Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

spl105large.gif

i am REALLY digging this, but don't just take my word for it!

from the web page http://www.spoolmusic.com/framesmain.HTML :

What the critics are saying:

Not so long ago, the cello was one instrument left out on the doorstep of jazz, if not most improvised musics. But times have changed! Indeed, this instrument's role has blossomed in recent years and who cannot acknowledge the sterling artistry of Ernst Reijsiger, the equally remarkable playing of Eric Friedlander, even the sheer resourcefulness of the late Tom Cora? To this growing list, one must equally include the now Vancouver resident, Peggy Lee …

Marc Chenard, Program notes for the 1999 Festival Musique Actuelle de Victoriaville.

With her ddeply sonorous instrument in hand, Lee has more-than-shared the stage with creative improvisors from all over the world: Joelle Leandre, Dave Douglas, Mark Dresser, Susie Ibarra, and Barre Phillips to name but a few. Her playing blends grace and precision, yet when the music demands it she can be equally challenging and vibrant.

Jon Morgan, Signal to Noise

She can scrape and stridulate as required, but her cello playing also grants due place to clarity of line and sweetness of tone. Both aspects of Lee's musical character inform her compositions and their performance by an entirely sympathetic sextet.

Julian Cowley, The Wire

As a jazz cellist, Lee is almost in a league of her own... Devoted to her own compositions, this disc will only increase her profile - it's a stunner. [The group] execute the lush material with nearly-telepathic ensemble playing. Hear tunes from one of the year's best jazz records ...

Stuart Derdeyn, The Province

This self-titled album on Spool Records' improv series is a masterwork of skill and innovation. The music is a blend of pop, classical and jazz, but in the most original manner I've heard. She's helped out by other great musicians, especially Brad Turner on trumpet and flugelhorn and Jeremy Berkman on trombone. Both stimulating and relaxing.

Lara, Pop Boffin

The musicians devote themselves to exploring every facet of Lee's complex and evocative compositions; from Wilson's scratchy free-play to Turner's burnished lines, their solo statements are wonderfully personal, but always bear some relationship to the source material at hand. And Lee's tunes are as distinctive as her own rich cello sound: drawing on the jazz avant garde, contemporary chamber sounds, folk music, and even rock, they ebb and flow with an almost oceanic grace ...

Alexander Varty, The Georgia Straight

Vancouver is a hotbed of improvised music, with one of its most interesting experimenters being this sextet led by cellist Peggy Lee which draws from different genres -- modern trumpeter Brad Turner, electric bass funkster Chris Tarry and avant garde percussionist Dylan van der Schyff, for example. With trombonist Jeremy Berkman and Tony Wilson's electric guitar adding fierce "outside" forays, the Lee compositions veer between wild extravagance and spacey deconstruction, and sometimes examine futuristic group dynamics.

Geoff Chapman, Toronto Star

Cellist Peggy Lee is a musician whose every phrase seems to contain fresh inspiration. An adept reader and improvisor, she is ever popular with musicians because of the consistent artistic integrity she brings to music. She is popular with Vancouver audiences because of the warmth and sincerity she projects through music. It is hard to slot The Peggy Lee Band into any kind of musical category, a mark of excellence that makes me give this CD the highest recommendation to music lovers.

Laurence M. Svirchev, Planet Jazz

Perhaps the most effective trait Lee shows on this debut recording is her scope as an arranger. She positions the various textures in her band to great effect and combines instruments to create rich tapestries of sound...This sumptuous recording will introduce listeners to the depth of exciting contemporary music being created in Vancouver.

James Halle, Ottawa Citizen

Peggy Lee Band At Performance Works on Friday, June 25, 1999;

Lee has won an international following for the strength and beauty of her improvisational style: she's fearless and sweet, just as likely to sing her heart out in a rhapsodic melody as she is to plunge headfirst into a gnarly exploration of knotty chords...Lee's compositional style is just as adventurous and diverse...her particular compositional gift is evinced in the way her pieces flow, as if in a dream, from one form to another. Her melodies slide in and out of abstraction; skewed marches butt up against folksongs; chamber-music niceties crumble under the assault of funk and psychedelia… Lee plunders all the musical resources available to her, but always in the service of emotional exploration.

Alexander Varty, The Georgia Straight

Since Peggy Lee and Dylan van der Schyff's cd, "These Are Our Shoes" was my favorite cd of 1998, The Peggy Lee Band was a natural choice for kicking off the [Du Maurier Vancouver International Jazz] festival for me. My expectations were high, and I was not disappointed. Lee's playing is always both sensitive and passionate, and she's aligned herself here with some of the best musicians in Vancouver… A definite festival highlight.

