MLB 2009 Season

They were saying on the Fox broadcast yesterday that when the old stadium comes down next door, the ball might carry even more in that park.

Which doesn't really make sense, if you consider the alignment of the stadiums:

16shadow.500.jpg

There's no way the wind carries out to right field any different than it used to, nor would the building next door have anything to do with wind patterns in that direction.

The reality, however, is that while the Yankees claim to have duplicated the dimensions of the old stadium, its simply not true. They duplicated the measurements at the old markers, but right field out to right center is shorter, plus the wall is shorter too:

nys_vs_rys_overlay.jpg

I created this by using actual prints from the new stadium, and by using high resolution satellite photos for the old stadium. You may have heard that the dimensions at the new park are the same as the old park, but that is not strictly true. In certain spots the distances are the same or similar, but there are significant differences in the fence line. As you can see in the diagram, most of right field is shorter in the new park, by as much as 9 feet, but more typically by 4-5 feet (the blue dotted lines in the corners are scale markings that are 4 feet apart.) In center field, the new park is actually a bit deeper, and in left field, the parks are very similar. From some analysis I’ve done on home runs, these differences would tend to increase home runs overall, and particularly in middle-to-lower power hitters.

That's from the Hit Tracker website, via the Was Watching blog. Hit Tracker has concluded that the balls appear to be a bit more juiced this year, neutralizing for atmospheric conditions.

If the data is correct and Yankee Stadium will play smaller than the park it replaced, and the balls are juiced, I think its a bad thing for the Yankees, overall. I think there will be quite a few games blown up by the No-Name Bullpen, and its also possible that as the weather warms up, even the better members of the staff will be victimized by some cheapie home runs. It will put more pressure on the aging lineup to put runs on the board. If Posada and Matsui don't do their jobs, it could indeed be a long year in the Bronx.

You know the new stadium looks smaller than the bread box the WFC's call home. The right field wall in Philly is further out and about twice as high.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn't realize it until Gammons mentioned it tonight, but the Jays lost over 30 games last year where their pitching staff allowed 3 or fewer runs. Should have been a tipoff that if they could muster any kind of offense this year, they might make a move. Could be one of the surprise teams that hangs around.

The problem with the Jays is that most of the pitchers that helped them achieve that level of pitching last year are on the D.L. (McGowan, Litsch, there's someone else I think) or gone (Burnett). And most of them will be gone all year. I don't think its fair to expect the pitchers aside from Halladay to keep it up.

Good point. And it's still early.

It's what makes baseball so much fun, especially early in the year. Along with Toronto , Padres 9-4(A team that should be a safe bet to lose 100+) Seattle 8-5....

You know the new stadium looks smaller than the bread box the WFC's call home. The right field wall in Philly is further out and about twice as high.

Before we get carried away regarding the new Yankees stadium also in the top four on the list for most home runs hit in opening week at a new ball park is Pac Bell Park. Aside from being a useless stat we all know where the Giants play is not a band box.

I thank as soon as pitchers know where the safe places to pitch to are it will be fine.

Nice game from Masterson today , the SOX are BACK !

It showed us why Masterson might be the biggest difference-maker of all. So long as the bullpen doesn't miss a beat with Ramirez, Okajima and Saito getting the ball to Papelbon (I think the bullpen as a whole has given up 1 run in the past 25 innings), Masterson can replace anyone in the bullpen from Dice-K down to Penny, and that's before Smoltz becomes the official "#6".

Yeah, pitching depth is a nice thing to have. ;)

Talking about Nolan Ryan last night

WTF

Ryan never won the Cy Young

Best he ever did was 2nd in '73 to Jim Palmer. Finished 3rd in '74 & '77 too. He was wild back then though with 2 of those years walking 200+ (though on close or more than 300 innings. And people get all a fluttery about Sabathia's pitch counts... :) )

The 2 season he had the best shot at winning the award he had some rotten luck. He was spectacular in 1981 pitching in the cavernous Astrodome with a league leading ERA of 1.69 and a winning % of .688. I say winning % as he went just 11-5 due to the strike. And this was also the year of Fernandomania.

