Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Didn't listen to much ratty music of late, but ....

Likewise I've been going back in time lately and largely neglecting my rat studies. Recent purchases included

Wally Shoup Trio- Blue Purge (Leo)- free blasting stuff -should be a keeper

Archie Shepp- Trumpet in my soul- very mixed feelings- some good stuff

but it comes across as a dated concept album. I note Penguin hates it.

Ornette Coleman- Friends and neighbours (RCA) - poor audio on first two tracks but otherwise outstanding- must go back and listen again to Love Call

I think the Shoup's the pick of the bunch by some margin.

now back to Red Norvo....

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Likewise I've been going back in time lately and largely neglecting my rat studies.

(...)

Hmmm... Sounds like a few of us are on the same page.

I've been listening to the Billie Holiday Verve box and the Shelly Manne live Blackhawk and Manne Hole sets.

Likewise I've been going back in time lately and largely neglecting my rat studies.

(...)

Hmmm... Sounds like a few of us are on the same page.

I've been listening to the Billie Holiday Verve box and the Shelly Manne live Blackhawk and Manne Hole sets.

Have been listening to a lot of Chet Baker recently (thinking about it, I might have more Baker's CDs than Brötzmann's) and Joseph Haydn. And Thad Jones Mosaic.

Now listening to the Billie Holiday Columbia set  :wub:

Like this one as well (but haven't listened to it all yet - after all I have it only for three years ;)), but my favorite is Commodore Recordings double-CD set.

I recently gotthe Holiday Columbia set at a good price thanks to a link here just before Christmas.

The quality of these sides is amazing ,I would place the Columbia sides ahead of the Commodores which I've had for ages but never really shouted out their greatness as the Columbia sides with Prez, Wilson et al. do.

Now listening to the Billie Holiday Columbia set  :wub:

Like this one as well (but haven't listened to it all yet - after all I have it only for three years ;)), but my favorite is Commodore Recordings double-CD set.

Cripes, what a loser you are. (Same story for me, though. :winky: )

I believe I'll dig this one out and give it a good listen.

Clunky: As to the quality of sound on this set, have a look at the Amazon listing and the last posted review. Interesting, although I guess not surprising, that Mr. Davies has worked with these materials and done a better job. IF TRUE, that is, as I've not heard the Davies remastered material.

Clunky:  As to the quality of sound on this set, have a look at the Amazon listing and the last posted review.  Interesting, although I guess not surprising, that Mr. Davies has worked with these materials and done a better job.  IF TRUE, that is, as I've not heard the Davies remastered material.

Interesting. I'm not one to upgrade or worry too much about sound unless it's dreadful.

The Columbia box is signficantly better than the Billie single Cd s released by them in the late eighties. If I remember correctly RT Davies, Ted Kendal etc. are among the engineers on the Columbia box.

I have no complaints about the sound, and package is well worth it. Love it. :wub: Each to his/her own though...

Edited by Clunky

Listening to this one now: Glen Hall and OutSource, The Roswell Incident (Leo Records):

lr313.jpg

Pretty nice playing by all involved: Glen Hall (ts,ss,bcl,bass fl,electr), Allan Molnar (vib), Michael Morse (b), Michael Occhipinti (g,bjo), Banjo Barry Romberg (d), Roswell Rudd (tb).

The music is really good, I think. Occhipinti is a nice player, so is Hall, so is Molnar, and the rhythm section is quite good, too. Then, there's Rudd sitting in here and there, and you gotta love Rudd, don't you?

ubu

Edited by king ubu

Sorry if it's been mentioned in this thread before...

How do you like Derek Bailey's 'Ballads' on Tzadik? It's the only one of his I own, but it's completely fascinating, and not at all daunting (as I was led to believe Bailey could be). I get the impression that it was recorded as a sort of all in one take, stream of consciousness thing, and subsequently divided up into individual tracks.

Never heard that one.

I believe I'll make Aida my first (but hopefully not last) Bailey solo effort purchase.

CD Universe availability: Backordered since 1/25/2005 :angry:

Listening to this one now: Glen Hall and OutSource, The Roswell Incident (Leo Records):

lr313.jpg

Pretty nice playing by all involved: Glen Hall (ts,ss,bcl,bass fl,electr), Allan Molnar (vib), Michael Morse (b), Michael Occhipinti (g,bjo), Banjo Barry Romberg (d), Roswell Rudd (tb).

The music is really good, I think. Occhipinti is a nice player, so is Hall, so is Molnar, and the rhythm section is quite good, too. Then, there's Rudd sitting in here and there, and you gotta love Rudd, don't you?

I listened to it only once, and didn't like it too much - seemed too sterile for my taste. Will have to listen to it again, oif course.

Here is a label with sampes for you: Chief Inspector.

Listening to MOP 54 now - very impressive!

