'd like, I'll see if we can get them next time we get a box from Christof.

Three of the CDs and the DVD have not been released before. I do not think the eight CDs previously available on Sonore are easy to find now - officially they have been OOP for years.

This is NOT 11 CDs of solo drums/solo percussion! Some of the discs even are not solo Tarasov.

As to the design: This is NOT a Leo release, but a Long Arms release, although it seemingly is a co-production of the two labels with Leo being clearly in the second place. At least the version I own has got nothing to do with the usual (large) Leo CD box design... maybe Leo is going to release a different version? (which I do not expect them to do, but what do I know).

As I remember from the press conference, Leo was brought into the process relatively late, and as a worldwide distirbution partner mainly.

Jon, I bought every Charhizma CD you carry - so whatever you do not have, are the ones I need.

yeah, that's not helpful. I'm sure there are some you're not interested in, B. Fleischmann to start, and I don't have a list of what you bought. so if you take a look at the site (charhizma.com), and let me know which you'd like, I'll see if we can get them next time we get a box from Christof.

I am actually quite interested in B. Fleischmann disc(s)... I'll send you an e-mail with CHarhizma titles I still need one of these days.

------------------------------

New one on balancepointacoustics: available now: bpa 011 - "Sextessence" - john butcher/aaron bennett/henry kaiser/danielle degruttola/damon smith/jerome bryerton

Bennett/Butcher combination is very intriguing...

And another tasty-looking new release: nperign / Jason Lescalleet - "Love me too times" on intransitive.

Edited by Д.Д.

Thanks for clarifying. I've heard ATTO I and V before and I'd be interested in what the instrumentation/personnel are on the other discs.

Cadence still has quite a few of the Sonore discs.

I wonder if Leo got involved after Nick Dmitriev's death.

Guest Chaney

Don't you want our money, Jon? :w

jon abbey

ErstDist sale section

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so ErstDist has added a sale section for the first time ever, in which we've put a whole lot of discs that we've had around for a while. some quality stuff there at good prices, please take a look:

http://www.erstwhilerecords.com/distro.html, then click on Sale.

Edited by Chaney

Don't you want our money, Jon? :w

jon abbey

ErstDist sale section

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so ErstDist has added a sale section for the first time ever, in which we've put a whole lot of discs that we've had around for a while. some quality stuff there at good prices, please take a look:

http://www.erstwhilerecords.com/distro.html, then click on Sale.

Yeah, Jon don't be shy about it, bring it on.

hehe, just eating dinner, kids. I was going to get to you, go for it :D

so North Country has evidently dropped Hat Art, because Werner U. started going directly through a couple of outlets in the US (I believe just DMG and Jazz Loft). we may be stocking some titles also, but only if I can get Werner to drop his suggested retail prices from $20 (reasonable in Europe, too high here). I talked to Bruce/DMG about this today, and he wants to do the same thing, so we'll see.

Guest Chaney

FMP seemed to be dormant but this is still a shocker:

With the completion and delivery for publication of the FMP productions CD 125 to CD 128 in 2004 the work of the label with regards new productions is terminated.

Owing to insufficient promotion and marketing, unfortunately only the originally agreed numbers could be achieved over the last years.

Other productions, already planned und in some cases with completed masters remain unpublished, including tapes with recordings of:

Ernst-Ludwig Petrowsky Selbdritt Ensemble

(New edition of old and unpublished recordings from 1998)

Peter Brötzmann / Die like a Dog Quartet

(Unpublished recordings from 1994)

Xpact / King Übü Örchestrü

(New edition / compilation / also with unpublished material from 1984)

Ulrich Gumpert / Günter Sommer

(New edition of old and unpublished recordings from 1998)

Rüdiger Carl / Hans Reichel / Jin Hi Kim / Carlos Zingaro

(Unpublished recordings from 1999)

Ulrich Gumpert Workshop Band

(New edition / compilation)

