Ed Thigpen scans, material etc. wanted

neveronfriday

Dear board members,

those of you who have been on my site might have read the long entry on Ed Thigpen there.

Although Ed does have his own website online, I'm planning to pull out all the stops and within a year (I have to do this on the side, next to several other sites I run) put out as good a site on Ed Thigpen with as much information about him as can possibly be found.

I have quite a lot of experience in web design and I promise to make this both a visually satisfying and content-rich experience.

The first few months will be spent compiling any available information (biography, discography, teaching materials, articles, interviews, images, etc.) which will then need to be sorted out and categorized.

Stage two will be the actual design process (the site will be a combination of static and dynamic (database, mySQL, php) pages).

The projected publication date is December of 2004.

I have already done quite a bit of research, but ... here's how you can help:

Of all the forums I frequent, this one seems to be the one with the most dedicated members and visitors. So, I'm asking for help here first (if you can provide any assistance, no matter in which way, your name will be listed on a site contributor list [unless you don't want to be listed there, of course]):

1) Ed Thigpen has been involved in way over 700 recordings. It would be great to have a cover scan plus any available information for each one. I only have a miniscule amount of his stuff, so any (!!) help in this area is appreciated. I'm happy about any scan I can get. I prefer high resolution scans (absolute minimum 500 * 500 pixels, maximum (no limit)), but anything will do. Because I'm online 24/7 and on DSL, I can handle quite a bit of traffic. If scan sizes exceed a tolerable size, please PM me first. We could use FTP or other ways to transfer stuff so I don't clog up my various e-mail accounts if more than one scan arrives within a shorter period of time.

2) I have no English-language interviews or (as yet) source information. Any help in this department is appreciated (either scans, copies (I'll pay the postage) or source information).

3) If you happen to have any rare items, anecdotes, quotes or anything else, I'm interested.

4) etc. ...

I think you get the picture.

One last word. Because I am a high school teacher living in separation, most of the money I have left is spent on my various sites and, of course, my music and book library. I cannot pay for much, besides postage here and there. Just wanted to mention that up front. But, the site will be a reality, and it will be paid for.

Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer and for taking the time to read this.

Cheers!

P.S.: I'll keep you updated in this thread re any information gathered, stuff I'm still looking for, site progress, etc.

P.S.: If you do send any stuff or want to get in touch with me, please include your real name if you want it to appear anywhere.

My name: Volkher Hofmann mailto:deus@deus62.com

Site: deus62/jazz

Edited by deus62

Volkher, e-mail (or PM) me your adress.

Found the article. It's a four-page spread in the 2002 international edition of Jazz Special.

Also checked the Grove Dictionary of Jazz which lists two articles on Ed Thigpen that were published in Down Beat. I should have one of them (a 1967 issue). Let me check through the DB copies I have stored somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 14 years later...

I have had the occasions to find and collect Live jazz sessions with drummer..: Ed Thigpen

as 'sideman',. I aolso have 'drums-magazine' , some Videos ,..

If you want, please E-mail me ..: fabiodrummy@gmail.com  and it is easyer for me to write

a page lists of all I have about the ''Great'' drummer… Ed Thigpen,. Ciao fabio .,Roma .,-