Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I posted this in the WAYLTRN thread:

Albert Ayler - The Hilversum Session - Coppens

e977898eyik.jpg

This is an awesome session, with Don Cherry (cornet), Gary Peacock (bass) and Sunny Murray (drums). George Coppens told me he has only a few copies left. It's available from Cadence. Highly recommended!

I remember hearing this - then strange - music on Dutch radio in 1964; I was totally fascinated by the sounds coming out of my tiny portable transistor radio...

Is this the same stuff as on Vibrations?

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I posted this in the WAYLTRN thread:

Albert Ayler - The Hilversum Session - Coppens

e977898eyik.jpg

This is an awesome session, with Don Cherry (cornet), Gary Peacock (bass) and Sunny Murray (drums). George Coppens told me he has only a few copies left. It's available from Cadence. Highly recommended!

I remember hearing this - then strange - music on Dutch radio in 1964; I was totally fascinated by the sounds coming out of my tiny portable transistor radio...

I know a further thunmbs up from me is not needed but if you like Ayler you will love this CD (espsecially if you enjoy Vibrations).

And who would have thought that Albert Ayler would still have the same effect on people nearly 40 years later.

The first few notes I heard (mine were from Spirits Rejoice) sent a shiver up my spine!

Listening to Free America reissues:

Alan Shorter "Tes Esat" is definitely a disappointment (given that it also features one of my favorite bassists Johnny Dyani), and except for first several minutes of insane altissimo wailings by Gary Windo, is not really worth the time - compositions are boring, drummer is boring, Dyani spends a lot of time either laying out our playing bells, flute and piano, or doing monotone arco, and Shorter isn't playing that much at all - and when he does, it is... boring. Well, you got the idea. Recording is also far from perfect - raw (with particularly muddy upfront drums) and unbalanced. Not on par with excellent Orgasm, for sure.

Frank Wright "Uhuru Na Umoja". Now that's the real deal. Wright is mighty (Ayler school) and fairly diverse on (quite well-recorded) tenor, but there is also bluesy and lyrical Noah Howard, impressionistic Bobby Few (who, I steel feel, overplays a bit and is too sugarly for my tastes - but here his Ravel-isms add a nice contrast to burning Wright), and on nobody else on drums but Arthur Taylor - and he shines here. Good compositions with enough variety in tempo and texture, and very decent recording quality. This one is unconditionally highly recommended. Keep in mind though, that the album is merely 30+ minutes long.

As for the packaging (for those of us who need another justification why CDs are better than downloads), it is obviously a labor of love. There are reproductions of (good) "textured" paintings inside (fragments of which are displayed on the cover) with good liner notes (meaning, not talking too much about the music - but about the musicians themselves, which I find much more of value). "Franck Wright" on the cover is a bit embarassing, though.

Edited by Д.Д.

Thanks for the comments on those "Free" America titles, David. If I'm ever given the opportunity to pick some of these up without sweating over the cost, I'll definitely keep your comments in mind.

Thanks for the comments on those "Free" America titles, David.  If I'm ever given the opportunity to pick some of these up without sweating over the cost, I'll definitely keep your comments in mind.

Even if they are not issued in the US, European versions will be around for quite some time (looks like there were 5000 copes pressed, so 5-6 years of circulation for sure), so you'll be definitely able to find them cheap eventually.

--------------------------------

Just finished listening to Art Ensemble of Chicago - "Certain Blacks", and what can I say - this is an excellent one. All you can expact from AEoC - passion, humor, musicality, groove, complexity, directness, constant surprise, and a lot of life is there.

Sould quality is excellent.

Again a very short recording - 35 minutes.

Edited by Д.Д.

Flurin, did you get all the Free America reissues? I cannot find Braxton CDs in stores here...

Flurin has them all.

I hate him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do we all have our copies of...

004.jpg

Ready to give it a group spin?

