MLB 2009 Season

How about Lenny Dykstra filing bankruptcy, listing debts possibly as high as 50 million and assets of less than $50,000?

Number one, couldn't happen to a nicer guy (NOT!) and number two, not only was this obviously inevitable if you've read anything lately about his business practices but those articles that were linked in the last six months or so paint an ugly picture of a moronic con artist loser.

If there ever was a person for whom debtor's prison would be a proper and fitting sentence, its Lenny Dykstra.*

* IMHO, YMMV, and I am not stating that the same thing could not be said for Bernie Madoff or any of the other recent Hall of Shame financiers.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about Lenny Dykstra filing bankruptcy, listing debts possibly as high as 50 million and assets of less than $50,000?

Number one, couldn't happen to a nicer guy (NOT!) and number two, not only was this obviously inevitable if you've read anything lately about his business practices but those articles that were linked in the last six months or so paint an ugly picture of a moronic con artist loser.

If there ever was a person for whom debtor's prison would be a proper and fitting sentence, its Lenny Dykstra.*

* IMHO, YMMV, and I am not stating that the same thing could not be said for Bernie Madoff or any of the other recent Hall of Shame financiers.

IMHO: Who in the heck would give Dykstra any of their money to invest? I love this sentence from the ESPN article:

According to the bankruptcy petition, Dykstra's largest unsecured creditors include units of JPMorgan Chase & Co., owed $12.9 million, and Bank of America Corp, owed a combined $4.2 million.

What The Heck! Lenny just walks into the bank, "Hey dudes, give me 13 million dollars!" "Sure Lenny, you're good for it!" Goodness gracious, exhibit A on how the banking industry got into such trouble.

There was just a piece abut Lenny on one of those HBO sports shows recently. In it he said he didn't owe anyone anything of course. He got his first big windfall selling his chain of car washes for millions. He lived the life too since then, 10 million dollar plus house, fancy cars etc. and was quite successful investing etc until the stock market tanked and it hit him hard but he basically ignored the warning signs etc. He was asked in the interview how he figured all this finance stuff out to initially make all this money and Lenny answered, invest with me and I'll show you. Mind you this was while he was already being sued and owed all these folks money......

There was never any evidence he was any sort of financial investing genius, and his method of making himself out to be one was to never close losing trades. If you don't bank your losses, you never lose, and you can pretend that all of your trades made money.

Who would have ever thought it? A series between Seattle and Texas starting tonight, and the games actually mean something? And it's an old fashioned four games series at that. Awesome.

Throw in Andruw Jones coming off a 3 home run game, and Felix pitching tonight! Great to have winning baseball back in Seattle.

IMHO: Who in the heck would give Dykstra any of their money to invest? I love this sentence from the ESPN article:

According to the bankruptcy petition, Dykstra's largest unsecured creditors include units of JPMorgan Chase & Co., owed $12.9 million, and Bank of America Corp, owed a combined $4.2 million.

What The Heck! Lenny just walks into the bank, "Hey dudes, give me 13 million dollars!" "Sure Lenny, you're good for it!" Goodness gracious, exhibit A on how the banking industry got into such trouble.

That ESPN report gets even more ridiculous. The name mentioned is Dykstra's attorney:

Hackett said Washington Mutual, now part of JPMorgan, was the main lender on the 2007 home purchase, and that the bank misled Dykstra about his ability to afford the property. The lawyer said the bank deserves nothing on its claim.

Since when does a bank mislead a borrower on his ability to afford the property???? Its the f-ing borrower who convinces the bank he can afford the property, and its up to the bank to verify or not verify his ability to afford the payments. And once the loan is made, its up to the scumbag borrower to make the damn payments. But banks don't mislead borrowers on their ability to afford the property. They can and do mislead borrowers on the terms of their loan and the true cost of their loan. But that lawyer is a true POS and if he argues it in front of the trustee, he should be disbarred.

Edited by Dan Gould

Who would have ever thought it? A series between Seattle and Texas starting tonight, and the games actually mean something? And it's an old fashioned four games series at that. Awesome.

Throw in Andruw Jones coming off a 3 home run game, and Felix pitching tonight! Great to have winning baseball back in Seattle.