David MacLeod, The Jazz Asylum.

Produced by Peggy Lee and Shawn Pierce.Recorded and mixed by Shawn Pierce at Blue Wave Productions, Vancouver BC, for Maximum Music Ltd.

Wasn't there someone on AAJ with insights into the MPS programme? I never thought they'd reissue any of the freer stuff (like CT), but maybe I just didn't notice?

Just ordered two titles from Limited Sedition - very last copy of the second one, it seems:

spotted.jpeg

mutable.jpeg

I don't know how about you guys, but I am quite excited about the new release of Mike Patton's project Peeping Tom (haven't heard it yet; just placed an order). Mike Patton might be my favorite living male vocalist. For those of you who are not familir with Patton (can it be so?!?), here's a little video of his performance.

Edited by Д.Д.

Did you check AMG? There's a thread here as well, I think there were two guys posting news there but only one with a connection to Universal Austria (using as a handle "soulpope", I think).

Yeah, I remember that. Nothing seems to have come of it, according to AMG at least. The few titles that were out several years ago are all I see.

I thought Afrodisiaca was reissued, but no evidence here...

Did you check AMG? There's a thread here as well, I think there were two guys posting news there but only one with a connection to Universal Austria (using as a handle "soulpope", I think).

Yeah, I remember that. Nothing seems to have come of it, according to AMG at least. The few titles that were out several years ago are all I see.

Wow, is that several years already? The latest ones I saw in stores were all even more mainstream (Oscar Peterson, mainly, some with Ray Brown and/or Milt Jackson) than the earlier ones (Mangelsdorff, the Koller ones, Dauner, Jankowski etc.). Haven't heard of anything or seen any new ones since those.

Wow, is that several years already? The latest ones I saw in stores were all even more mainstream (Oscar Peterson, mainly, some with Ray Brown and/or Milt Jackson) than the earlier ones (Mangelsdorff, the Koller ones, Dauner, Jankowski etc.). Haven't heard of anything or seen any new ones since those.

Same here--and a lot of my (most of the year) local record shops get new MPSs (e.g., the Clarke/Bolands). I'd be thrilled to see Afrodisiaca out, frankly--but all I see are piles upon piles of Peterson reissues.

Guest akanalog

yeah you fucking stupid MPS master tape owning mother fuckers-why not release something besides every single fucking album oscar peterson (and hans koller though some of his are ok) ever put out?

or give volker kreigel, for one, the same treatment as koller and don't just release one measly album, but release them all.

at least with the koller perhaps there is some nationalistic pride, but dumping all this peterson on us seems a bit "just trying to make a buck" ish.

i recently got a shitty sketchy reissue from some dubious label of rolf kuhn's "going to the rainbow". it has chick corea playing electric piano on it, for christ's sake, so i am sure it would sell a few copies at least if MPS reissues it legitimately.

at this point i will also once again plug the roland kovac reissues on the garden of delights label. "the master said", especially, is a sweet album which would appeal to people on this board of all spectra of musical enjoyment and even seem to be available from dustygroove?!?!?

Guest akanalog

actually, "the master said" might not appeal to funny ratters-but to me it sounds like a european and more psychedelic rock influenced version of "moon rappin'".

Hey, I share your feelings, but please keep Koller out of there! He's one of the most important european jazz musicians, I think, and it's great that his albums are out again! And some of them may even please you, too... if not, there's still another recently issued one, "Jeanneret Tapes", featuring Manfed Schoof. Give him a chance!

Hey, I share your feelings, but please keep Koller out of there! He's one of the most important european jazz musicians, I think, and it's great that his albums are out again! And some of them may even please you, too... if not, there's still another recently issued one, "Jeanneret Tapes", featuring Manfed Schoof. Give him a chance!

I am a fan of Hans Koller as well.

Some MPS stuff has been reissues in the Universal Japan HardCore Jazz series (Cecil, Sun Ra, etc.).

Edited by Д.Д.

Speaking of prime European jazz, when is somebody going to reissue all that Manfred Schoof Quintett material from the '60s? Great shit!!!

As long as we're on Schoof (?!)--Is European Echoes worth picking up? The lineup is excellent, but I'm wondering what differentiates this from the dozens of others with similar personnel. It's making the rounds at a reasonable price...