Roscoe Mitchell - The Solo Concert

Chalupa

Yup.

No other Sackvilles on the label. Sackville decided they could not reissue it for technical reasons and returned the tapes to Roscoe. Have no idea about the processing of the recordings but a bunch of tape print was on the masters. It can be corrected but takes a lot of time and patience.

• 5 weeks later...

Yup.

No other Sackvilles on the label. Sackville decided they could not reissue it for technical reasons and returned the tapes to Roscoe. Have no idea about the processing of the recordings but a bunch of tape print was on the masters. It can be corrected but takes a lot of time and patience.

So what's the verdict? Did they get rid of the tape print?

• 2 years later...

Home today with my 3 month old son, so we're digging through some records that Mommy doesn't particularly dig.

I just listened to this for the first time today. I picked it up In Knoxville about a month ago, along with a sealed Open Air Suite!

Sounded good to me. I didn't notice any print-through. I'll listen again with this in mind and let y'all know. I

was particularly taken by "Ttum" on the second side. I had to listen twice. And then again. I can imagine how scorching his tone could sound with bass and drums on this composition.

Now listening to Open Air Suite for the first time!

• 3 months later...

Yup.

Please excuse the ignorance but would some kind person explain what "tape print" is & how does this "contamination" occur

I bought this CD when it was first reissued - may have to listen to it again

IIRC, print-through is when music has been stored on the reel of the reel-to-reel tape for a long time; under certain conditions, the magnetic layers of tape "print-through" to the next layer - the magnetic filaments can move some of the filaments on the adjacent layer to have the same pattern, creating the same sounds. Because only some of the filaments move, this creates a ghostly affect that you can hear underneath the original sound that's on the tape.

Back in the day all the tape companies were pitching the "hottest" new tape to the studios. Seriously, I could go in the studio a week after a session and hear Ampex or 3M had new formulations I should try. This was great for Grand Funk but lousy for Roscoe and Braxton.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Don, he was three months so it's hard to know for certain.

My daughter is almost three. She asks for Charlie Parker and Bud Powell on occasion, which is an absolute thrill!

When she was slightly younger, I remember her dancing ecstatically to Albert Ayler! I just haven't listened to Ayler in a bit.