SteepleChase dates from the 80's, 90's and 00's

Rooster_Ties

Rich Perry's "Hearsay," featuring the compositions and trumpet work of Steve Lampert:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...26061&BAB=E

Some of the best Perry I've heard, and Lampert is a fascinating one-off -- his writing is somewhat reminiscent of RCA Jazz Workshop-vintage George Russell, but he is definitely own man, a deep cat.

Rich plays on Lampert's own SteepleChase recording,Venus Perplexed. Larry you should check this out. Steve is also going to have a release later this year on Bridge Records.

I will.

Tom (Rooster) — if you're still reading this thread, you'll want to check out Dave Ballou. He's a "progressive" trumpet player with a contract with Steeplechase. He's made quite a few sides for them. Good chops, nice sound, and interesting ideas.

Tenor fans will definitely want to check out Ari Ambrose. Our own Ken Dryden reviewed some of Ambrose's work for AMG. The kid can play. Think Archie Shepp from the New Thing at Newport record, and then add considerably more technique. At least that's how I hear (some of) Ambrose. His solos are also not dry or academic; he's got something to say.

• 1 year later...

I'm delighted that I started getting serviced again with Steeplechase CDs. Not only have I enjoyed George Colligan, Vincent Gardner and Eric Rasmussen, all of whom I was previously unfamiliar, but I also dig Andy LaVerne, Harold Danko, Rich Perry and many others who have recorded extensively for the label.

There's a third Freeman to add to the two before mentioned ones:

31351.jpg

I also quite regret these costing so much... I usually only buy them when I find them on sale, but I guess I've got 25 or 30 of them by now. Favourites are the Johnny Dyanis, the Walt Dickersons, also all the Ken McIntyre's I've heard have things going on that are of interest. Then there's the wonderful Pierre Dorge... his New Jungle Orchestra discs are among my favourite yurpeen jazz albums.

I just wish these CDs weren't so expensive :o

Jeez, you US residents... Amazon has them for only $19.98! Here in France it would be about the same figure in euros... I could order them from Amazon in the US, get them shipped here, and it would still be cheaper than going to the local store. I have no sympathy!