MLB 2009 Season

What the hell was Francona arguing about after the umps watched the video replay and correctly ruled Santos hit was indeed a HR? The announcers said something about the Met 3B coach interfering with Sheffield on the base paths, but that was obviously moot once the HR was called. And then Papelbon running out onto the field disgusted that the 2B umpire made the out call on the Wright stab and throw to second for the force out. And of course it was obviously the right call. Looks like the Red Sox cannot at all accept blowing a game in the 9th at Fenway. Their histrionics were pretty bush, IMO.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the bullpen has been every bit as good as was hoped, and given Papi's problems and injuries to Youkilis and Lowrie, the offense has been as good as could be hoped. But the rotation is the worst or next to worst in the league! If Lester and Beckett find their form then there might be some hope.

Interesting too that Smoltz may be ready around June 15, and that happens to be the date that Penny, as a free agent signing, can be traded. I can very much see him getting moved to make room for Smoltz, making the path for Bowden and Buchholz to get their chances that much clearer. And I think Penny would have some value to any team looking for half way decent starting pitching. He does manage to pitch quality starts despite his high overall ERA. And he does bring it at 94-95, which suggests that he's healthy again.

And oh by the way - BIG PAPI HIT A HOMER TO STRAIGHTAWAY CENTERFIELD!

Finally!

Um...Dan?

It's only May.

What with Toronto losing today as well, it's quite a logjam in the AL East!

getting to be that way.

With Kazmir on the DL, Price is going to be called up on Monday by the Rays, who drop-kicked the Marlins again tonight to crawl a game over .500 and within 3.5 games of first place. ... The Marlins look like a mess, from what I saw. They were well over 100 pitches by the third inning in Friday night's blowout. The pen is weary, they were kicking the ball around on defense a bit and they're not real scary at the plate. No situational hitting at all. ... Anyways, I better shut up. Last time I said a team looked bad against the Rays it was the A's and they promptly went out and won two straight from Tampa.

All I know is, it's good to get Kaz and Percy out of there and get Price and Isringhousen in. See what they can do.

What the hell was Francona arguing about after the umps watched the video replay and correctly ruled Santos hit was indeed a HR? The announcers said something about the Met 3B coach interfering with Sheffield on the base paths, but that was obviously moot once the HR was called. And then Papelbon running out onto the field disgusted that the 2B umpire made the out call on the Wright stab and throw to second for the force out. And of course it was obviously the right call. Looks like the Red Sox cannot at all accept blowing a game in the 9th at Fenway. Their histrionics were pretty bush, IMO.

Any manager would have made the claim that the third base coach grabbing Sheffield was illegal. Of course it was moot but you can't blame him for pointing it out and trying to argue it. Not remotely bush especially considering that there were no histrionics involved.

The in-bred hillbilly fuck-up on the other hand is as big a bush league moron as they come.

Edit to add that losing a series in that manner to the mother fucking METS is not acceptable anywhere.

Edited by Dan Gould

Well this is a fucking PISSER of a day, as the Yankees steal one, and then in-bred hillbilly PIECE OF SHIT Papelbon fucks one away by grooving a fastball to some fucking loser who barely clears the yellow line on the Monster.

LOL at Papelbon going from World Series hero to "inbred hillbilly piece of shit" in record time.

Enjoyed the walk-off walk against the Halos last night. Dodgers win. Lakers win. Great night to be an LA sports fan.

Edited by Noj

Any manager would have made the claim that the third base coach grabbing Sheffield was illegal. Of course it was moot but you can't blame him for pointing it out and trying to argue it. Not remotely bush especially considering that there were no histrionics involved.

The in-bred hillbilly fuck-up on the other hand is as big a bush league moron as they come.

Edit to add that losing a series in that manner to the mother fucking METS is not acceptable anywhere.

I disagree in that once the HR was verified, there is absolutely no point delaying the game further with an argurment whose point is obviously moot. As for Papelbon, I chalk up his behavior to some immaturity, but I'd take him on my team anyday. He'll grow up once he realizes that absolute perfection in save opportunities is an impossibility.

I disagree in that once the HR was verified, there is absolutely no point delaying the game further with an argurment whose point is obviously moot. As for Papelbon, I chalk up his behavior to some immaturity, but I'd take him on my team anyday. He'll grow up once he realizes that absolute perfection in save opportunities is an impossibility.

If Melancon doesn't work out, you'll get your chance soon enough, as he believes he should get more than "Mariano dollars" when he becomes a free agent, and only the Yankees will pay that.

Well at least it didn't cost us the game this time.

Damn. Philles should have swept the Yanks. Johnny Damon has definitely lost a step. He got thrown out at home for the second time this series and today's play wasn't even close. Did anyone catch Teixeira's HR off Hamels?? The pitch busted his bat about two inches above his grip and it still made it out thanks to the wind. That park is a freakin' joke.

I notice -- and I'm a little surprised not to have noticed this already -- that Toronto has played just 9 games against AL East opponents, and is 4-5 in those games. They have amassed much of their current winning record against the AL Central, where they are 16-8. By comparison, every other AL East team has played at least 22 games (Baltimore is 23) against AL East opponents, with only the Sox (16-6) and Rays (12-10) having winning records there.

The point? Maybe if you believe the AL Central is somewhat weaker than the East (and only one team -- the Royals -- has a winning record against the AL East. Most of the rest are dismal), then the Jays record might flatten out here as soon as they engage the East in earnest. They have now lost 6 in a row and I look for them to be battling the Rays for third place in the not-too-distant future.

