Joe Farrell

oneofanotherkind

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting! There was a time when you heard Joe Farrell's name a lot - particularly when he was Elvin Jones's sideman. But, like you, I hear nothing about him nowadays. A quick search tells me that he died tragically at the age of 49 in 1986 from bone cancer. Amazon.uk is offering three used copies of Vim 'n Vigor, one at reasonable price, two super-inflated!

Well for one thing, Farrell passed away in 1986, so he's recording very little new music these days. Add to this the fact that he checked out at only 49 years of age, so you have to figure he lost 20 years or more of potential recording activity as a result of his early death.

With regard to Vim and Vigor and Sonic Text, and depending on how beholden you are to owning the physical CD, both are available on eMusic. BTW, Skateboard Park is another recording worth checking out.

Good luck with your search.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

I really got hip to Joe on Hill's Passing Ships-where he comes out with both barrels blasting. Since then, I've aquired Moon Germs, which is quite good, and Elvin Jones' Puttin' It Together. Would like to hear some more CTI material, but so little of it has seemingly seen cd reissue, especially with Moon Germs slipping back out of print; what a shame.

I saw Joe Farrell with Mingus Dynasty in 1979, in a group with Randy Brecker, Jimmy Knepper, John Handy, Don Pullen, Charlie Haden and Dannie Richmond. His tenor sax solos were excellent throughout the evening, very energetic and compelling.

He's on a couple of the Mingus Dynasty recordings, Chair in the Sky and Live at Montreux. He's also on the Mingus album, Pre-Bird.

another hill cd with excellent (at least, i was very surprised) playing from farrell is dance with death

played sonic text on deezer a few times and it did grow on me, some parts i really liked in the end, others i still didn't quite get...

another hill cd with excellent (at least, i was very surprised) playing from farrell is dance with death

played sonic text on deezer a few times and it did grow on me, some parts i really liked in the end, others i still didn't quite get...

Right! Good call. Dance with Death is an excellent date. I don't think Farrell here blew me away like he did on Passing Ships, but it is an overall excellent date nonetheless.

I saw Joe Farrell with Mingus Dynasty in 1979, in a group with Randy Brecker, Jimmy Knepper, John Handy, Don Pullen, Charlie Haden and Dannie Richmond. His tenor sax solos were excellent throughout the evening, very energetic and compelling.

Perhaps you were at the same Carnegie Hall concert that I attended that year. That was truly a fantastic concert, everyone was on fire.

On another note, I highly recommend Farrell's work on an early Chick session, TONES FOR JONES BONES (Vortex LP). The version of "Litha" on that session is smoking!

I do have the VIM 'N VIGOR session, good but I don't think it's essential.