This is too good to bury in the Youtube thread

Big Wheel

Apologies if this has been posted before - it's been going around for a couple of weeks. There's something unsettling about this - I don't know whether to be awed at the effort, disturbed at the tricks you can do with Pro Tools et al, or laughing at the resemblance to a Japanese chindogu "useless invention."

More evidence suggesting that all that can be said in this "language" has pretty much been said & that now there's nothing left to do other than create an endless series of cut-and-pastes, be it by "real players" or "mechanical tricksters"?

That is a question, btw, not a declaration...

Edited by JSngry

That's pretty much why I had the "disturbed" reaction - if you can do this with a machine and make it sound this good why should we even bother continuing to make it at all?

It turns out the trickster in this case is also a "real player" from Israel (which I had suspected - nobody who isn't really deep into this stuff would be able to make the groove so dead-on) but still...not sure if that really changes anything.

I dig this cut that he put together:

I am a sucker for talkbox, tho. :rhappy:

I think it is an interesting take on DJ culture from two perspectives - video as a component, and amateur involvement.

Before, DJs had to get acts with songs pressed up on vinyl to do their magic. That gatekeeper has been removed.

• 3 weeks later...