This was being remarked upon when they were in first but hadn't played the Yanks yet - and then they lost two of three and were swept by Boston.

Meantime the big story in Boston is Ortiz, in one form or fashion.

First, the Nationals offered Nick Johnson straight up for Manny Delcarmen, and it was serious enough that MDC got a text message from his agent. But cooler heads prevailed and the Sox rejected the offer. I'm glad they did as MDC is pitching as well as he ever has, and Johnson is way too much of an injury risk to take on. And its too early in my opinion to give up on Papi, which a Johnson trade would necessitate, or do you put a bat like that on the bench as insurance? No way.

Second, the Globe is now reporting that the batting coach, Magadan (what is it with mediocre hitters getting gigs as hitting coaches?) saying that they would probably discuss moving Ortiz down in the lineup on the flight to Minnesota tonight. Before, when moving Ortiz down was mentioned, Tito always said "well that ends up effecting everybody else, so you don't do that lightly." Now it looks like Ortiz may be forcing their hand.

I'm glad they'll consider it as he's been just too much of a black hole - here they are one of the best records in the league, and their number three hitter hasn't done a single thing to win a game the entire year. If he isn't done, finished, kaput, then getting him right should make a big difference in what has been a pretty productive offense without him.

The question is where do you move him, and who goes to the three-hole? Tito loves the L-R-L-R progression, so in my opinion the only thing to do is to move Drew to Papi's spot and drop Papi down to five or six. Drew doesn't have the batting average that a true number three should, but he takes a lot of pitches - Drew and Youk together could easily force a starter to throw 14-20 pitches each time they face them - and he gets on base (.382 this year) which sets up Youk.

The alternative might be Bay in the third spot, also not such a sparkling hitter for average but a power hitter like him in front of Youk might see more fastballs.

Bottom line, I like the idea of moving Papi down, maybe taking a little bit of pressure of him. Give him June to get himself right, if he's still hovering around .210 by then, its time to make a move. There should also be more bats on the market at that point as well, leaving them with more potential trade partners.

Bad news for the Rays - Aki is out for the year with a torn ACL and other damage to his knee and ankle. He's not exactly one of the tough outs in the lineup, but a complete player who helps with his glove, bat, legs and general smarts. Repeating as division champion or AL champion just got tougher.

Meantime why would Girardi pull Hughes after eight shutout, three-hit innings when his pitch count was at 102 and he was cruising? You get a chance to give a young kid with a checkered big league history the chance to throw his first complete game shutout, why not let him? And then, after declaring that Aceves might be called on to pitch the eighth inning now that Bruney is right back on the D.L., he sends Aceves out in mop-up work and he promptly gives up a home run to lose the shut out. No reason whatsoever not to let Hughes pitch the ninth. Unless things totally got away from him, he at least gets credit for a complete game, and he had a good shot at his first shut out.

The Jays keep sinking, loss number seven in a row now. Fortunately the Sox started out right in Minnesota, with a 6-5 win, the assist going to the Twins manager for sitting Joe Mauer, with ten homers in 80 ABs. He pinch hit in the ninth down three and promptly took Papel-BUM out to give a little scare. Imagine if he had played the whole game, we might have been losing at that point.

So for you Eastern-baseball haters, its the Sox in first place, the Yankees a game back, and then everyone else. Things are normal again, in other words. :g

And 10-2 in the eighth. Glad it didn't happen to the Sox or I might have broken the board. :crazy:

(actually I don't think it could have happened to the Sox, too many excellent arms in the pen to have that kind of collapse. They've still only lost once when leading after six complete.)

At least our Indians fans have to be enjoying what is likely to be the biggest highlight of the entire season.

Bad news for Aki. Didn't see the play.

Something to keep an eye on: Rays offense is picking up. They flashed a stat on tonight's broadcast last inning saying Tampa leads the majors for the month of May with, I think, 6.8 runs/game.

I saw the replay and it looked pretty dirty to me, yet Dave Winfield acted like it was a clean play.....If Omar Infante hadn't just had his hand broken on pitch a few days ago, I'd say a good move would have been for you guys to trade for Martin Prado of the braves. He can really hit, and plays a mean 3rd and 2nd base....but won't ever be a regular with Booby Cox as manager. Moot point anyway....

Bad news for Aki. Didn't see the play.

I saw the replay and it looked pretty dirty to me, yet Dave Winfield acted like it was a clean play.

The Rays themselves, including Maddon, called it "hard baseball," not dirty, so I don't think there's too much to complain about. He was certainly close enough to tag second base, Aki's foot was sort of locked and he didn't roll with the contact as quickly as he should have.

Going into yesterday's action, Raul Ibanez was leading the NL in homers (17), RBI (43), Slugging (.739), extra-base hits (29), total bases (122) and HR ratio (9.71). All while hitting .347

Oh and he's 6th in the NL All-Star balloting. WTF?

In the outfield, the guys on the heels of Braun include a scrum of All-Star veterans, with the Cubs' Alfonso Soriano (545,354) and the Mets' Carlos Beltran (476,843) in line for starts by running second and third.

The outfield's second tier is comprised of Ramirez (442,763), the Brewers' Mike Cameron (432,034) and Raul Ibanez (399,969) of the Phillies.

Soriano is the 2nd leading vote getter for OF??? He of a .250 batting avg. and 46 whiffs in 42 games?? Way to go Cubs fans.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...8&fext=.jsp