Bud Shank R.I.P.

Cyril

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere last year, and it may have been in the booklet for his Mosaic box, that his soundtrack album to the surfing movie Barefoot Adventure was the first PJ album to earn royalties. Dick Bock called him up and said that he had never paid royalties before, so what do you want to do? Bock gave him the choice of cash or a new hi-fi system. Shank chose the hi-fi.

Ah, this is tough news to hear. I loved his playing.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bud and his wife a few years ago while he was playing at Spazio's in Los Angeles... they were extremely friendly! During one of the sets I was sitting at the bar with Bud's wife, and a fan came up to talk to her, saying something like "gosh, listening to Bud right now you can really tell that Art Pepper was Bud's idol"... she shot the fan an icy stare and retorted "Bud was Art's idol"!

After Bud's third set, we hung out and talked about the music until the joint closed... I distinctly remember Bud's arrangement of "All The Things You Are" was a particularly complex one, and I dug it a great deal.

R.I.P. Bud. May your spirit continue to soar!

Shane

i am completely shocked and sadded to come home and hear this. bud shank was a great influence on myself, as he was on west coast jazz, and jazz in general. his had a multifaceted career that went from the big bands to the lighthouse to the studios but that doesn't even begin to sum it up. i do a week run in 2001: w/ conte candoli, bill perkins, bill mays, bob magnusson and joe labarbara. it was so good to finally see him.

you guys i cant stress enough how sad i am over this- bud shank was a big part of my jazz-life in that i heard his music very early on and always enjoyed the varied atomospheres his music took him too-- in fact i just got one recently, an 80s one, which is an extension on his brazillian records- but its more in the vein of like a pat metheny group braziallan record than bud shank/donato or bud shank/clare fisher, etc.....

I had the pleasure of meeting Bud and his wife a few years ago while he was playing at Spazio's in Los Angeles... they were extremely friendly! During one of the sets I was sitting at the bar with Bud's wife, and a fan came up to talk to her, saying something like "gosh, listening to Bud right now you can really tell that Art Pepper was Bud's idol"... she shot the fan an icy stare and retorted "Bud was Art's idol"!

:lol:

So sad.

I'ved loved his playing since I was a teenager. One of my first buys was one of his quartet albums on PJ (UK Vogue). It's still one of my favourite records. Fortunately I got see him live in the UK some years ago.

Thanks for the music Bud.

Sad news, but then he was around for a long time.

I love his early playing, I think the Shank Pacific Mosaic is quite a bit underrated. In later years his tone got so ripe and emotional, his music was often of stark beauty... I guess you can tell I'm a fan!

Very sad to hear this - I'll be sure to dig out the Mosaic set this weekend, have always liked his PJ sessions. And what a prolific player too ! Just saw him the once out in LA but it was over several days of concerts so I got to hear him quite a bit. He was on very good form and was happy to sign a program for me. RIP Mr Shank. :(

He's one of the few jazz heavies I've talked to.

Very friendly guy. He did not think much of the surf records.

Seemed a little embarrassed about their success.

He had 5 balanced action Selmer altos and did not know which was best - kind of picked them randomly, as I understood :-) Played a soft setup.

Bud Shank has left the herd but not the heard.

Edited by flat5