I'll be listening to ARP Music today for the first time.

i'm with chaney, at about $24 for a single disc it's unlikely i'll buy any of these america/mrc reissues.

my music budget is pretty liberal, i just have a hard time justifying that price point when there is so much other music to be had.

of course, i'll add a few of them (the aec and braxton releases) to christmas and birthday "wish" lists every year until they go oop. maybe i'll get lucky and someone will pull the trigger for me.

Do we all have our copies of...

004.jpg

Ready to give it a group spin?

Was not on my agenda (wanted to spend more time with those PHENOMENAL FRee AMercia reissues :w ), but we are an improvisation-prone bunch here, so I will give it a spin later tonight.

----------------------------------

Meanwhile, listened to another Aki Takase Leo disc: Dempa Band: Nine Fragments, and this one does not disappoint either. Will give it a couple more listens, and will expand here.

346.jpg

AMG review

i'm with chaney, at about $24 for a single disc it's unlikely i'll buy any of these america/mrc reissues.

my music budget is pretty liberal, i just have a hard time justifying that price point when there is so much other music to be had.

of course, i'll add a few of them (the aec and braxton releases) to christmas and birthday "wish" lists every year until they go oop. maybe i'll get lucky and someone will pull the trigger for me.

Patience, gentlemen. I see that market sellers at amazon.de are already offering new copies of those for €12 ($16), so quite soon affordable copies will make their way across the Atlantic. By next Chrstmas you'll all have your copies of cheap Free America CDs.

we are an improvisation-prone bunch here

i'm listening to palace music lost blues and and other songs at the moment. does this mean i have to leave the thread?

Well, I am listening to (and thoroughly enjoying) this one:

B000068MNH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg.

I meant improvisation more as an outlook on life.

of course, i'll add a few of them (the aec and braxton releases) to christmas and birthday "wish" lists every year until they go oop.  maybe i'll get lucky and someone will pull the trigger for me.

I've been wanting to buy more of the recordings available from the San Francisco Bay Area scene musicians / groups and I see their disks selling for half of what the PHENOMENAL Phree Amercia reissues are going for. I'd be much more happy in giving my money to the likes of Gino Robair and John Shiurba and Matthew Goodheart and Graham Connah and Dan Plonsey and John Butcher and Jack Wright and Myles Boisen and Damon Smith and Scott Rosenberg and Morgan Guberman and Vinny Golia and Tom Djll and Matthew Sperry (RIP), and George Cremachi and Garth Powell and Matt Ingalls and Tim Perkis...

As David suggests, patience...

we are an improvisation-prone bunch here

i'm listening to palace music lost blues and and other songs at the moment. does this mean i have to leave the thread?

Listening to and loving...

brd038.jpg

Firehouse Futurities (Rastascan)

Steve Norton: bass clarinet, soprano, alto & baritone saxophones, game calls

Tom Plsek: trombone

Gino Robair: percussion

Sorry if it's been mentioned in this thread before...

How do you like Derek Bailey's 'Ballads' on Tzadik? It's the only one of his I own, but it's completely fascinating, and not at all daunting (as I was led to believe Bailey could be). I get the impression that it was recorded as a sort of all in one take, stream of consciousness thing, and subsequently divided up into individual tracks.

ballads is unique bailey due to the way he incoporates the themes. essential maybe for that reason. and maybe a good starting point because it's sort of bailey "lite".

you're right, the songs were played all in one sitting with the tracking added later.

check out pieces for guitar on tzadik. made up of early (the earliest?) recordings from the mid 60s, it's pretty melodic stuff for bailey.

ballads is unique bailey due to the way he incoporates the themes.  essential maybe for that reason.  and maybe a good starting point because it's sort of bailey "lite".

I can't stand Ballads for exactly this reason, it seems intentionally watered down. plus (and maybe Nate can correct me here) it doesn't seem as if he really addresses the songs, he plays heads on both ends, then just does his normal thing in between. there are about 30 other Bailey discs I'd rather own before this own.