Is this a bootleg release of Sonny Rollins in Stuttgart?

Hardbopjazz

I do have a bootleg of this concert, but this appears to be longer. Anyone know if this is an official release of this '63 concert with Don Cherry? I would go out and buy if it is an official release.

Rollins 1963

The CD you linked is definitely a bootleg. RLR is one of those Andorran labels that releases boots from time to time... but it would not be considered an "official" release.

I'm pretty sure everything on this CD has been on Dime before... I'm sure that's where RLR got it from in the first place.

Cheers,

Shane

Though the thrust of the original post here was essentially benign IMO, discussions of and requests for unauthorized releases of copyrighted material are not allowed on Organissimo. I'm posting this now in order not to be rude or mysterious but will delete this thread later on today.

discussions of [...] unauthorized releases of copyrighted material are not allowed on Organissimo. I [...] will delete this thread later on today.

What?? Are we not allowed to discuss any "Andorran" releases any longer then?

What if something is coprighted in the US but not in other countries? Can't we discuss Classics any more for example?

Is this some new policy??

discussions of [...] unauthorized releases of copyrighted material are not allowed on Organissimo. I [...] will delete this thread later on today.

What?? Are we not allowed to discuss any "Andorran" releases any longer then?

What if something is coprighted in the US but not in other countries? Can't we discuss Classics any more for example?

Is this some new policy??

Maybe I'm wrong, but as far as I know discussions on bootlegs were never allowed here and as was stated in the first two posts the Rollins concert disc is a bootleg.

Which is why I am asking. There have been a lot of discussions through the years of Fresh Sound/LoneHill/Gambit releases, Classics and other non-US labels. If this is a new policy it is a drastic change.

Jim and the moderators have deleted threads about bootlegs in the past, but I don't know what Jim's exact policy is.

Edited by J.A.W.

Gee, all I wanted to know if this is a legit release. If so, I would spend the $ and buy it. I don't want to break any board rules and don't want to make money for those ripping off the artists. If it needs to be deleted, then delete this thread.

The same disc is for sale at Amazon.com.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I think it's a fair discographical question and the thread should not be closed.

I agree.

There is a big difference in my mind between buying a grey-market disc versus a link to an mp3 copy to download. I am ALL FOR deleting links to questionable sites purveying questionable downloads.

I don't mind discussion of bootlegs, just no trading or direct links to them.

I do mind discussions of mp3s and sites like that.

This is what I thought, there are loads of threads on these types releases, why this is suddenly an issue for some people is quite strange.

I actually had this one and sold it to someone on the Board fairly recently. To be honest I didn't think it was that good really, they sound very, very loose, to the point of being sloppy.

Sensible policy, fine with me. I just got my wires crossed somewhere, and as the only serving moderator, now that MG is on hiatus, my wires need to be uncrossed at all times. :)

Sensible policy, fine with me. I just got my wires crossed somewhere, and as the only serving moderator, now that MG is on hiatus, my wires need to be uncrossed at all times. :)

I hope/assume you mean to prevent the discussion of illicit mp3s, and we don't have to go scrub the forums of all our iTunes and eMusic recommendations. ;)

Edited by ejp626