I would have given it to him in 1987. ERA title of 2.76 and the strikeout leader too with 270 in 211 2/3. But the Astros just didn't score for him and he went 8-16 and finished 5th in the voting because of it. In 10 of his starts the Astros scored zero or one run. In 5 they scored 2. That's how you lose 16 games being the ERA leader! Steve Bedrosian won, which is usually the way relievers win the award when no starter stands out, or the best starter doesn't get enough Ws.

Edited by Quincy

Meanwhile in St Louis. I know it's early but there are reasons for optimism here even with the shelving of Cris Carpenter for the next few weeks. Pineiro is at last pounding the strike zone with sinkers and you saw the result with the Mets last night. Ryan Franklin has 4 saves, albeit he's not a typical high-octane closer. Hopefully either Perez or Motte will emerge ready before midseason as Franklin is better suited to set up duty. The third base platoon is working, at least the first time around the league.Ryan Ludwick show s no signs of a sophomore slump and if Ankeil gets going it could be an exciting summer in the Mound City. I for one am not willing to resign myself to an inevitable Cubs division title.

I try to be a bit agnostic on the whole Yankees-Red Sox thing, but is there any rivalry in sports that comes close? The history, the big games, the memorable plays, the contrasts (right down to the parks). Cubs-Cards, Dodgers-Giants, Celtics-Lakers, Cowboys-Skins, Habs-Bruins ... none of them are in the same category, in my mind. I'm a huge fan of this rivalry.

Marlins were 2 outs away from a shutout and they allow 7 runs in the ninth, wasting a 3-hit performance by Johnson. Brutal. Didn't see the game but apparently everyone's favorite SS Hanley Ramirez dogged it around the bases, turning a triple into a double, then got thrown out trying to steal third. ... Maybe fitting for the Marlins that it all took place on dog night. ... Drew 29,000-plus though.

Looks like the Rays are going to win one tonight. ... :mellow:

I would like to welcome all struggling teams to come to Oakland where your hosts will have the distinction of being too old, slow and completely lacking in the hitting and defense department with the added benefit of having a pitching staff that is too young and inexperienced. There won't be any fans to watch you sweep but hey a win is a win.

Maybe when they are done with the movie Billy Ball, Brad Pitt can just stay in as a permanent replacement as Beane. At least it might be fun to go have a drink with Angelina and look at her instead of the crap that is on the field.

Pedroia may turn out to be the goat in this one - though I still like our chances against the soft underbelly of the Yankee bullpen - but this game was fucked up by Beckett first and then Francona. Beckett SUCKED BALLS whether from the extra rest or whatever - and it was ridiculous to bring him out in the sixth inning after the miraculous comeback and over 100 pitches. There's no fucking way. You dodged a bullet by letting him pitch the fifth after they climbed back into the game; now he has the lead and could get a win, pat him on the ass and send him to the showers. That decision was Grady-esque.

Now can Lowell avoid a double play? He was on pace for 89, which he might not accomplish but with his straight ahead speed so bad, I definitely think Rice's name could be erased from the record book.

Meanwhile in St Louis. I know it's early but there are reasons for optimism here even with the shelving of Cris Carpenter for the next few weeks. Pineiro is at last pounding the strike zone with sinkers and you saw the result with the Mets last night. Ryan Franklin has 4 saves, albeit he's not a typical high-octane closer. Hopefully either Perez or Motte will emerge ready before midseason as Franklin is better suited to set up duty. The third base platoon is working, at least the first time around the league.Ryan Ludwick show s no signs of a sophomore slump and if Ankeil gets going it could be an exciting summer in the Mound City. I for one am not willing to resign myself to an inevitable Cubs division title.

....agreed!

For the 2nd night in a row the WCFs entered the 9th trailing the Marlins and pulled out a victory. Not as dramatic as last night's but hey I'll take it ;)

Another ball hit up the middle that it looked like Hanley could have at least dived to keep from going into the outfield, and he just kind of waved at it while jogging in the general direction. I believe the go-ahead run scored on that one. Does this guy take plays off or am I just catching all his bad hi(low) lights?