Joe Farrell

oneofanotherkind

Outback and Passing Ships are both great, but my favorites would be the two trio albums led

by Elvin Jones and the Joe Farrell Quartet disc on CTI (hard to find, but worth tracking down).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this thread led me to a google search on joe, and i came up with this interesting story:

Kanye West, record labels sued over jazz samples

Thu May 22, 2008 9:58pm EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Rappers Kanye West, Method Man, Redman, Common and their record companies were sued on Thursday by late U.S. jazz musician Joe Farrell's daughter, who accused them of using her father's music without approval.

The lawsuit, filed by Kathleen Firrantello in the U.S. District Court in New York, names the rappers along with various labels owned by Universal Music Group./

None of the record companies or representatives for the rappers were immediately available for comment.

The lawsuit said all the rappers used portions of Farrell's 1974 musical composition "Upon This Rock" in three separate songs -- West in "Gone," Common in "Chi-City" and Method Man and Redman in their song "Run 4 Cover."

Firrantello is seeking punitive damages of at least $1 million and asked that no further copies of the songs be made, sold or performed, according to the lawsuit.

Reuters/Nielsen

anyone know anything more about this lawsuit?

"Upon This Rock" is one of the most heavily sampled songs ever, with portions of it appearing in many more rap songs than just those three.

QUOTE (Kyo @ May 3 2009, 06:51 AM)

QUOTE (JohnT @ Mar 30 2009, 04:59 PM)

One of my favorite recordings of his is:

Skate Board Park (1979) Xanadu 174

(with Chick Corea, Bob Magnusson, Larance Marable)

Too bad the CD is damn near impossible to find (unless you want to spend $70 on it).

I got really lucky on this one. I picked up this CD on eBay brand new for less than $15 about a year ago. I owned the vinyl from when it was first released.

• 9 years later...
On 7.4.2009 at 7:05 AM, oneofanotherkind said:

Apparently this is a compilation of "the most rewarding selections" of two LPs "Darn That Dream" and "Someday" that came out of the two sessions ( no rehearsals ). Considering that Pepper only appears on 3 tracks and that this date was only 2 1/2 months before his death , and also that this would turn out to be Joe's penultimate date before his own death less than 4 years later , I wonder if there's any hope of the other tracks being released. Wow. Joe must have been really sick to only record twice in his last 4 years.

I got the CD edition of the original Darn That Dream album:
61H8H9WWK8L.jpg

1 Section-8 Blues 6:20
2 Someday My Prince Will Come 7:45
3 Sweet Lorraine 4:05
4 Mode For Joe 8:13
5 Darn That Dream 5:38
6 Who Can I Turn To 5:15

Would love to hear more from these sessions, but it seems the companion album was never released on CD:
R-5567557-1396761864-1113.jpeg.jpg

A1  Fun For One And All 3:00
A2  Blue And Boogie 3:40
A3  Around Midnight 1:20
A4  Epistrophy 8:30
A5  Come Rain Or Come Shine 1:10
B1  You Stepped Out Of A Dream 5:30
B2  Someday My Prince Will Come 7:00
B3  On Green Dolphin Street 8:20

The compilation CD mentioned above (also called "Darn That Dream") is missing three tracks from the original Darn That Dream album (Sweet Lorraine and Who Can I Turn To?, both solo piano pieces, plus Someday My Prince Will Come, another take of which *is* included) and three more from the Someday LP ('Round Midnight, Epistrophy, Come Rain or Come Shine), though those add up to just 11 minutes (only Epistrophy gets a serious workout, the others are below a minute and a half each).

If the track listings on Discogs are correct, both albums together add up to a playing time of just 75:46 (and that's including both takes of Someday My Prince Will Come). Would be cool to see a complete reissue of this material!

Edited by Kyo

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

In the collection

279         Farrell,Joe    Outback    1971    CTI    6014
283         Farrell,Joe    Penny Arcade    1974    CTI    6034
67         Farrell,Joe    Skate Board Park    1979    Xanadu    174

Joe is always a good listen!

Five excellent Farrell CTI CD's for $13.  Or the BGO reissues cost a little more per album, but offer superior remastering and packaging/liner notes.  'Skateboard Park' is also a goodun, in addition to the CTI's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOE-FARRELL-ORIGINAL-ALBUM-CLASSICS-SLIPCASE-NEW-CD/381450592290?epid=232012953&hash=item58d03a2022:g:I6UAAOSw9z1b5YQX

JOE-FARRELL-ORIGINAL-ALBUM-CLASSICS-SLIPCASE-NEW-CD

I do not have 'Video-Clips' posted in YouTube-page, but I only have had the occasion to find and 'collect' this Live jazz-Japan festival ,,Aurex,, where Joe Farrell is in 'Jam' with some great jazzmen,.

-DVD->749.2-Japan,, live ‘’A U R E X ‘’jazz-festv..+..Dizzy Gillespie,,Eddie Gomèz,,Shelly Manne,,Harold  Land,,Cedar Walton,,Illinois Jacquett,,Eddy ‘lkj’ Davis.sax.,// Benny Caret,,Helen Humes.Vcl,,Milt  Hinton.cb.+.Shelly Manne.dr,, Henry’’sweet’’Edison..// jam.+.George Duke,,Alphonso Johnson.bss.+.Peter Erskine.dr,,Joe Henderson,,Freddie Hubbard,,Randy+Michael Brecker,,Joe Farrell.sax...-1980,,t.37’ ..Low-q.ty ..

……

11 hours ago, felser said:

Five excellent Farrell CTI CD's for $13.  Or the BGO reissues cost a little more per album, but offer superior remastering and packaging/liner notes.  'Skateboard Park' is also a goodun, in addition to the CTI's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOE-FARRELL-ORIGINAL-ALBUM-CLASSICS-SLIPCASE-NEW-CD/381450592290?epid=232012953&hash=item58d03a2022:g:I6UAAOSw9z1b5YQX

I picked that up last year. Good collection.

On 12/16/2019 at 11:24 AM, felser said:

Would have been better/ideal if Moon Germs was there in place of either Canned Funk or Penny Arcade.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Would have been better/ideal if Moon Germs was there in place of either Canned Funk or Penny Arcade.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, sgcim said:

I bought that album and couldn't believe it. It was a Smooth Jazz album! You're taking a chance buying anything by Benson, his good jazz albums, IMHO can be counted on one hand.

Agreed, though 'Beyond The Blue Horizon' is an absolute monster of a record, shows what he was capable of.  

I appreciated him even more once I learned that he did so much of that stuff to work in and around the existing small group jams. I know some people are repulsed by that very notion, and I get that. but still and all, like it or not, it's not everybody (or anybody, really), who could write that freely (sic) in that context. And he had a pretty damn broad palette, color-wise.

Having said that, a little goes a long way. One record at a time, at most.