Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

On the subject of Funny Rat (you remember that one...), has anybody worked out what tunes Brotzmann is playing? Track 2 is 'Song for Che' (Haden) - he play sit in full at the end. I'm wondering if anyone has identified others (they might just be his own, one-offs of course)?

Wish I could help but I sold Funny Rat on eBay several months ago.

As usual, Topography is more talked about than listened to! :(

Who wants to do an AOTW of it? I don't have the extra tracks, as I only have it on LP.

For me, it hasn't had the impact that other sides from the period with similar personnel have had, but that's my personal feeling. It does get a lot of "talk," probably much of that having to do with the fact that it went so long without being reissued. I know it's not that similar to records like Nipples, Karyobin and Ichnos, but I've gotten much more mileage out of those...

Edited by clifford_thornton

Wish I could help but I sold Funny Rat on eBay several months ago.

Hey and you started this darn thread! ;)

I realise it fell out of favor a bit on this board but I like it! At least as much a Hano record as a Brotzmann one. London's Sound 323 still list it on their website at £10.99 (which is where I got it in the early days of the thread) so it is an easy find this side of the pond for anyone still interested. Did anyone have a report on Hano's solo '48' on the same Improvised Music from Japan label? I seem to remember seeing a mention...

Thinking of another CD baby order... anyone can tell me about the following discs?

VLADIMIR VOLKOV, SERGEI KURIOKHIN, KESHAVAN MASLAK: jet lag

TRI-O (SERGEI LETOV, ARKADY SHILKLOPER...): trialogue

PAOLO ANGELI / HAMID DRAKE: uotha

LISLE ELLIS, MARCO ENEIDI, PETER VALSAMIS: sound on survival live

HERMANN BUHLER: alto solo

DICK GRIFFIN: a dream for rashaan

BUTCHER / MASAOKA / ROBAIR: guerrilla mosaics

They all look at least interesting! I think David has mentioned Buhler positively a few times, so I'll go for that one. I've heard bits of the Angeli/Drake on radio (it was broadcast live before it came out on CD) and quite liked it. The other ones I know nothing of...

Yes, I'm just talking about the labelling of the physical CD.

So, I'm sorry that I missread you.

"Label" means "Label Record" for me.

Put this on the fact that I'm not much fluent in english.

As you has guess not my native langage.

Guest Chaney

Thinking of another CD baby order... anyone can tell me about the following discs?

They all look at least interesting! I think David has mentioned Buhler positively a few times, so I'll go for that one. I've heard bits of the Angeli/Drake on radio (it was broadcast live before it came out on CD) and quite liked it. The other ones I know nothing of...

I have only Guerrilla Mosaics and it's been a while since I've listened to it. I'll give it a spin tonight and post an impression.

Edited by Chaney

Flurin, I assume you checked out the samples on the CD baby website - they are normally quite generous, so you can get a more-or-less clear picture what to expect.

So, Bühler is excellent. Sort of a delicate extended technicues solo thing. Get it without hesitation.

Tri-O is good, but not as good as their later incarnations. Eneidi disc I don't have but you can download huge sound samples of various live performances of this trio from here.

Butcher - Masaoka - Robair I used to like a lot, but now, having heard more solo Butcher, this is definitely not on that level. Masaoka is quite an incoherent imprivisor (doing these pretty but mindless decorative koto splaches most of the time), and the whole thing is not very focused (atypically for Butcher).

If you need more CD Baby recommendations, I suggest you get this, and this, and this as well. And get the Vapirov disc.

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

I'm not sure I understand what Butcher's solo play has to do with evaluating his performance in a group. Is it just that you prefer when he plays alone?

I'm not sure I understand what Butcher's solo play has to do with evaluating his performance in a group. Is it just that you prefer when he plays alone?

Diluted focus. There is much less of Butcher here than you would hear on his solo disc, and I miss it.

The Eneidi/Ellis/Valsalmis disc is OK--actually it'd be great if it weren't for the prolonged downtime in the long final track (esp. the squelchy electronic interlude from Ellis).

Thanks Nate and everybody.

I did order some things, skipped the Eneidi (the samples seemed quite a bit less intriguing than a great live recording I have) and Butcher/Masaoka, too. But I did add two of the ones D.D. recommended (the indian sax guy and that larger bay area group).

Edit: skipped Tri-O and Volkov/Kuryokhin, too - the order would have just gotten too expensive...

Edited by king ubu

Guest Chaney

Butcher - Masaoka - Robair I used to like a lot, but now, having heard more solo Butcher, this is definitely not on that level. Masaoka is quite an incoherent imprivisor (doing these pretty but mindless decorative koto splaches most of the time), and the whole thing is not very focused (atypically for Butcher).

Wow, David. I have to respectfully disagree with most of what you say about Guerrilla Mosaics, although mine may be a minority opinion. (See this.)

Scribbled, while listening: Miya, her sound/instrument very much dominate this disk (except for a few spots where Robair and Butcher flex their muscles and swat her aside); drawn to the sound of Miya's instrument, much as if she were a vocalist; she's really allowed to lead the way; track one, Butcher's sax a bit too ugly and inrusive; this can't be completely inprovised as it works a little too well...

Miya playing mindless Kyoto splashed most of the time? Can't agree. Not focused? Very surprised to hear you say that; I found it to be so focused much of the way that I felt compelled to e-mail Gino asking just how much of this was pre-planned and how much improv. (This would have been a good disk for you and I too have listened to online.)

Very enjoyable and certainly a disk I'd highly recommend.

482 Music

Edited by Chaney

Spinning this one. Not my favorite Shoji Hano record so far ;) . Another off-centre offering from the enterprising Trevor Manwaring on Chronoscope...

cpe2005.jpg

I saw Gary Smith and Shoji Hano do their thing maybe 18 months/a year or so ago. Smith wasn't remotely in Hano's league that night. Hano played a scorcher, and seemed - although my Japanese is non-existent, and his English was rudimentary - to be a very nice guy indeed.

Spinning this one. Not my favorite Shoji Hano record so far ;) . Another off-centre offering from the enterprising Trevor Manwaring on Chronoscope...

cpe2005.jpg

I saw Gary Smith and Shoji Hano do their thing maybe 18 months/a year or so ago. Smith wasn't remotely in Hano's league that night. Hano played a scorcher, and seemed - although my Japanese is non-existent, and his English was rudimentary - to be a very nice guy indeed.

Lucky you! I'm not yet convinced by Smith, although this record has a decent amount of variety. There is a similar (?) one with Smith and Hugh Hopper on bass, which I haven't heard.

Edited to add that an amazon.co.uk seller is offering the Chronoscope CD currently for £1.95...

Edited by David Ayers

Anyone care for this Bailey/Haino offering (on Incus)? Haino is on vocals. I never did acquire the (usually rather expensive) 'Drawing Close, Attuning' with KH on guitar.

incusc40.jpg

Oldies but goldies.

PS I realise that KH is not big in these quarters but I hope you don't mind me dropping his name from time to time...

PPS This is a fierce one. I am playing it with the windows open - the neighbors will think I'm berserk... in fact, here they come now with their pitchforks.. maybe they need some help in the fields...?

Edited by David Ayers