MLB 2009 Season

And its a final in Minnesota - 3-1 Sox, the Yankees are in second place by 1/2 a game. :P

Now the Sox travel to Toronto while the Yanks visit Cleveland. Cleveland's been playing better lately so there's some hope they'll slow the Yankees down. Toronto has stunk, which concerns me because the law of averages suggests they'll start winning soon, and 9 straight is a streak that's more likely to end than to go to 12 straight. Fun fact for the Sox: back-to-back weeks with a series against the Jays and they actually manage to miss Doc Holliday. That's a fortunate thing.

Dan,

Can you help me with my lottery numbers?

Yanks up 3-1 in the bottom of the 7th in Cleveland. A win put 'em first all by their lonesome.

Up over and out.

And again.

They can't hit their way out of a paper bag, the starters suck, today the relievers sucked, and I believe they are on the cusp of full-blown collapse, considering who they face after Toronto - Detroit, Texas, the Yankees. Unless someone starts beating the Yankees, I am going to say that by the time the Yankees leave Fenway on June 11th, the deficit will be five games and counting. If Lester doesn't save them from a sweep tomorrow, it will be worse.

Edited by Dan Gould

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think there's any doubt at this point, that the Sox are missing Manny big time. I know he was a cancer and that they needed to get rid of him, but losing a quality bat like that in the middle of the lineup is just devastating. Look at the Yankees before A-Rod came back and you get some idea of how much a guy like Manny meant to them. Just ask David Ortiz. He'd kill for a Manny-like presence to take the heat off and give him better looks. Jason Bay is a solid player and way ahead defensively, but he can't bring it to the plate like Manny did.

Up over and out.

I don't think there's any doubt at this point, that the Sox are missing Manny big time. I know he was a cancer and that they needed to get rid of him, but losing a quality bat like that in the middle of the lineup is just devastating. Look at the Yankees before A-Rod came back and you get some idea of how much a guy like Manny meant to them. Just ask David Ortiz. He'd kill for a Manny-like presence to take the heat off and give him better looks. Jason Bay is a solid player and way ahead defensively, but he can't bring it to the plate like Manny did.

Up over and out.

Take a look at Youkilis' numbers before you decide that Manny being long gone is the problem. He has been raking from the #4 spot all season, except for the time he missed with the oblique strain.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Call me irresponsible, but there's something about Manny with a stick in his hands that's just different. I know when the Yanks were playing Boston, he's the last guy I wanted to see headed to he plate. No denigration of Youk, he's solid, but Manny he ain't.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Going into yesterday's action, Raul Ibanez was leading the NL in homers (17), RBI (43), Slugging (.739), extra-base hits (29), total bases (122) and HR ratio (9.71). All while hitting .347

Oh and he's 6th in the NL All-Star balloting. WTF?

In the outfield, the guys on the heels of Braun include a scrum of All-Star veterans, with the Cubs' Alfonso Soriano (545,354) and the Mets' Carlos Beltran (476,843) in line for starts by running second and third.

The outfield's second tier is comprised of Ramirez (442,763), the Brewers' Mike Cameron (432,034) and Raul Ibanez (399,969) of the Phillies.

Soriano is the 2nd leading vote getter for OF??? He of a .250 batting avg. and 46 whiffs in 42 games?? Way to go Cubs fans.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...8&fext=.jsp

Latest tally has Ibanez 2nd, Manny 5th.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4222195

Going into yesterday's action, Raul Ibanez was leading the NL in homers (17), RBI (43), Slugging (.739), extra-base hits (29), total bases (122) and HR ratio (9.71). All while hitting .347

In the outfield, the guys on the heels of Braun include a scrum of All-Star veterans, with the Cubs' Alfonso Soriano (545,354) and the Mets' Carlos Beltran (476,843) in line for starts by running second and third.

The outfield's second tier is comprised of Ramirez (442,763), the Brewers' Mike Cameron (432,034) and Raul Ibanez (399,969) of the Phillies.

Soriano is the 2nd leading vote getter for OF??? He of a .250 batting avg. and 46 whiffs in 42 games?? Way to go Cubs fans.

First post was lost cuz the power went out...anyway...Thank God Manny has dropped and Ibanez is up to #2. He deserves it. I was really hoping the braves would sign him, but he was a leftie(Of course so is Garrett Anderson) and too expensive. And I think people in the organization thought he was too old. Well, Frenchy is 25, but I would sure take old over young in this case.

Heres a telling fact to how completely useless the braves outfield is right now. Jeff Francoeur hit a homer May 1st. Anderson hit one May 31st(His first of the year) Guess how many homers were hit in between those days???? 0

First post was lost cuz the power went out...anyway...Thank God Manny has dropped and Ibanez is up to #2. He deserves it. I was really hoping the braves would sign him, but he was a leftie(Of course so is Garrett Anderson) and too expensive. And I think people in the organization thought he was too old. Well, Frenchy is 25, but I would sure take old over young in this case.

Heres a telling fact to how completely useless the braves outfield is right now. Jeff Francoeur hit a homer May 1st. Anderson hit one May 31st(His first of the year) Guess how many homers were hit in between those days???? 0

0?? That's brutal. Yeah, I was on the fence about the Ibanez signing. Love his bat and hustle, but wondering how he will hold up at 36(and 37 and 38). So far he has been amazing. Don't take it too bad though - you guys got a steal in Lowe. Phillies F'd up BIG TIME by not signing him. He would have been a great fit for the Bank.

