Precedent for Organ Trio + Vocalist?

AccuJazz

Hey, I was wondering whether any of you know about any notable recorded precedents for vocalists being backed by organ trios. It seems a natural fit to me, but off the top of my head I can't really think of any. I'm sure there have been some (maybe there was a Sarah Vaughan album?), but I can't think of it right now. Anyway, I'm in an organ trio that just was told by a venue that if we add a singer, we can play some high-paying weekend gigs. Sounds good to me. I'm just looking for some inspiration from the masters on how this might ideally sound. Thanks!

Man, you guys are quick! Thanks for the tips. Looks like there's some organ on Etta Jone's "Love Shout," but allmusic says there's piano at the same time. Kind of weird. Might be worth a listen anyway. I think I might order the Jimmy/Bill and one Irene CD from Amazon. Thanks again, and, please, if anyone else has suggestions, please speak up!

Cool! I'll look forward to the Organissimo CD! Also, I just remembered that one of my favorite vocal CD's from last year, Kate McGarry's "If less is more..." features the inimitable Gary Versace on organ, but it's tends towards a more modern, less soul-jazzy sound and also has bass on all the tracks.

I just got back from the Jazz Record Mart here in Chicago where I bought "Softly As a Summer Breeze." That was fast! Not only are the vocal tracks great (only first heard Bill Henderson a couple months ago when I got his newest CD, Beautiful Memory), but it's really great to hear Philly Joe with an organ trio.

Trudy Pitts sings on some of her old Prestige dates. Also, Joey Defrancesco did an album with Joe Pesci aka "Joe Doggs" or something like that...he also did one with Jane Siegel (?)...don't know if it's still available or note. There's some albums with Groove Holmes and Dakota Stanton...Groove Holmes and Jimmy Witherspoon....Jimmy McGriff with Junior Parker....Jack McDuff with Jimmy Witherspoon. George Benson sings on a couple on his early Columbia recordings with Lonnie Smith. Lonnie Smith cut a great CD with Johnny Adams called "One Foot In The Blues"..... Bu Pleasant cut one album on Muse, she sings and plays organ on that....Rhoda Scott's early Prestige LPs have her vocal group on it that's pretty cool. Also, yeah...the Irene Reed is awesome, Charles Earland plays on one of those, killer. There's probably lots more.

• 4 weeks later...