Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

John, I'd love to hear some opinions on this one! As I said, it was my original choice, but when I saw it was OOP, I thought I'd go with Hal Russell (which has not exactly been a very popular choice, alas!).

If you can choose one, take this, and I'll be there!

btw: who's that "?.?." y'all quote? :g

ubu

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John, I'd love to hear some opinions on this one! As I said, it was my original choice, but when I saw it was OOP, I thought I'd go with Hal Russell (which has not exactly been a very popular choice, alas!).

If you can choose one, take this, and I'll be there!

btw: who's that "?.?." y'all quote? :g

ubu

Will do. I'm really looking forward to hearing this disc. If I had the Hal Russel I would have joined in. It's on my "to buy" list, but hasn't made it to the top yet.

Somebody needs to ask B3-er to load cyrillic.

I have a call in to The Jazz Loft asking if they have The Minimalism of Erik Satie in stock and if so, how many copies they have on hand.

I'll post their response as soon as I receive a call back.

Has our Russian friend seen this!?!?!?!?!?

http://www.discplus.ch/results.asp?smod_sk...smod_public_id=

HELL!

ubu

Chaney, at this site you can buy it for 12 swiss franks (around 9 US$ currently). I am not sure they have it in stock, but it does seem they do.

I don't know how much mailing to the US would cost, but certainly not more than 5US$, which would not be very expensive for a Hat disc, all together. (I guess it would not get much cheaper if I'd mail it, as they would charge 2$ to mail it to me, and then for me to mail it would probably be in the range of 3-4$.)

ubu

Thanks ubu!

I've just heard from Alan of The Jazz Loft. He HAD two copies in stock -- my order was number THREE so I missed out! I suggested that I might try Cadence but learned that The Jazz Loft suppier IS Cadence and Cadence is now sold out!

Grrr....

Edited by Chaney

Has our Russian friend seen this!?!?!?!?!?

http://www.discplus.ch/results.asp?smod_sk...smod_public_id=

HELL!

ubu

I just ordered from them (they don't have Mengelberg listed), but I am not too hopeful. Fuck, how I hate all this OOP business. And who the fuck is buying them all?!!

king ubu, I just received Waldron's Up Popped the Devil from amazon.fr. It is an Enja HW 2003 reissue (not announced on the website, of course). It's good to see that Enja HW is at least functioning.

Д.Д., they state that they send your order out the next day, and if something cannot be sent out by then, they would email you and you could cancel your order.

So they should email you latest tomorrow night if something's not available.

If you try to find HatOLOGY discs in stores here, be aware that they usually cost 38 franks, sometimes you may find some for 31-36...

Yeah, Enja Weber... there would be so much good stuff there!

Let's dream of a complete Mal Waldron Enja box... HELL!

ubu

I am going to Berlin this weekend - I will look around in stores for OOP hatOLOGY stuff. Let me know if you are interested.

I just ordered Two Days In Chicago and Annette from Cadence.

Can you keep me in mind re The Minimalism of Erik Satie?

Thanks!!!!

PS: Maybe I shouldn't be selfish. Please keep as ALL in mind.

I am going to Berlin this weekend - I will look around in stores for OOP hatOLOGY stuff. Let me know if you are interested.

I just ordered Two Days In Chicago and Annette from Cadence.

Can you keep me in mind re The Minimalism of Erik Satie?

Thanks!!!!

PS: Maybe I shouldn't be selfish. Please keep as ALL in mind.

You mean all 4 of us here interested in music like this?

Although somewhere there seem to be 3000 people buying all this stuff.

Edited by Д.Д.

THIS arrived today together with a lot of other stuff from Ayler.

Д.Д., what other stuff from Ayler can you recommend? I only have the Lyons box and that Albert Ayler live disc.

ubu

Ubu –

If you don't mind my answering for Д.Д., ...my favorite disc on Ayler has to be William Parker Trio -"....and William Danced". I love this disc! Great playing by Parker, Hamid Drake and Anders Gahnold, who I had never heard before. I have also heard and enjoyed Jemeel Moondoc Trio -Live at Glenn Miller Café Vol 1, recorded on the same day as “…and William Danced,” but with Jemeel Moondoc instead of Gahnold. Hamid Drake & Assif Tsahar - "Soul Bodies, Vol 1" is another good one.

My next Ayler to buy will be Exploding Customer -"Live at Glenn Miller Café.” I have never heard this one but have read many good things about it.

couw - you mixed up the label "Ayler" with the man! The discs you listed, I have them all and love them! One of my favorites, Ayler!

John, thanks!

I have received an print out of the Ayler catalogue with the Lyons box, but as I know hardly anybody in their roster of artists, I thought I'd ask here! Thanks!

ubu

couw - you mixed up the label "Ayler" with the man! The discs you listed, I have them all and love them! One of my favorites, Ayler!

ubu

I have been away a few days and am not up to date with all the discussions. This thread in particular seems to have taken more turns and twists than my diagonal reading skills can handle. Sorry for that, I'll try to read up.-

BTW: that Gumpert I referred to is a recording from 1979, with Heinz Becker, tp, flh; Manfred Hering, as, ts; Ernst Ludwig Petrowsky, cl, ss, as; Helmut Forsthoff, ts; Conrad Bauer, tb; Ulrich Gumpert, p; Klaus Koch, b; Günter Sommer, ds;

No small group involved.

No problem, John. This thread IS taking turns, it became sort of "our small little avant exile corner", but everybody is of course invited to take turns with us! Please join in!

And tell me, do you know more about Gumpert? I did not yet do a Google search, but I know nothing about him, I picked up that disc in fact only because it was cheap and looked interesting and because I have heard him on that one track with Steve Lacy (on "Five Facings", FMP).

ubu

king ubu, the one I would recommend first and foremost would be Brötzmann's Live at Nefertiti - this is probably my favorite Brötzmann CD. Excellent drumming and bass guitar, and Brötzmann is in top form creating a lot of beauty with references to the whole history of tenor saxophone. I keep repeating it, but I find it truly amazing how he developed into such a diverse musician in just 30 years.

I second ...and William danced - very happy music.

Another very good one is 2-CD set called FLowers for Johnny - this is trio of the same guy who plays on "...and William danced" with Johnny Dyani on bass. Dyani's bass parts are really worth the price of this CD alone.

Edited by Д.Д.

king ubu, are you in Zürich this Sunday, btw? I'll be passing through in the evening - we could catch up.

Yeah, I forgot - you can skip the Noah Howard one on Ayler - it's a bit predictable and repetative. Howard is an excelletn musician heard better on other CDs (the one on Eremite for example, and the one on Boxholder with Kenny Clarke - shit, I can never remember the CD titles).