• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

Up for pre-ordering at CD Universe:

Jon Raskin: Music + One (Rastascan)

This is a compendium of improvisations to be used to make music. They can be played along with in any order.

The improvisations were recorded at Guerilla Recordingø and mastered at Headless Buddha Labs in the spring of 2005. The instructions for the musicians were to improvise for 3 to 4 minutes, imagining they were playing music with their shadow. The results show some of the breadth of the improvised music scene that is happening in the San Francisco Bay Area at this time.

The musicians include George Cremaschi, David Slusser, Jen Baker, Larry Ochs, Chris Brown, Gino Robair, Liz Allbee, Garth Powell, Bill Horvitz, Kiku Day, Myles Boisen, Theresa Wong, Moe! Staiano, Rhodri Davies, John Shiurba, Jon Raskin, Ches Smith, Aurora Josephson, Jonathan Segel, Phillip Gelb, Philip Greenlief, and Tim Perkis.

http://www.rastascan.com/images/Music+One.jpg

:party:

~~~~~~~~~~

Michael Renkel (guitarist, composer, electronica) has some hefty downloads available on his site.

~~~~~~~~~~

Hmmm... this might be worth a try.

~~~~~~~~~~

14th LMC Festival of Experimental Music - AUDIO ARCHIVE

Edited by Chaney

Just picked up the most recent Kidd Jordan w/Parker and Drake, but haven't had a chance to listen yet. Anybody else hear it yet?

Yes. I really enjoy it a lot. Kidd is a lot more melodic and "gentler" than I have heard in the past. All in all I think it is a beautiful disc.

Hamid switches to the tabla and William puts down the bass in favor an African lute, which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea here.

Since I was ordering directly from Aum I also picked up Triptych Myth - The Beautiful. Very nice. Cooper Moore has been releasing some wonderful music over the past few years.

I'm really looking forward to picking up a copy of Topography very soon.

KCET has been airing a Bill Laswell concert (playing in the LA area, for now--don't know how old this is). There's an 'incarnation' of Material therein featuring, among others, Pharoah Sanders, Hamid Drake, and Toshinori Kondo (all playing quite fine, in fact); the group plays some African-inflected, groove-based music in the dub idiom--lots of free inflections, but beat-heavy. Not all of the concert is at this level--there's some hyper-showy stuff by Buckethead toward the end (nothing impressive--just hard and blustery)--but there are some moments of great beauty. Even for those among us with troubled notions of the Laswell legacy, I'd recommend a viewing.

KCET has been airing a Bill Laswell concert (playing in the LA area, for now--don't know how old this is). There's an 'incarnation' of Material therein featuring, among others, Pharoah Sanders, Hamid Drake, and Toshinori Kondo (all playing quite fine, in fact); the group plays some African-inflected, groove-based music in the dub idiom--lots of free inflections, but beat-heavy. Not all of the concert is at this level--there's some hyper-showy stuff by Buckethead toward the end (nothing impressive--just hard and blustery)--but there are some moments of great beauty. Even for those among us with troubled notions of the Laswell legacy, I'd recommend a viewing.

I managed to totally forget to watch this last night. I think this is getting released on DVD.

Really? It was only an hour long--not long enough, perhaps, to merit the full-on DVD treatment (I'm assuming that the actual performance was truncated). Somewhat inconsistent, again--but the brighter moments were quite fine (and it's nice to see Laswell shepherding the ensemble in real time--really effective). Check it out for the Material parts.

The debate rages over The Topography of the Lungs:

http://www.bagatellen.com/archives/reviews/001305.html

Huh? "The debate rage"?

There is FOUR peoples speaking to each other, trying to decide if it was legit for EVAN PARKER to take full credit for TTOTL.

I could call that, at the best, a friendly discussion, but a DEBATE?

Seems everybody agreed with each other.

The palm goes to WARBURTON who has decided that when NATE's review will be published, FULL credit will be given to each members (PARKER, BAILEY, BENNINK) as equal.

Whao! What an act of courage!

The guy knows to take his responsabilties, really (ouarf).

Edited by P.L.M

And by the way, PARKER has done the booklet of the CD in a manner who permis "Enthusiasts of original artwork should refold the booklets to show the design for the LP by Avril Hodges incorporating a collage by Alan Johnston."

Choose your side, brothers ans sisters, choose your side.

Edited by P.L.M

P.L.M.: wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

I'm glad that the original artwork's tucked inside the booklet (& I've refolded it on my copy), but of course that doesn't change the spine, the CD label, catalogue entry, or the bad taste left in the mouth about the altered credits. It would have been nice to have an upfront explanation for the change in the liners, too.

I'm glad that the original artwork's tucked inside the booklet (& I've refolded it on my copy), but of course that doesn't change... the CD label.

The CD label. What is the problem with the CD label?

The CD label should have been INCUS, is that what you try to say?

It must be a joke, NATE.

BAILEY has never try to reissue this one on INCUS like a tone of others records.

Bailey did have no coherent politic about INCUS reedition. Didn't care.

But, sometime, without explanation or coherence, he has given some of his own records under license to obscure label ("AIDA" on DEXTER'S CIGAR is the best exemple).

In fact he had no politic at all, what pisses off more than one person, something that I can very much understand.

Edited by P.L.M

Guest Chaney

Chuck: Maybe you could order us each a copy of Topography?

And after your OJC blowout, no whinging about being short of funds

:w

Edited by Chaney

On the subject of Funny Rat (you remember that one...), has anybody worked out what tunes Brotzmann is playing? Track 2 is 'Song for Che' (Haden) - he play sit in full at the end. I'm wondering if anyone has identified others (they might just be his own, one-offs of course)?

Edited by David Ayers