After pitching 6 shutout innings in what was supposed to be Tom Glavine's final minor league start before coming up to the big club, they have instead released him!!!! :angry:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9642590...ndary-P-Glavine

As much as Wren denies it, it really looks like a salary dump to me- Atlanta saves $4.5 mil by releasing Glavine. With how short pitching is, especially lefthanders, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else pick him up if he'll work cheap.

I saw this, Conrad and my reaction is that its a very gutsy thing to do - not that Glavine is going to go anywhere else and pitch like its 1998. He's done, shot, toast, kaput, finished. The very fact that he completed his rehab against single A hitters says something. The fact is he was awful before needing surgery to continue his career. So its gutsy in the sense of cutting ties with a future hall of famer, former star in order to avoid paying him a million dollars, plus the risk that he might earn some portion of the incentives in his contract. But really, Braves fans should be glad to get on with the future by sticking with the great prospect and moving on. They'll be better off this year, and frankly I think any team willing to sign a washed up future Hall of Famer would be much better off with Pedro than with Glavine.

I think the more significant transaction on this day is the trade for Nate McLouth for a bunch of minor leaguers. That's going to be a nice shot in the arm for the offense.

A shocked Cliff Lee gets a month's worth of offense in a 10-1 win at Minnesota.

Followed by going on the DL sometime within the next two weeks. You know it's going to happen... it's been that kind of year for Cleveland

Edited by Matthew

I saw this, Conrad and my reaction is that its a very gutsy thing to do - not that Glavine is going to go anywhere else and pitch like its 1998. He's done, shot, toast, kaput, finished. The very fact that he completed his rehab against single A hitters says something. The fact is he was awful before needing surgery to continue his career. So its gutsy in the sense of cutting ties with a future hall of famer, former star in order to avoid paying him a million dollars, plus the risk that he might earn some portion of the incentives in his contract. But really, Braves fans should be glad to get on with the future by sticking with the great prospect and moving on. They'll be better off this year, and frankly I think any team willing to sign a washed up future Hall of Famer would be much better off with Pedro than with Glavine.

I think the more significant transaction on this day is the trade for Nate McLouth for a bunch of minor leaguers. That's going to be a nice shot in the arm for the offense.

Dan, if I was not a Braves fan, I might feel that way. It was a bold, money saving move both to keep Hanson down on the farm this long, after every 5th starter has all but guaranteed a loss all year long. It was about keeping Hanson's future salary down(Why else call up Medlin before him?) and saving the 1 million they had to pay him if he made a start (by the way, good luck braves, ever signing someone to a incentive laden contract again) .

I've been all for Hanson being with the team out of spring training, but everyone and their brother thought Jordan Schafer was the 2nd coming of Grady Sizemore, and now he may instead be the second coming of Brad Komminsk. Everyone not named Quincy, look him up! ;) It would have been smart to have Hanson up earlier to see if he really was all that and a bag of chips, or not ready. Then go with Glavine and get 5-6 innings every 5th day, with3-4 runs allowed. Better than what we have now.

If Glavine plays for say the Brewers and wins a fair number of games, and Hanson pitches well, I will be happy.

Oh, except about Nate McLouth. Great trade, Pirates could have gotten a lot more for him, I'd imagine from say the White Sox??? But from what I am hearing the braves are going to have him bat...leadoff. His 9 homers(Chipper and Kelly Johnson have the team lead with 5 each) and 34 RBI’s translate into 31 HR’s and 117 RBI’s for the season. Yeah, have him bat leadoff, and keep Frenchy batting where he can strand runners time and time again.

Unless "we" make another move and either trade and/or release Frenchy and get another bat, seems insane to have him leadoff....

Randy Johnson won his 300th game today.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/big-...article1169624/

"The Big Unit hit the big number on Thursday, becoming the 24th pitcher to reach one of baseball’s most revered milestones. Johnson tossed two-hit ball over six innings, leading the San Francisco Giants to a 5-1 victory over the Washington Nationals in the first game of a doubleheader."

So Ellsbury gets demoted to the bottom of the order after he had a hit in 22 straight games ?....I don't get it what does the kid need to improve on now ?

How about his on base percentage, which is atrocious for a lead off man? The fact is that they are unbeaten since this change, with decent run production for a change, and Ellsbury's on-base percentage has actually been a bit better hitting eighth (pitchers are less concerned with walking him when Lugo or Green are on deck). I'd like to see this lineup continue when Lowrie gets back, as he will be a better ninth hitter than Green or Lugo, with better patience.

Ellsbury says that with his speed, pitchers don't want to nibble and that's why he doesn't draw walks. But he needs to take lessons from someone like Damon, who developed the ability to foul off the tough pitches until he got one he could handle or ultimately did draw a walk. That's how you become a top lead-off man - by getting the fuck on base, one way or the other!

Until he does that, there should be no change in the lineup unless, by some crazy luck, Ortiz reclaims his #3 spot. I don't think its likely, but I've also noticed that he's really had appalling luck lately when he does get a hold of a pitch. A few long outs and scorched line drives with nothing to show for it.