Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

An idea I really like is something I saw that Mego is doing. Offer relatively inexpensive digital downloads. If you want to pay the $ for an expensive vinyl only release you can do so, but you can also get the music for a lot less money and the artists get something out of the deal either way.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An idea I really like is something I saw that Mego is doing. Offer relatively inexpensive digital downloads. If you want to pay the $ for an expensive vinyl only release you can do so, but you can also get the music for a lot less money and the artists get something out of the deal either way.

I think Drimala and Leo are doingthe same now (Leo started offering full OGG downloads (aparentyl sound bettr than WMA and MP3 of the same bitrate) of some his releases this month).

Tony loves Frank - guess this is an Italian thing, right? Didn't know there were any fans among the rat pack, but somehow it is obvious if only from the title of this thread...  :w

DAMN! Looks like I've been outed.

Don't really care for Frank the person, I just like his voice.

I also like Dean Martin (I have all of the Bear Family sets) and Doris Day (I have three of the four Bear Family sets).

Mmmmmm.... cheese.....

Tony loves Frank - guess this is an Italian thing, right? Didn't know there were any fans among the rat pack, but somehow it is obvious if only from the title of this thread...  :w

DAMN! Looks like I've been outed.

Don't really care for Frank the person, I just like his voice.

I also like Dean Martin (I have all of the Bear Family sets) and Doris Day (I have three of the four Bear Family sets).

Mmmmmm.... cheese.....

Tony, I like Sinatra as well, but haven't got more than five or six of his CDs so far (Sinatra at the Sands, Swiging Lovers, Come Fly With Me, that Capitol mood album he did after breaking up with Ava Gardner, with "I Get Along Without You Very Well" in a very nice version, the Australian live recording, and Sinatra-Basie).

Well, sorry for going off topics. The "funny rat pack" though looks like they should be locked up for society's safety...

Item ID: ECD 1019

Artist: Futtermann, Joel

Title: Inner Conversations

Price: $5.00

40' of music by the quartet of Jimmy Lyons-alto sax, Richard Davis-bass, Robert Atkins-drums & Joel Futterman-piano, plus an additional 7 tracks of solo piano music by Joel. Any chance to hear the great Jimmy Lyons blow alto is worth picking up, and at this price... [Ear Rational]

Wayside Music

Just wanted to tell you all that I ordered the Futterman (don't at all know him, ordered it for Lyons mainly, and yes, I wonder about Richard Davis, too!), along with two other offers on that site, a Lacy solo set, "Snips", 2CDs for 6$, and Frank Lowe's "Fresh" (7$). Shipping IS steep (10$), but at the current exchange rate, it will be ok in the end.

ubu

Item ID: ECD 1019     

Artist: Futtermann, Joel

Title: Inner Conversations

Price: $5.00

40' of music by the quartet of Jimmy Lyons-alto sax, Richard Davis-bass, Robert Atkins-drums & Joel Futterman-piano, plus an additional 7 tracks of solo piano music by Joel. Any chance to hear the great Jimmy Lyons blow alto is worth picking up, and at this price... [Ear Rational]

Wayside Music

Just wanted to tell you all that I ordered the Futterman (don't at all know him, ordered it for Lyons mainly, and yes, I wonder about Richard Davis, too!), along with two other offers on that site, a Lacy solo set, "Snips", 2CDs for 6$, and Frank Lowe's "Fresh" (7$). Shipping IS steep (10$), but at the current exchange rate, it will be ok in the end.

ubu

Let us know about them!

Futterman is excellent -and everybody here should check out his very intense Southern Extreme (Drimala) with Kidd Jordan.

I will let you know, yes, but I suppose till they arrive AND I find time to listen, that special offer might be gone...

By the way, David, I found time to really sit down and give those Georgian chorales a concentrated listen last night. Beautiful beautiful music! Thanks a lot again for that CD!

By the way, David, I found time to really sit down and give those Georgian chorales a concentrated listen last night. Beautiful beautiful music! Thanks a lot again for that CD!

Glad you liked them. This is unique music that I find truly invigorative.

Some of them are improvised, btw (I am not sure improivsed ones are on the CD I gave you, though), and the way the three-voice improvised parts are built is really fascinating.

Some of them are improvised, btw (I am not sure improivsed ones are on the CD I gave you, though), and the way the three-voice improvised parts are built is really fascinating.