Hmmm... A bit heavy handed, wouldn't you say? POUND! POUND! POUND! :huh:

I think it's a nice POUND! POUND! POUND! You know, I've been listening to a lot heavy metal today.

I guess "heavy-handedness" is intended here, and I assume the expressive pallette of the music on the rest of the disc is somewhat wider (they sound too tight, disciplined and GOOD to be only what we here in this sample).

The pianist and composer of the band Bettina Kee is only 24 years old, btw. Impressive.

Tony's very much worth checking out. First heard him on Bigshots on Incus--terrible balance on the record (sounds like the sax is in another room sometimes) but jeez is it good music--Steve Noble in particular. Later on I reviewed a few discs of his from Foghorn, all recommendable. Here's one piece--

http://www.ndorward.com/music/bevan_nothing.htm

& here's the other--

http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine...sep_text.html#8

I'll have to give the "Roswell Incident" another listen soon, it seems ;).

Listening right now, finally, to the 5$ disc with 40 minutes of Jimmy Lyons on it... The Futterman solo tracks are just as dense as the quartet. I'm not too fond of the solo tracks, but then I only heard them once. The quartet (which I'm hearing for the second time now) is better, Richard Davis is nice, so is Lyons (of course!), and drummer Robert Adkins (of whom I never heard before) is good, too. I'd say it is your usual free energy thing, but it is ok at least. I quite like it, but it needs quite some concentration, and I don't really "get" Futterman. The disc is called "Inner Conversations", by the way, and came out on Ear-Rational Records.

The same order I got the Futterman with also included Frank Lowe's "Fresh" (Black Lion) and Steve Lacy's "Snips". The Lowe is nice, but too short, and somehow it doesn't really develop. I definitely need to listen again, there are some very nice moments, and I loved the arrangement and playing on the second Monk tune included, "MIsterioso". However, the last track, "Chu's Blues" (is that for Chu Berry?) is in a different bag and makes the rest of the album rather short at around 30 minutes. I would gladly have had more of this...

The Lacy, "Snips", is a strange one, technically. The actual quality of sound is not bad at all (not for audiophiles, though, beware!), BUT there are voices to be heard in between tracks as loud as if it were those of the tapers... The photos in the package (it's a 2CD set in a nicely but cheaply done digipack) suggest there was a microphone, but not directly in front of Lacy, so those people sitting closest may indeed be those one hears between tracks. That is a bit annoying, but in the end the music is too good for me to be bothered too much. The concert, recorded in May 1976, represents the first time ever Lacy performed as a soloist in the USA, so it's sort of a historical thing. Also it's another document of the loft jazz scene, as the location was one of these lofts, the "Environ", which was painter John Fischer's loft, his abstract paintings can be seen on the two photos included. Must have been great to be there that night... I'm so glad I saw Lacy in concert a few months before he died (solo, in November 2003).

ubu

Coming close to the end of a second listen to Frontiers, the Leo Lab disc by Vladimir Miller / Vitas Pilibavicius / Vladimir Tarasov, and I have to say I like it much much better than the first time. Miller and Tarasov go together very well, and Pilibavicius (who somehow seems to have brought the other two together) matches well, too. Much of this music is rather sparse, in a lyrical, yet often grooving way. The play with little motives and licks, let them evolve, build something, and I quite like it. Not sure I'd generally recommend it to everybody, but for me it's certainly worth having!

ubu

The Lacy, "Snips", is a strange one, technically.

What label is it on?

Have you had a chance to listen to Free America Lacy ("The Gap") - some wild stuff there - much more so than his later works I am mostly familiar with. I liked it. Steve Potts is such a powerful player (Lacy is more intense here, though!). Irene Aebi on cello only (doesn't add much - but, more importantly, doesn't hurt either). Surprisingly good sound quality (woudl have preferred if wonderful Kent Carter was recorded more upfront, htough).

The Lacy, "Snips", is a strange one, technically.

What label is it on?

Have you had a chance to listen to Free America Lacy ("The Gap") - some wild stuff there - much more so than his later works I am mostly familiar with. I liked it. Steve Potts is such a powerful player (Lacy is more intense here, though!). Irene Aebi on cello only (doesn't add much - but, more importantly, doesn't hurt either). Surprisingly good sound quality (woudl have preferred if wonderful Kent Carter was recorded more upfront, htough).

David, Snips is on Jazz Magnet, never heard of this label before. The website given on back of the CD doesn't work (www.jazzmagnet.com), I have no idea what that label is about. The CD says "a division of Music Magnet Media, Inc". Catalogue No. is JAM-2001, so it's probably their first release, maybe their last? It came out in 2000.

I gave "The Gap" one listen so far (same with the disc where Mal Waldron sits in) and liked it as well, but couldn't type up anything without giving it another spin.