Marcus Belgrave, Branford Marsalis, Organissimo Headline

I couldn't find Bran on there. Must've been buried.

I found Johnny O' Neal, though. Wow. 20 years ago, at the Jazz Cultural Theater, I heard Barry Harris (not known for errant compliments to jazz pianists) tell Monty Alexander with my own ears: "what are we gonna do with this guy? Tie him down". He was playing that much piano.

If you see Bran please give him my best and that I love his soprano playing. What an amazing sound. He's really a great saxophonist, period. I learned Lulu's back in Town the other day playing along with him and his dad on a very nice duet record. He also has an ass kicking coming. On GP (just kidding).

Where was the Johnny O listing?

Thursday, April 16th at 7:30 p.m. the Branford Marsalis Quartet, behind the release of their new CD “Metamorphosen,” celebrates a decade of playing together at the VanSingel Fine Arts Center, 8500 Burlingame S.W. Byron Center, MI, 49315. Information about the band from www.marsalismusic.com and more about the concert from www.vsfac.com. Box office phone, (616) 878 – 8600.

Thursday, April 16th at 7:30 p.m. the Branford Marsalis Quartet, behind the release of their new CD “Metamorphosen,” celebrates a decade of playing together at the VanSingel Fine Arts Center, 8500 Burlingame S.W. Byron Center, MI, 49315. Information about the band from www.marsalismusic.com and more about the concert from www.vsfac.com. Box office phone, (616) 878 – 8600.

Buried deep. Towards the end.

Ah, the Saugatuck/Douglas Jazz Festival. That's morphed from what was the Idlewild Jazz Festival. Produced out of Detroit, it lasted a few years in Idlewild, though that former African-American resort town -- Clifford Jordan told me he took his first steps there; and for years Lillian Armstrong had a cabin there with her phone listed in the local directory -- is located in one of the poorest counties in Michigan. So this is the first attempt at moving it down to Saugatuck, which is a beautiful little resort town a reasonable drive from Chicago. The Art Institute of Chicago has an extension program there at the Oxbow school, and there's a large gay population as well as throngs of tourists. Looking forward to M.C.ing a night of that fest when the time comes.....

Ah, the Saugatuck/Douglas Jazz Festival. That's morphed from what was the Idlewild Jazz Festival. Produced out of Detroit, it lasted a few years in Idlewild, though that former African-American resort town -- Clifford Jordan told me he took his first steps there; and for years Lillian Armstrong had a cabin there with her phone listed in the local directory -- is located in one of the poorest counties in Michigan. So this is the first attempt at moving it down to Saugatuck, which is a beautiful little resort town a reasonable drive from Chicago. The Art Institute of Chicago has an extension program there at the Oxbow school, and there's a large gay population as well as throngs of tourists. Looking forward to M.C.ing a night of that fest when the time comes.....

It's nice to hear things are going on in places you never---or hardly ever---get to. If it weren't for Smalls and Fat Cat here I would hardly hear live music or play it, b/c luckily friends operate these joints and I (and other musicians) can get in. About once a year I can afford the clubs. Anyway, that's about as often as there's someone I feel I have to hear. Thank God for Mitch and Spike and Noah for giving me and other guys a home and some respect.

It was nice to get down there 5 years ago when we came. I guess Tim Scully is the Mitch Borden of NW Michigan. I'm glad you're there too. You guys are kind of heroes. Gotta keep hope alive----and give people other than the big names a shot to be heard and even make a few sheckels.

His new record is a bitch. He revisits "Bill for Bennie" from the Ray Charles days and nails it; there's also a tribute to Clifford Brown, I believe, called "Brown's Town" that shows his chops are in fine shape. Last summer he recorded with a band called "Generations" an album called "Tough Guys" where he is fabulous on "So What." I mean, he nods in the first half chorus to Miles solo, and in the last half chorus nods again, but in between -- original. Eric Alexander on tenor and Andrew Speight on alto are more inclined to the outlines of the classic solos.

about 30 years ago Barry Harris told me this about O'Neal: "he can play like Tatum but he'll never leave Detroit."

Well, O'Neal did portray Art Tatum in the film Ray!

Here's my recollection.

I first met Johnny in Windsor, Ontario when I was 17, around 1985. He was playing with a trio and I was astounded at his playing. Probably the first musician I saw live that made the proverbial "jaw drop" for me. Amazing technique - he was a monster at block-chord soloing. And a good ear too. He didn't read much music. Not sure why, but one night someone requested "Close to You" (the Burt B version, Carpenters) and Johnny admitted he'd never played the tune, but gave it a try anyway. It started as a ballad then became a great greasy bluesy romp.

He also has a deep voice and is a natural gospel singer.

He played lots locally so I got to see him more in Windsor. I even had some informal "lessons" with him at the piano before a few gigs. He did a number of dates with Marcus and some Toronto players (JO recorded on a small Windsor label called Parkwood Records, which also recorded other pianists such as Sammy Price, Earl van Riper, Dick Wellstood and Art Hodes - all of whom I got to see live!).

In fact the first time I went to Baker's Keyboard Lounge was to see JO. He joked that there are always a few first time listeners who walk into the club expecting an Irish guy! He was also a big fan of boxing and told me that he never books a gig on big fight nights.

It struck me odd that he recorded on Concord with Ray Brown and moved to NY briefly but seemed to not break from Detroit. I believe he also went briefly to California in the later 80s. I was studying with Matt Michaels one summer at Wayne State and Matt said some disparaging things about JO's experience in LA. Can't recall the basis for that.

I moved to Toronto in 1991 and didn't hear much of JO. But he recorded a decent album on Montreal's Just in Time label. He's also a regular on the jazz cruises and I think has had more work because of Ray. He should be heard much more though.

http://www.johnnyoneal.org/

why, but one night someone requested "Close to You" (the Burt B version, Carpenters) and Johnny admitted he'd never played the tune, but gave it a try anyway. It started as a ballad then became a great greasy bluesy romp.

He also has a deep voice and is a natural gospel singer.http://www.johnnyoneal.org/

Yeah. The night I heard him he went into a chorus of 'Soldiers for the Lord'. It was wild. I think I sat in, too. There wasn't much room for me to play as I remember, but he was pretty impressive.

His new record is a bitch. He revisits "Bill for Bennie" from the Ray Charles days and nails it; there's also a tribute to Clifford Brown, I believe, called "Brown's Town" that shows his chops are in fine shape. Last summer he recorded with a band called "Generations" an album called "Tough Guys" where he is fabulous on "So What." I mean, he nods in the first half chorus to Miles solo, and in the last half chorus nods again, but in between -- original. Eric Alexander on tenor and Andrew Speight on alto are more inclined to the outlines of the classic solos.

I heard and actually listened to Bakida Carroll the other day. They were playing him on the radio just like you play and turn people on to people previously unaware. Anyway, I dug him, especially his writing. One recording was called the Cage Door or something. It was intense. I liked Tomaz Stanko (not enough not to murder his name, apparently...) also after being turned on by IMO one of the best stations programming jazz anywhere: WKCR FM. You guys do such a service for musicians and fans.

Contribute to Blue Lake, y'all. (I'm off the hook, living in NY, but youse.....

Up for the Adam Rudolph/Ralph Jones duo this Saturday at Mexicans Sans Frontiers. They're playing Good Friday at Kerrytown Concert House; Saturday in Grand Rapids and Sunday live on Blue Lake Public Radio. It's been 20 years since Adam toured in Michigan. He played at the Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts in Grand Rapids then with the band Eternal Wind.