how many BN CD's have silver/black label sides?

CJ Shearn

how many BN discs have silver/black labels instead of silver/blue or white/blue? I received the Morgan Lighthouse set today and noticed the discs being silver/black instead of the more familiar above color schemes, think it's kinda cool. The discs were also playing side up in the case but I fixed that

kazak, your copy of "Ready" has a black/silver label? interesting. Mine is the regular, blue/white label. The Lighthouse set isn't an elecxtric release per se so it's unique it has the different labeling. almost reminds me of how some) 70's BN LP's had the black label w/ blue slice or (my personal favorite) deep blue label with black or white "b".

*Some* record club pressings had the black instead of blue, so my copy of Charlie Parker at Storyville has the black and silver, but my copy of Cannonball Somethin' Else is blue. Both are marked as from BMG. I know Ready for Freddie was in a record club long after it was supposedly out of print (as a connoisseur) - check the catalog number.

A non-BMG black and silver one is my copy of 3 Sounds - It Club v.1 (but not v.2)

Mike

Are these anomalies perhaps or just a way to distinguish between club and non-club pressings (i.e. the real thing). The only differences I was aware of was the silver and blue for cd for pre-90/91 and the better well known blue/white of post 91, which in my book is a useful cut off point for signaling better sound.

M. Fitzgerald is correct. Printed in small type on the back cover of my Ready for Freddie cd is "Manufactured by Columbia House...". I bought the cd on e-bay and never noticed this until this post. Thanks for clearing that one up Mike.

My Live at the It Club V.1 and Electric Byrd, both non-record club purchases, are silver/black.

My Ready for Freddie is a BN pressing and is Black/Silver.

While Black and Siver now seems to have become the unoffcial look of the Rare Groove series (of which there are a number of earlier Blue and White issues), someone had asked this question over at Blue Note. By chance, this thread is active on the link that Swinging Swede posted in another forum, so I cut and pasted. Look for Kevin Bresnahan's first post in the thread (bolded by me). It contains a comment made to him by Tom Evered about the colors:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

baysideuph

Member # 2211

posted January 16, 2002 07:07 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could Some one please tell me,

The different colors of disks like Black-silver,blue-silver,blue-white. Is there any meaning behind this.

Thanks bayside

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 31 | From: Bonita Sp Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged

Rooster Ties

Member # 2057

posted January 16, 2002 08:35 PM

And what about Greg Osby's "Further Ado" - it's... ... ... ...ORANGE!!!!!

Posts: 350 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Aug 2001 | IP: Logged

Tony Jerant

Member # 212

posted January 16, 2002 08:42 PM

Yeah...so is Joe Lovano's RUSH HOUR.

I haven't figured out any particular pattern to the colors, EXCEPT that there is a tendency to have white and black used for stuff that BN reissues that was not originally released on BN (e.g. on recently reissued United Artists dates like JAZZ ALIVE and BENNY GOLSON AND THE PHILADELPHIANS). And some (all?) of the Rare Grooves I think also used black instead of the "usual" blue, sometimes with silver and sometimes with white.

And earlier BN "regular" reissues (from the mid- to late-80's) - tended to have blue paint on a regular silver background (no white). I think that scheme has been pretty much been abandoned.

The blue and white paint seems most prominent...used for the Connoisseurs, RVG's, and some other reissues.

Anyone else come up with other takes on "cracking the code" of BN CD paint colors?

Another observation - it seems BN changes fonts (on the CD itself especially) like most people change socks...almost daily.

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Tony Jerant ]

Posts: 2140 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Mar 99 | IP: Logged

Shawn

Member # 502

posted January 16, 2002 08:50 PM

To add to the fun, all of the Collector's Choice titles had white tray cards...

You know if you play side one of A New Perspective it syncs up perfectly with the last segment of 2001...

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Shawn ]

Posts: 1155 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Nov 1999 | IP: Logged

Lucky T

Member # 2056

posted January 16, 2002 10:04 PM

I thought everyone was talking about the bottom of the disc.

The bottom of the disc's on my Hot Jazz on Blue Note set look all grey and funny looking. I have had the set since it came out. When I pulled the set out the other day to see if the sound was different than the stuff on the mosaic's and it wouldn't even play through!

Posts: 160 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 2001 | IP: Logged

Kevin Bresnahan

Member # 132

posted January 17, 2002 05:07 AM

Lucky, if the read side of the CD is all gray and funny looking, you probably got CD-Rs or, more likely, CD-RWs! CD-RWs look gray and chances are would be a likely candidate to stop playing over time, particularly if your storage area gets warm. Where and when did you buy it? Maybe it was a store that re-wrapped returns? I know Tower does this.

BTW, I once asked tomatbluenote about these color variations and he said there was no significance to it. He even said that it was probably just a graphics designer who got sick of blue! I asked him because I thought the Dexter Gordon "Live at the Keystone" CDs had the oddest color schemes. Pink & black, lime green & black and purple & black. Weird.

Later,

Kevin

Posts: 1742 | From: Atkinson, NH | Registered: Mar 99 | IP: Logged

Lucky T

Member # 2056

posted January 17, 2002 06:00 AM

They are definitely not CDR's.

I bought it at the Electric Fetus, it is a large record store in town.

It almost looks like the disc's are separating.

Kevin Bresnahan

Member # 132

posted January 17, 2002 07:20 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Lucky T:

They are definitely not CDR's.

I bought it at the Electric Fetus, it is a large record store in town.

It almost looks like the disc's are separating.

That's wild! Never heard of that or seen it in my day. Gray to me usually means CD-RW. Never seen a gray "plant manufactured" CD.

Later,

Kevin

Posts: 1742 | From: Atkinson, NH | Registered: Mar 99 | IP: Logged

Lucky T

Member # 2056

posted January 17, 2002 07:30 AM

It was not grey when I bought it. I have had it for years and it has played fine until the most recent time I pulled it out to listen to it. The thing about it that is weird, is that all the disc's look all separated.

Hey Tom, is this some kind of defect you have heard about?

weizen

Member # 833

posted January 17, 2002 10:25 AM

The Dexter Gordon "The Squirrel" I once owned had that Gray/Green & Silver color...wasn't a cd-r.

Posts: 1641 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Apr 2000 | IP: Logged

Indestructible!

Member # 918

posted January 17, 2002 11:53 AM

Hi All,

Just to add to the fun... the disk color of the TOCJ Blue Note Classics series (12 CD's of some of the earliest BN recordings, including Ammons, Lewis, Bechet, Hodes, Quebec, etc.) is PINK and BLACK!

I think I read somewhere that the original colors of the Blue Note label were actually pink and black... back when the Ammons/Lewis and Port of Harlem Jazzmen were issued. Anyone know if this is true???

Either way, these CD's are great... and I hope that BN here in the U.S. keeps on putting out these "classic" recordings, regardless of the disk color!

Cheers,

Shane

Posts: 72 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jun 2000 | IP: Logged

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, my Nights at the Keystone discs are Tan/Black, Dark Blue/Black, and Violet/Black. Equally weird.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

I had an original copy of Elvin Jones - Puttin' It Together from 1987, before the collectors choice series that was black/silver. It came directly from CEMA, Not a record club pressing. They must have run out of blue ink that day...

No rhyme or reason, just an oddity.

• 8 months later...

Well, in the 3CD Japanese TOCJ set of 'Nights at the Keystone' all the 3 CD's have the regular blue color scheme, as far as I recall. I was lucky enough to pick this up earlier this year at around $20, which I guess is a good price. Wonderful music, of course.