SteepleChase dates from the 80's, 90's and 00's

Rooster_Ties

Link: http://www.steeplechase.dk

I think most of my SteepleChase CD's are nearly all from dates recorded in the 70's. But I know there's a ton more on this great label from the 80's and 90's, and even the past 3 years -- but the names on the spines are much less familiar to me.

You all know my tastes (Andrew Hill, Larry Young, Woody Shaw, Charles Tolliver, Jason Moran, Greg Osby, Dave Holland, Tyrone Washington, Joe Henderson, etc...)

What SteepleChase recordings since 1980 can you recommend????

Also, what's the best/most-reliable/cheapest place to get SteepleChase CD's here in the U.S.??? - presumably on-line.

In addition to the Von Freemans, suggest you check the followings:

Ted Brown 'Preservation'

Lee Konitz 'RichLee' (with Rich Perry)

Lee Konitz 'DigIt' (with Ted Brown)

Don Friedman 'Almost Everything'

Don Friedman 'My Romance'

If ;) you like Andrew Hill, you should check Don Friedman. Very interesting musician!

I'd have to echo the Louis Smith sentiments. I have the following, all of which I love:

Jam Session Vol. 7, with Louis Smith, Mark Turner and Billy Mitchell (this just came out)

Louis Smith - Soon

Louis Smith & Jodie Christian – The Very Thought of You (this is a duet, but very, very good)

From the 70s (I know you didn't ask about this era), check out the Kenny Drews and the Duke Jordans, not to mention the recent Dexter box.

Let's give it up for the vibraphonists:

Joe Locke put together an incredible string of albums for Steeplechase. VERY EARLY is probably my favorite, but they're all excellent. The others are BUT BEAUTIFUL, LONGING, PRESENT TENSE, WIRE WALKER, and INNER SPACE.

What about Walt Dickerson's recordings for the label? Too many to list (check AMG), but the duos with Richard Davis and Sun Ra deserve special mention.

Vibraphonist Khan Jamal made a couple of recordings on SteepleChase in the '80s that I enjoy, "Dark Warrior" and "The Traveller". Both include bassist Johnny Dyani. I prefer "Dark Warrior", because it features saxophonist Charles Tyler.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Rich Perry's "Hearsay," featuring the compositions and trumpet work of Steve Lampert:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...26061&BAB=E

Some of the best Perry I've heard, and Lampert is a fascinating one-off -- his writing is somewhat reminiscent of RCA Jazz Workshop-vintage George Russell, but he is definitely own man, a deep cat.

http://ssl.adhost.com/jazzloft/baskets/newsteep.cfm

The email sez:

$3.00 OFF

3 DAYS ONLY!

Greetings!

It seems that at the core of all independent jazz record labels, one finds an avid enthusiast aspiring, reaching, clinging at the opportunity to give back a small slice of the music they hold so dear. More often than not, the challenges prove too great for the individual to transcend, and the label folds. But sometimes - with an ounce of luck and years of hard work - the enterprise manages to stay afloat, just long enough to carve out a niche in the eternally fickle jazz market. For over 30 years now, SteepleChase Records has distinguished itself as one such label - offering a unique brand of modern and traditional jazz, from artists old and new, to a loyal band of supporters covering the four corners of the globe.

Every CD on SteepleChase Records is on sale for 3 days only. Regularly $16.99 (singles) & $22.99 (doubles). Now only $13.99 and $19.99! Expires Thursday, June 7th!

SEE ALL STEEPLECHASE TITLES HERE

We appreciate your business, and hope you will shop with us again!

Best Wishes!

Alan Lawrence

The Jazz Loft

Offer Expires June 7, 2007!

Rich Perry's "Hearsay," featuring the compositions and trumpet work of Steve Lampert:

Some of the best Perry I've heard, and Lampert is a fascinating one-off -- his writing is somewhat reminiscent of RCA Jazz Workshop-vintage George Russell, but he is definitely own man, a deep cat.

Rich plays on Lampert's own SteepleChase recording,Venus Perplexed. Larry you should check this out. Steve is also going to have a release later this year on Bridge Records.

This one is actually cheaper at CD Universe than in the Jazz Loft sale. There are some scattered Steeplechase CDs for $11 or $12 at CD Universe, but I can discern no logic to which ones.