Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Which makes me wonder why Denardo doesn't appear on more sessions that aren't hosted by his father, since his (present) percussion style is idiosyncratic and versatile enough to fit, I think, into a variety of contexts.

Same here. I'd think everyone would want to play with him too.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

clifford_thornton's reply to my question on a thread about Guiseppe Logan's return to playing alerted me to Alipio C Neto, Aram Shelton and Matt Bauder and a bit of emusicing later, I have heard all three and been back for seconds on Alipio C Neto. Strong stuff, full of passion but never out of control. I'm also a fan of James Finn's Ginkgo Leaf releases and would like to hear the two early dates of his I haven't heard yet.

Yeah, no reply to the last two or three emails I sent to James Finn. Very puzzling how the guy was virtually unknown for so many years, then surfaced suddenly, then vanished again. I highly recommend Great Spirit on Not Two if you haven't got it--it's his only release with a piano on it, & it's great. When we last talked he was talking about working with Matt Shipp & Craig Taborn, & about doing an album of jazz standards as a piano duet.

Edited by Nate Dorward

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a feature on Ars Nova Workshop from WHYY......

http://whyy.org/cms/news/2009/03/06/experi...iladelphia/3824

Christman founded Ars Nova Workshop in 2000. The nonprofit group organizes performances of old and new experimental music. In the coming months, he’ll be creating a record label to get the performances from the past decade out to the wider world of jazz lovers.

Check out this list of past performances!!!!

http://arsnovaworkshop.com/frame_archive.html

Just talked with Jim McAuley on the phone last night (first time we'd been in touch since the new year)--was pleased to hear that there's an Acoustic Guitar Trio disc coming out from Long Song Records. I've heard a CDR of it--it's a live date called Vignes, a very strong performance.

Reports on the Gerry Hemingway discs are very good but I haven't heard them myself yet. The earlier Butcher/Hemingway disc on Red Toucan was a big disappointment because it was recorded too early in their partnership, during a rather strange period in Hemingway's career (circa Songs), but I gather the new one is several cuts above.

• 2 weeks later...

(although with bass rather than guitar!)...am recording with this group for Bo'Weavil tomorrow (fortunately a B3 rather than this keyboard, excellent though it is!). Featuring the phenomenal rhythm section of Steve Noble John Edwards - always a real privilege to play with (has anyone checked out their trio records on Bo'Weavil with, respectively, Alex Ward and Alan Wilkinson?)

Hey! that's great to see! Yes, I know Bo'Weavil's output well--in fact, I put a track from the Ward/Edwards/Noble disc on my latest BFT ("The Persuaders"). Judging from what I've heard so far the label seems to have an interesting free-but-groovy aesthetic that I like a lot. -- Not a lot of avantish organ trios come to mind, though (even if it's tune-based) Michiel Braam's Wurli Trio might be one (& then there's Wayne Peet...).

From the new DMG newsletter.....

Shoji Hano's own new label Heart Lord!

PETER BROTZMANN/SHOJI HANO - Funny Rat/S 2 (Heart Lord; Japan) Funny Rat/S1 was released on the IMJ [improvised Music Japn] label - an amazing rave-up. More intensity is found here on S2!

CD $25

PETER BROTZMANN/SHOJI HANO - Funny Rat/S 3 (Heart Lord; Japan)

[please note: our full order of this one did not arrive, so you may be back-oredered on it for a short time]

CD $25

SHOJI HANO - Drums (Heart Lord; Japan) Drums in this case means a slightly non-standard kit of bass drum,two tom-toms, two cymbals and a hi-hat. No snare, the drum that usually sits at the heart of a kit. Deprived of its crisp articulations, Hano relies much more on toms and hi-hat than would normally be the case,producing a sound that owes more to rock music than jazz. Having said that his approach is far from monolithia, and technically he's light years ahead of all but the best rock drummers -and,for that matter jazz drummers too. Of the five pieces on Drums, "Improvisation3", which features cymbals,and "Improvisation4", which initially draws sounds out of near silence, are the tracks, I'll most often return to , but drummers will marvel at everything he does. - Brian Marley, Wire

CD $25

• 1 year later...

Free and Lovely

Five gentle and lyrical favorites from avant leaning artists

John Carter Bobby Bradford Quartet - Abstractions for Three Lovers from Flight for Four

Sonny Simmons - Things and Beings from Burning Spirits

John Coltrane - Welcome from Kulu Se Mama

Archie Shepp - There is a Balm in Gilead from Blase

Walt Dickerson - Universal Peace from Peace

Edited by randyhersom

• 9 months later...