Monk - The Last Concerts

jostber

51XOG3NzLUL._SS500_.jpg

Now that's a cool cover! :)

I was at the Vanguard on two occasions in '72 to see Monk, Paul Jeffrey on tenor in place of Rouse. And I also attended what I believe was Monk's final concert which took place either at Lincoln Center or perhaps it was Town Hall, but I'm reasonably certain it took place in early '76. The concert was billed as a tribute to Monk, the scuttlebutt being that Monk may or may not show up to play. If not, Barry Harris would be the pianist, however Monk did indeed appear and play. Should have kept the program.

Some more info from a web site here:

Thelonious Monk

Featuring: Thelonious Monk (p), Paul Jeffrey, Charlie Rouse (ts), Larry Ridley, Dave Holland, Larry Gales (b), T.S. Monk, Ben Riley (d)

REFERENCE: RLR88643_2

BAR CODE: 8436006496431

PRICE: 19.45 €

The 1975 Lincold Center concert presented here was Thelonious Monk’s last recorded performance ever, either live or in studio. Along with the 1972 Village Vanguard sets (his only preserved works with Dave Holland), these are also Monk’s last quartet recordings.

As a bonus, an unissued 1966 broadcast taped in Amiens, France, has been added. The 16-page booklet includes Monk’s amazing Down Beat blindfold test with Leonard Feather in its entirety.

All tracks previously unissued.

Tracklisting:

CD 1

01. Announcement (1:10)

02. I MEAN YOU (9:23)

03. BA-LUE BOLIVAR BA-LUES-ARE (9:05)

04. WE SEE (9:18)

05. MISTERIOSO (10:23)

06. 'ROUND MIDNIGHT (7:40)

07. STRAIGHT NO CHASER (10:08)

08. OFF MINOR (9:47)

09. 'ROUND MIDNIGHT (6:54)

Total time: 73:53 min.

CD 2

01. HACKENSACK (12:05)

02. EPISTROPHY [Theme] (1:07)

03. EVIDENCE (10:06)

04. BLUE MONK (10:58)

05. RHYTHM-A-NING (12:16)

06. BRIGHT MISSISSIPPI (10:10)

07. EPISTROPHY [Theme] (1:01)

08. BLUE MONK (12:10) (*) Bonus Track

09. CREPUSCULE WITH NELLIE (2:48) (*) Bonus Track

10. RHYTHM-A-NING (5:11) (*) Bonus Track

Total time: 77:56 min.

Personnel: Thelonious Monk (p), Paul Jeffrey (ts), Larry Ridley (b, at Lincoln Center), Dave Holland (b, at Village Vanguard) and T.S. Monk (d).

CD 1, tracks #1-6 recorded at "Newport Jazz Festival in New York", Lincoln Center, New York, on Thursday, July 3, 1975.

CD 1, tracks #7-9 & CD 2, tracks #1-7 recorded at Village Vanguard, New York, on Thursday, June 15, 1972.

(*) Bonus Tracks [CD 2, #8-10]: Thelonious Monk (p), Charlie Rouse (ts), Larry Gales (b) and Ben Riley (d). Recorded live in Amiens, France, on Wednesday, March 23, 1966.

I was at the Vanguard on two occasions in '72 to see Monk, Paul Jeffrey on tenor in place of Rouse. And I also attended what I believe was Monk's final concert which took place either at Lincoln Center or perhaps it was Town Hall, but I'm reasonably certain it took place in early '76. The concert was billed as a tribute to Monk, the scuttlebutt being that Monk may or may not show up to play. If not, Barry Harris would be the pianist, however Monk did indeed appear and play. Should have kept the program.

I saw him at Lincoln Center with Paul Jeffrey on tenor, and it must have been the one here. It was part of the Newport in New York festival, so it was a summer concert. Early July would have been right. The concert was a triple bill: Oregon, Keith Jarrett with Redman, Haden, & Motian, and then Monk. I was excited to see Monk but my memories are more visual than anything. I was only 17 anyway.

Edited by Tom Storer

What label is this on?

I guess I'm on the fence as to whether these recordings are really essential. I do like the Columbia period and all, which with all do respect was his last major contract, didn't find Monk bringing a whole lot of new material to the table, and I suspect that these tapes, which seem to offer nothing new material-wise, will fall into the same category.

