MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought he was going to build on 2008 - have similar results and pitch deeper into games with better command and economy. I'm sick of him and truly fear that by the end of next season he'll be worthless and we'll be stuck with him for two more years after that.

And this fucking game is infuriating me - Matzuzaka can never pitch for this squad again and I'll be much happier/three outs made at second base/the bases loaded and one out and nobody scores all adding up to a fucking lost series to the utterly unimpressive Rangers (I'm trying to be nice here, Al) at home (where the fucking Rangers haven't won in twelve years or something.

Lighten up, Dan. It's one series. In JUNE! Out of how many series in "twelve years or something?" The Rangers play the Sox two more series this year. IF by some miracle the Rangers manage to go over .500 on your club this year, THEN you may have a legitimate gripe. And even then it won't matter if your boys are on top and mine are finding their usual way to mid-season mediocrity. But until that happens (and I'm not holding my breath, just enjoying it for as long as it lasts), spare me your charity and stop acting like the Red Sox deserved to win these games more than the Rangers.

And this fucking game is infuriating me - Matzuzaka can never pitch for this squad again and I'll be much happier/three outs made at second base/the bases loaded and one out and nobody scores all adding up to a fucking lost series to the utterly unimpressive Rangers (I'm trying to be nice here, Al) at home (where the fucking Rangers haven't won in twelve years or something.

Lighten up, Dan. It's one series. In JUNE! Out of how many series in "twelve years or something?" The Rangers play the Sox two more series this year. IF by some miracle the Rangers manage to go over .500 on your club this year, THEN you may have a legitimate gripe. And even then it won't matter if your boys are on top and mine are finding their usual way to mid-season mediocrity. But until that happens (and I'm not holding my breath, just enjoying it for as long as it lasts), spare me your charity and stop acting like the Red Sox deserved to win these games more than the Rangers.

They're 4.5 games ahead in first place! Same record as the Yankees. Tied for the third-best record in baseball! ... cheer up! :g I'm loving what the Rangers are doing this year. You gotta get that Hamilton guy back on track and cranked up again!!

Meanwhile, the Rays blew it today, giving up a 3-run eighth to NY. Blech. :bad: Sonnanstine (7.07 era) v. Pettitte on Monday.

The Brewers blew one today trying to save Hoffman for the 9th.

Atlanta scored 3 in the bottom of the 8th & the bottom of the 9th never happened.

St. Louis lost again - so Brewers still 2 games in front.

Brewers look really good...never could have imagined them in the hunt after losing Sabbathia and Sheets...that series is Atlanta in a nutshell. Either they look like a last place team, or a team that will get into the playoffs...

Tommy Hanson made his Debut against the Brewers and gave up 3 homers and 6 runs...but, you can see he's going to be a good one....what others said...

His catcher Sunday, David Ross, says that Hanson, 6-6, 220 pounds, is the best young pitcher he's ever caught. Scouts compare his wicked slider to that of former Braves ace John Smoltz. Chipper Jones, a former teammate of Smoltz's, agrees.

"He's one guy I'd compare him to," Jones said this spring. "Only with a better repertoire."

A better repertoire than Smoltz. Sizzling fastball with movement. Big, breaking curve. Hard slider. A change-up that's getting better ...

Jones lobbied hard this spring for Hanson to make the opening day rotation "even if you have to go to a six-man rotation, I would do it. ... Once he gets his sea legs in the big leagues, he's going to be a No. 1 starter."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/sportsline/main11831706.shtml

Something encouraging about Ortiz: His line drive rate is quite healthy, around 27%, but his BABIP (batting average on balls in play for you non-stat heads) is way below average. While his strikeout rate is up and walk rate is down, a healthy line drive rate and very low BABIP basically means that he is due for a change in his luck, and with that his overall batting average should start to recover. I'll actually be happy if the only move we make is getting Penny out of there. Ortiz not only could recover but should recover, to an extent, from this horrible start. The other hole is at SS but Lowrie is making a rapid recovery from his wrist surgery. Let him get through his rehab assignment, which could start by the end of the week, and let him play July before you decide if a permanent change is necessary.

In the meantime, resist the urge to overpay in prospects, unless its for someone worth overpaying, like Gonzalez or maybe Victor Martinez.

Is anything in baseball, including the woe-begotten Nationals, more of a joke than that ballpark in the Bronx? The two homers I saw were pop-ups, Damon's was such a joke the outfielder had time to get back to the wall, stand there, and about two full seconds later, the ball dropped straight down into the second row.

This joke of a park isn't just going to break the Coors Field record, its going to obliterate it. 350 minimum. You might see 400. Its a fucking joke is what it is.

And the bit I watched of last night's Yankee game featured fans doing the wave in the 8th inning of a very close game. Hey, I can understand if it's a blowout one way or the other, or if it's an afternoon game with day campers, but...

Few things more depressing than to hear discussions/wishes for Indians stars. Reverting back to being a AAA outfit for teams with loads of cash and lots of postseason aspirations? Anyone hear any legit discussion regarding Cliff Lee or Victor Martinez, or is this just vultures circling an injured dove? I haven't heard any speculation, but then I haven't been hanging on every Tribe at bat either.

At least the Tribe is in the AL Central, so they are not completely out of it yet. The lights are turned off, but maybe the party isn't over yet (though it is quiet and lonely right now).

Last first round pick by the Indians to make a lasting impact in the bigs--C.C. Sabathia in 1998.

Is anything in baseball, including the woe-begotten Nationals, more of a joke than that ballpark in the Bronx?

No.

Well, I've tired of Chris Berman's routine. He doesn't announce a baseball game so much as he pontificates his way through it, rambling away with all sorts of self references and other musings on a variety of well-worn topics while his bewildered partner tries to follow along. It's rambling and ... oh by the way, there's a beautiful double play! We'll be right back.

Is anything in baseball, including the woe-begotten Nationals, more of a joke than that ballpark in the Bronx?

No.

Well, I've tired of Chris Berman's routine. He doesn't announce a baseball game so much as he pontificates his way through it, rambling away with all sorts of self references and other musings on a variety of well-worn topics while his bewildered partner tries to follow along. It's rambling and ... oh by the way, there's a beautiful double play! We'll be right back.

Agreed that Berman has jumped the shark. However, what he does as an announcer has absolutely no effect on the outcome of the game or HR stats unlike the Yankees new home. They need to raise and/or move the fences. If the Phillies moved their left field wall back and didn't go bankrupt from the loss of revenue that the missing rows provided I think the Yankees should be able to do it too.

Check this out....

MLB park factors sorted for HR.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfa...amp;season=2009

And that Yankee Stadium park factor for home runs is the biggest since 2003.

And despite its reputation, Fenway's HR park factor was .85 last year and .987 this year - in other words, favorable to pitchers when it comes to HRs.

And WTF happened at Progressive Field in 2001, with a park factor for home runs over 2? :blink:

In MLB draft today the A's selected Grant Green. Sweet!

Speaking of the draft Boswell wrote about the money the first pick will get and how since 1965, 12 pitchers have been taken No. 1 overall. "Their combined won-loss record is 822-853, and only four -- Mike Moore, Andy Benes, Tim Belcher and Floyd Bannister -- became respected front-line starters on a consistent basis. There are so many examples of high-priced busts -- David Clyde, Todd Van Poppel, Steve Dunning, Ben McDonald -- it's a major risk, historically, to take that route. As Boswell wrote, "Pitching phenoms were born to break your heart. That's bad enough. Don't let them break the bank, too."

Edited by WorldB3