Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unlawful Noise never really made it with me, although I love everyone involved and the album never really came across as bad... perhaps I was just hearing too much "first time" Euro free improv at the time, but it felt like a bit of "wash". One thing I can say, though--the brothers Bennink do play wonderfully in this larger ensemble, and it makes me wish for more from Peter. Of course, I've always been impressed by the sheer versatility of all the Blue Notes--Moholo and Dyani are top flight improvisers... makes me wish for some stuff by the hailed, if generally "unheard" Brotzmann/Miller/Moholo trio.

Moholo also smokes on Pleasure, which is, IMO, one of the very finest entires in the entire UMS. The transparency of the ensemble really allows the rhythm section to shine through, and their interactions sometimes verge on psychodrama--it's compelling, and very rewarding stuff. Moholo's a groover, no doubt--but he's also among the most receptive, sensitive drummers in more "out" improvisation.

What's to say about the later South African improvisers, anyway? I cannot identify too many "name" players among the younger SA improvisers, and far fewer if we take the later Ogun catalogue out of the mix... perhaps there's more to be heard--and lord knows I'd love too--but the press is remarkably sparse.

The Miller - Moholo team is almost always awesome...although I often cannot STAND Harry's bass sound.

p.s. listening to the reissue of Spirits Rejoice and Bra-Louis Bra-Tebs again last night. Great playing - obviously on the Spirits... session, but the later one also. Jason Yarde is fantastic on it.

On the subject of Louis' bands - how about Viva La Black, with Sean Bergin in it? He's an often really interesting player (nice composer/arranger too) IMHO.

Guest the mommy

redd, why can't you stand miller's bass sound?

so this is random but now that we have had a year-ish to digest, which of these free america discs do you all think are the best. i ask because a bunch have popped up locally and i was thinking of plugging my gaps before they are gone for good.

i still haven't heard the waldron/lacy one or the lacy one. i haven't heard the braxton or the shepp or the AEC or emergency ones for a while and don't own any of them right now.

i have the burrell, the thornton, the shorter and the rudd ones.

think i "need" to get any of the other ones?

the presence of noel mcghie makes the lacy-related ones interesting.

redd, why can't you stand miller's bass sound?

so this is random but now that we have had a year-ish to digest, which of these free america discs do you all think are the best. i ask because a bunch have popped up locally and i was thinking of plugging my gaps before they are gone for good.

i still haven't heard the waldron/lacy one or the lacy one. i haven't heard the braxton or the shepp or the AEC or emergency ones for a while and don't own any of them right now.

i have the burrell, the thornton, the shorter and the rudd ones.

think i "need" to get any of the other ones?

the presence of noel mcghie makes the lacy-related ones interesting.

I have half of the Free Americas. The ones I listen to the most are the Thornton and, suprisingly, the Shepp (though I wish they had put a little more distance between Chicago Beau and the mic). Braxton's Donna Lee is a must have; the 2-CD solo is one of his best if you like sax solos. Phase One is fantastic; Certain Blacks is not my cup of tea. The Waldron/Lacy disc didn't appeal to me at first, but I've come to really like it; The Gap is a good one as well.

The Frank Wright is beyond belief (better, maybe, than the bulk of Noah Howard's own work in the same vein, but he's here too and is the writer on the session). Phase One is, indeed, the shizznit. And I'm with B on Black Gipsy--it's actually some of the most galvanizing, powerful music Shepp ever put together (the title track is like a more "unhinged" "Haitian Fight Song")--it gets better and better on every listen. Sleeper hit? I think so.

Guest the mommy

i didn't really like the shepp when i heard it.

no, i did actually like the second two tracks but the first one...that drumbeat with the dude saying cheesy stuff over it (if i stole your heart, would i be a thief?) was not so fun for me. i guess i should check it out again.

Of Free America's I thought Burrell and Thornton were the best, and for me, the only really essential discs in the series. Shepp I found extremely weak - and I am quite a fan of this period of Shepp (check out Blasé on BYG for his good work from this period). Braxton's solo is OK, but I like his later solo recordings more (like solo Milano and Köln from late '70s released on Leo). Braxton's "Donna Lee" is quite superficial, mannered and dated. Of AEoC stuff "Phase One" is good, but not really on the level of their best works (like "Fanfare for the Warriors" or "People in Sorrow"). The rest is between merely average (Wright) and weak (Bley, Lacy, Rudd). I need to revisit Emergency - don't remember it too well.