Does anyone know if he put an entirely new twist on these concerts, or is it going to be....watered-down....like the Columbia's begun to be?

PS: I'm not harping on Monk, who I respect a lot! Its just that later in his career, Monk liked to revisit his older material over and over and over again :rolleyes: .

Edited by Holy Ghost

What label is this on?

I do like the Columbia period and all, which with all do respect was his last major contract, didn't find Monk bringing a whole lot of new material to the table, and I suspect that these tapes, which seem to offer nothing new material-wise, will fall into the same category.

By the late 1950s Monk was finally making a living from his piano playing and didn't seem to want to take the time to write lots of songs any more.

This is on RLR ("Rare Live Recordings") an Andorran (I believe) label.

I don't have this release but have heard the concerts. I find it interesting to hear Jeffrey in the saxophone chair, he breathed a little fresh air into the goings on. And Monk plays fine here, in my opinion.

What label is this on?

I do like the Columbia period and all, which with all do respect was his last major contract, didn't find Monk bringing a whole lot of new material to the table, and I suspect that these tapes, which seem to offer nothing new material-wise, will fall into the same category.

By the late 1950s Monk was finally making a living from his piano playing and didn't seem to want to take the time to write lots of songs any more.

Some statistics for when Monk wrote his songs in this post:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...st&p=830320

• 1 month later...

But dan anyone answer the question: What do these concerts sound like? Musically that is. And sonically too, I guess.

Well, I know this is probably a bootleg, but curiosity killed me. I bought it recently and here's my observation:

0. Sonically speaking, the 1975 Lincoln Center tape sounds so-so. I guess the tape speed is slightly too fast -- the voice pitch of the announcer sounds too high for me, but since I don't have the absolute pitch, don't believe me too much. The 1972 Village Vanguard tape must be an audience recording, so don't expect hi-fi sound. But I think it's acceptable, anyway.

1. Monk plays surprisingly well - much more energetic and inspired than the late 60s. He comps steadily behind Jeffery(which became kinda rare when he was with Rouse in the late 60s), and takes good solos by himself. Not ground-breaking, but still very good.

2. Monk Jr. plays surprisingly well, too - not flashy, but quite swingy and seems to inspire his dad(especially on the 1972 tape).

3. Paul Jeffery is smoking - I didn't know he was such a good player. Much more aggressive and inpsired than Rouse in the late 60s with Monk.

4. The biggest surprise for me is the presence of Dave Holland on the 1972 tape -- his walking bass line really swings. Holland might have been the best bass player Monk could ever get.

So, I should say this is not essential but an important recording, and it's worth releasing it under more appropriate circumstance (e.g. from Thelonious Records, possibly?)

But dan anyone answer the question: What do these concerts sound like? Musically that is. And sonically too, I guess.

Well, I know this is probably a bootleg, but curiosity killed me. I bought it recently and here's my observation:

0. Sonically speaking, the 1975 Lincoln Center tape sounds so-so. I guess the tape speed is slightly too fast -- the voice pitch of the announcer sounds too high for me, but since I don't have the absolute pitch, don't believe me too much. The 1972 Village Vanguard tape must be an audience recording, so don't expect hi-fi sound. But I think it's acceptable, anyway.

1. Monk plays surprisingly well - much more energetic and inspired than the late 60s. He comps steadily behind Jeffery(which became kinda rare when he was with Rouse in the late 60s), and takes good solos by himself. Not ground-breaking, but still very good.

2. Monk Jr. plays surprisingly well, too - not flashy, but quite swingy and seems to inspire his dad(especially on the 1972 tape).

3. Paul Jeffery is smoking - I didn't know he was such a good player. Much more aggressive and inpsired than Rouse in the late 60s with Monk.

4. The biggest surprise for me is the presence of Dave Holland on the 1972 tape -- his walking bass line really swings. Holland might have been the best bass player Monk could ever get.

So, I should say this is not essential but an important recording, and it's worth releasing it under more appropriate circumstance (e.g. from Thelonious Records, possibly?)

Yes, we've all let curiosity get the better of us in these types of things so you're not alone there. Thanks for the review, I'm even more curious now. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Monk in the dressing room on that Giants of Jazz tour (1971) and he did look almost comatose. I don't remember the music being all that good - Art Blakey was against the whole idea, and I think he was right. But the solo/trio session Monk recorded in London during that tour is one of his very best.

I'd love to hear the later recordings in this thread.