I read the booklet, but it's not clear indeed if anyhting on the CD is improvised, but the text states this ensemble is the best one in improvising. I like the rougher Hallelujah-kind-of-chorales a lot. I have been a tiny bit into renaissance music and early polyphonics (some Machaut, Dufay, Ockeghem etc), and this really is different. Will have to share it with a friend of mine who's into that kind of music a lot.

I read the booklet, but it's not clear indeed if anyhting on the CD is improvised, but the text states this ensemble is the best one in improvising. I like the rougher Hallelujah-kind-of-chorales a lot. I have been a tiny bit into renaissance music and early polyphonics (some Machaut, Dufay, Ockeghem etc), and this really is different. Will have to share it with a friend of mine who's into that kind of music a lot.

It is absolutely unique. I have quite a lot of early vocal music, and the closest thing I've heard to Georgian polyphonic singing is Sardenian singing - but Georgians have these hero mantality, so the songs are much more "monumental" and dramatic (I will send you a CD-R of Georgain folk battle songs from XV century - this is some powerful stuff).

It is absolutely unique. I have quite a lot of early vocal music, and the closest thing I've heard to Georgian polyphonic singing is Sardenian singing - but Georgians have these hero mantality, so the songs are much more "monumental" and dramatic (I will send you a CD-R of Georgain folk battle songs from XV century - this is some powerful stuff).

Thanks David, looking forward to that!

There are some nice deals to be had at Wayside Music. In addition to the aforementioned Futterman and Lacy discs, I picked up the following:

Manzanera, Phil - Diamond Head (EXPCD 14) $9.00

Sun Ra - Nuits de la Fondation Maeght, Vol. 1 (Universe 080 mini lp gatefold) $9.00

Sun Ra - Nuits de la Fondation Maeght, Vol. 2 (Universe 081 mini lp gatefold) $9.00

Sun Ra - Live in Paris at The Gibus (Universe 079 mini lp gatefold) $9.00

Bailey, Derek - Improvisation (Ampersand 2) $9.00

Cardew, Cornelius - Four Principles On Ireland And Other Pieces (1974)(Ampersand 7) $9.00

Shipping worked out to about $0.80 per disc to a US address. Not too bad.

blake! Welcome!

We've been wondering when you'd contruibute.

Nice score re Wayside. (I spotted those Sun Ra titles a while ago but never pulled the trigger.)

Edited by Chaney

I believe that last post was my first in the "Funny Rat" thread. Thank you. Thank you very much.

Yeah Blake, we've been quite concerned about your keeping quite for so long. Different speculations circulated, and we are glad you finally decided to step in.

I'll buy this one, if theystill have it on stock Cardew, Cornelius - Four Principles On Ireland And Other Pieces (1974)(Ampersand 7) $9.00.

These Sun Ra's - are these recent Italian reissues? Anybody can comment on the sound?

I'm glad to be here and willing comment on any and all speculation.

Yes, the Ra titles are the Italian reissues. The All Music reviews for the Fondation Maeght discs include the comment "Enthusiasts should note that both volumes of Nuits de la Fondation Maeght were issued on CD from an excellent quality tape (read: non-vinyl) source on Comet Records in 2003" so I'm hopeful about the sound.

Four Principles On Ireland And Other Pieces (1974) will be my introduction to Cardew. $9 seemed a good price to test the waters (much less than the hat releases anyway).

Has anyone heard the Bailey?

Has anyone heard the Bailey?

Don't know this Bailey - so it will be YOU who will have to tell us what it's like.

Talking about Bailey, I still can't fully appreciate what his approach. Probably I have the wrong Bailey. I also so him live (in duo with Susie Ibarra... sorry, Flurin, no fotos from the concert) - and he sounded extemely unfocused, nearly random. Also, didn't seem to listen to what poor Ibarra was doing (who was not particularly shining, either... I mean her playing, not her looks, Flurin).

Talking about Bailey, I still can't fully appreciate what his approach. Probably I have the wrong Bailey. I also so him live (in duo with Susie Ibarra... sorry, Flurin, no fotos from the concert) - and he sounded extemely unfocused, nearly random. Also, didn't seem to listen to what poor Ibarra was doing (who was not particularly shining, either... I mean her playing, not her looks, Flurin).

I'm almost completely ignorant when it comes to Bailey (and lots of other things) but what you've posted is my (ignorant) general impression of his talents.

I'd be very willing to be set straight.