Of Free America's I thought Burrell and Thornton were the best, and for me, the only really essential discs in the series. Shepp I found extremely weak - and I am quite a fan of this period of Shepp (check out Blasé on BYG for his good work from this period). Braxton's solo is OK, but I like his later solo recordings more (like solo Milano and Köln from late '70s released on Leo). Braxton's "Donna Lee" is quite superficial, mannered and dated. Of AEoC stuff "Phase One" is good, but not really on the level of their best works (like "Fanfare for the Warriors" or "People in Sorrow"). The rest is between merely average (Wright) and weak (Bley, Lacy, Rudd). I need to revisit Emergency - don't remember it too well.

You're a fan of the Shepp BYG's, then? There's some dross in this period, but it may represent some of the most virtuosic "free" tenor ever waxed... there's certainly some disappointment in that Black Gipsy is (mainly) a soprano feature--sometimes it sounds like a concerto for Leroy Jenkins to me--but I wouldn't say it's any worse (it's more interesting, probably) than a lot Shepp's live Paris dates from the period. At the very least, the band is hot to play.

Re: the Braxton discs... that "Donna Lee" never really connected with me, either (especially considering how well some of his other free-ish "standards" dates have fared--especially the ones with Dave Holland).

Guest the mommy

yeah bley on keyboards gives me a headache. i forgot about that one.

he sucks the life out of keyboards, IMO.

i like a lot of shepp's BYGs. oddly, i don't like blase at all.

but the live double one with the full moon ensemble, poem for malcom, yasmina, coral rock (not a byg)-i like all those better than blase, i think.

double D-even though the sound sucks, i find the rudd a fun little romp. it has grown on me. i had it and sold it and just rebought it and like it a lot better. the frank wright is pretty good too, i think. i like the "commercial" aspect of having shorter palatable tracks.

i remember phase one had a lot of dicking around on it and not so much meat but it did hit hard for a few minutes, if i remember....

the thornton is my favorite.

and the burrell sounds like nothing else i own. i enjoy it a lot, also.

double D-even though the sound sucks, i find the rudd a fun little romp. it has grown on me. i had it and sold it and just rebought it and like it a lot better. the frank wright is pretty good too, i think. i like the "commercial" aspect of having shorter palatable tracks.

I don't like Rudd in general - a one-trick pony, IMO. For some reason I have quite a few (10 or so)discs with him in my collection... - the only one where I like his playing is Marcello Melis's disc on Black Saint "The New Village on the Left" - some really beautiful stuff.

I stand by the Shepp, Thornton, Wright and Emergency as among the best music of the period. The Emergency is particularly unique... they have another LP on Kwela that I'd like to get at some point, just haven't had the patience to deal with FuckBay on it.

I know a lot of people don't agree with me on this, but the Rudd is a beautiful date - as are all of his records from the 60s. I'm less convinced by some of his mid-70s material, though Blown Bone is fantastic. In fact, I was surprised that I like that one as much as I do...

Can't follow whatsisname on Perelman, though I'm sure he's heard more of him than I have.

Shepp ca. 69-70 is a mixed bag, but there are some strong ones. "Touareg" from Blase is a motherfucker - over the years of spinning it, the nuances of that performance have really crept out.

Edited by clifford_thornton

Yeah--Shepp is a bitch when he cuts into that pianoless burnout bag. He can go a million places, but I've always enjoyed him the most just floating over a great bass/drum duo.

That trio on Horo looks intriguing; for whatever reason I never picked it up. Probably because it's a Horo and I rarely have kept any title on that label for very long.

Just posted two clips from the recent Tony Hymas / Evan Parker duo performance on YouTube:

Same old, same old, eh? Quite pleasant, nonetheless. Thanks for posting.

I wish I could have gotten the better parts of the show. There were some breathtaking moments that went uncaptured.