Chris Foreman

DMP

Not familiar with him, but his playing is a highlight of the new Red Holloway CD on Delmark. Not particularly original, maybe - he sticks to the standard organ vocabulary - but swings like crazy! What's the story? Any recommendations? (I know he's a part of the "Deep Blue Organ Trio," guess I'll have to check them out.)

Plays with Henry Johnson and Deep Blue Organ Trio. Well worth hearing, super swinging. Stretches out at length and has an amazing knack for turning every standard into a greazy blues within a minute. (Greg Rockingham is a perfect drummer for an organist and he always plays with Foreman.) He also plays melodic-bluesy piano on singer Kimberley Gordon's CD.

Glad to hear about the new Red Holloway CD : I checked at amazon and, yes, it smokes.

Even Chris Foreman sounds good on this one, which I did not expect, having heard him only on the very boring "Live at the Green Mill".

The conjunction of a drivin leader and excellent material (jobim, Rollins, Carmichael, Gershwin) is probably responsable for the wakin'up of Chris Foreman : let's hope he keeps movin' in that direction.

By the way, don't you think most of the "original" tunes that plague so many CD's do participate to the loss of interest in music we see today..?Just curious.. :crazy:

Glad to hear about the new Red Holloway CD : I checked at amazon and, yes, it smokes.

Even Chris Foreman sounds good on this one, which I did not expect, having heard him only on the very boring "Live at the Green Mill".

The conjunction of a drivin leader and excellent material (jobim, Rollins, Carmichael, Gershwin) is probably responsable for the wakin'up of Chris Foreman : let's hope he keeps movin' in that direction.

By the way, don't you think most of the "original" tunes that plague so many CD's do participate to the loss of interest in music we see today..?Just curious.. :crazy:

...they were all original at one time!

Re this organist: as Rob Schepps might say: 'I'm not familiar with his work'.

FWIW: You have the same last name as a nice guitarist from NJ who plays in a lot of organ groups: Bob Devos.

Red Holloway is damn underrated.

Nothing wrong with 'originals' as long as they're good. It's true too many aren't. But IMO a few more good songs in the world can only help----as long as someone's listening.

Re this organist: as Rob Schepps might say: 'I'm not familiar with his work'.

FWIW: You have the same last name as a nice guitarist from NJ who plays in a lot of organ groups: Bob Devos.

Red Holloway is damn underrated.

Nothing wrong with 'originals' as long as they're good. It's true too many aren't. But IMO a few more good songs in the world can only help----as long as someone's listening.

Dead right fasstrack : what's unacceptable is poor musical quality which is so often present in "originals" (mostly, they're not original at all!).

You mention Bob Devos, which I had the opportunity to record during his european tour : he's an extremely nice guy, a phenomenal guitar player AND a very good composer : I really enjoyed his compositions, most of them are on his last two CD's for Savant, I think;

And, yes, the man loves the Hammond...you can hear that! :D