http://www.fmp-label.de/index_en.html <--- Turn your sound down before visiting this site as it's VERY LOUD.

~~~~~~~~~~

New one on balancepointacoustics: available now: bpa 011 - "Sextessence" - john butcher/aaron bennett/henry kaiser/danielle degruttola/damon smith/jerome bryerton

Bennett/Butcher combination is very intriguing...

And another tasty-looking new release: nperign / Jason Lescalleet - "Love me too times" on intransitive.

I received Sextessence from DMG and will be giving it a first spin today. In case it's not known: a tribute to John Stevens and the SME.

Love Me Two Times reviewed by Brian Olewnick over at Bags

Edited by Chaney

With the completion and delivery for publication of the FMP productions CD 125 to CD 128 in 2004 the work of the label with regards new productions is terminated.

No good. I assume with new website and all that, old FMP releases will be maintained in print.

I wonder if TMM will still take place? Last TMM had 2-3 interesting concerts - I was hoping they would get released on FMP one day.

As for the already "ready for release" stuff, probably Atavistic could help ;)?

Edited by Д.Д.

No good. I assume with new website and all that, old FMP releases will be maintained in print.

I wonder if TMM will still take place? Last TMM had 2-3 interesting concerts - I was hoping they would get released on FMP one day.

Just heard about this here--not entirely shocking, but I'm still a little surprised. I hope the catalogue remains in print--I'd been holding out on far too many (and, cripes, after-market prices are going to skyrocket).

Just heard about this here--not entirely shocking, but I'm still a little surprised. I hope the catalogue remains in print--I'd been holding out on far too many (and, cripes, after-market prices are going to skyrocket).

The best prices for FMP I've found are from themusicresource.com, and surprisingly they have most of them available.

Guest Chaney

This deserves it's a dedicated thread topic. Chaney or someone please start it.

Feel free to start a thread. (I would but I wouldn't know where to put it.)

The best prices for FMP I've found are from themusicresource.com, and surprisingly they have most of them available.

:tup Edited by Chaney

From Damon Smith:

The Quartet I recorded with Marco Eneidi, Peter Kowald & Spirit in 2000 is Finally out on the Polish label NOTTWO. It is a cd in a mini Gatefold LP cover.

The cover and one track are on my myspace player: http://myspace.com/smithdamon

You if you would like a copy you can pay by paypal $15 pp to damon at balancepointacoustics.com

damon smith

http://www.balancepointacoustics.com

http://myspace.com/smithdamon

Guest Chaney

If it matters, these are CDRs.

Welcome to the Sprout website. Sorry for the inconvenience but the site is still under construction. In the meantime, please contact Mike Parker at michaelantonparker@gmail.com. Sprout is an artisanal music publisher that recently launched operations with two releases:

Jack Wright, Michel Doneda, Tatsuya Nakatani: No Stranger to Air (Sprout 1)

Jack Wright and Michael Johnsen: Truant Runts (Sprout 2)

Both discs are available for US$10 each. Payment can be made through Paypal to sproutandflora@gmail.com. Shipping is free anywhere in the world.

from between was the inaugural release on Daniel Yang's elegantly austere SOS Editions imprint, but it's since become the name of the group by default. It's a trio consisting of saxophonists Jack Wright and Michel Doneda and percussionist Tatsuya Nakatani, and this second outing – also a label-launching release, the label in question this time being Michael Anton Parker's Sprout – was recorded live on March 1st last year at Pied Nu in Le Havre, France. Le Havre isn't your average Frenchperson's dream town: it's a grey, rainy windswept port at the mouth of the Seine that was mercilessly bombed to bits by the Allies in World War II and subsequently rebuilt more or less from scratch. Though the rectilinear, imposing concrete architecture of Auguste Perret might not be to everyone's taste, the city was recently (to the considerable surprise of many of its inhabitants) designated as UNESCO World Heritage. This album should be, too. Wright and Doneda have been active on the improv scene for over twenty years, but their playing has evolved considerably over the past five in response to the drastic overhaul of vocabulary prompted by the music's recent flirtation with ultra-minimalism (lowercase, reductionism.. take your pick). Percussionist Nakatani was also briefly associated with Boston lowercase pioneers nmperign, appearing on their debut album 44'38"/5 back in 1998, and has continued to explore the quieter end of the dynamic spectrum in his excellent Blue Collar trio with Steve Swell and Nate Wooley. But there's nothing lowercase about any of the playing here, least of all Nakatani's. He's a one man percussion ensemble, extending his kit with assorted metallic bric-a-brac which he drags, scrapes, rubs, sings into and moves around, creating such a racket you could swear he has six arms. Wright and Doneda are just as impressive, sounding like anything from a hive of angry bees to a litter of panic-stricken kittens trying to escape from a hefty bag. The music is complex and dense, demanding but fascinating, and never chatty and nervous. In that respect it's learned its lowercase lesson well. These men find beauty in the kinds of sounds your mum told you never to make at the dinner table, just as those far-sighted folks from UNESCO found beauty in the streets of Le Havre as the cold rain blew in from the sea.Dan Warburton

Edited by Chaney