And Texas, too! This promises to be an exciting series. Last night's win (and series win) was HUGE. Sure am glad to see good things happening to/for the Rangers right now.

And the slide out of first place is nearly complete. They lose to the truly pathetic Royals this time, blowing leads and having the bullpen fuck away any chance they might have had. Now its 3-4 so far on the HOME FUCKING STAND.

If the bullpen doesn't right itself and Bay and Youkilis don't start hitting again, they will be fighting the Rays for the last playoff spot

AND LOSING

Niemann throws his second complete-game shutout of the year. (And he actually probably went 10 innings, due to three pretty apparent missed calls that went against the Rays).

A's took a lot, lot, lot of first-pitch strikes. Niemann (that big, tall guy out of Rice) threw around 70% of his pitches for strikes. Pretty fearless.

Jonathan Sanchez just threw the first no hitter of the year!!! He is only starting because Randy Johnson went on the DL. Padres were no hit for what, 7 innings last night, then no hit tonight??? Weak offense. Still a great accomplishment. Getting Adrian Gonzalez 4 times is impressive enough.

What the hell is going on with John Smoltz, the Boston bullpen, and games that are supposed to be in the bag?

Smoltz was the starter in the game that ended with the infamous bullpen meltdown, pissing away a nine run lead in less than five outs, and now at Fenway, against the Royals for God's sake, he's staked to a 9-1 lead, gone after five innings, seven strikeouts, and right off the bat Masterson gives up five runs in the sixth and Okajima gives up another in the seventh before Bard saved his ass by throwing ten pitches to get two strikeouts and a flyout with the tying run on base.

9-7 middle of seven. You gotta let Bard pitch the eighth -even though Tito was talking about not putting the guy into do-or-die situations. He seems like the only guy who isn't afraid to go after 'em.

Great profile of Earl Weaver here from S.I.

Fascinating to realize how far ahead of his time Earl was in valuing OBP and stats like pitcher-hitter matchups. Plus he's just a fun character to read about.

I had forgotten how relatively young (just in his 50s) he was when he stopped managing. If had he been born 10 years later he could still be managing as Torre, La Russa and Leyland are all still at it in their mid-60s & older. Then again had he kept going he may have dropped dead from a heart attack in an argument with an ump. :lol: I would love to have an uncensored channel with game commentary from Earl, be it him watching a broadcast with Joe Morgan in the booth or just on his own. :)

Edited by Quincy

Speaking of uncensored, I can't say I am surprised to learn that the infamous youtube clip of him on the post-game show going off about stealing bases was done as a lark and never actually broadcast. No way he keeps the gig if he can't censor himself on live TV.

Still funny as hell though.

If they are serious about trading for Doc, I hope it doesn't cripple the team by giving up too much. Plus the real problem is that Holladay, while signed through next season, would almost certainly want a contract extension to waive his no-trade. He's 32 now, you want to extend a 33 year old, at huge dollars, for four or five years? Especially with that much mileage? Yeah its great that he throws so consistently deep into games. But the reality is that virtually no one in the game avoids arm trouble forever. The act of throwing is simply not natural and too violent to the arm to keep it up, year after year.

So you'd be betting on Holladay being the rare bird whose innings never catch up with him, because that extention is going to take him to the end of his career, or very nearly so.

On the other hand, slot in Holladay with Beckett and Lester and, for this year, Smoltz, and don't they become big favorites to win it all both this year and next?

Its a tough choice. and I am not reading that much into the presence of scouts (and its totally foolish to think that Buchholz pitching on Friday in Toronto is anything but coincidence. They want to use him for one game to be sure

Wakefield and Beckett are fully rested from whatever pitching they do in St. Louis. If it was Bowden's turn to pitch, they'd have announced that he was being called up, and if Toronto is serious, they'd send their scouts to wherever Pawtucket plays.

On a separate note, a helluva performance from Beckett on the occasion of his 100th major league win. Complete game shutout- he'd only done it twice up until interleague play this year, and now has done it twice in the space of about three weeks. Only 95 pitches, too. He and Lester are really rolling, and Wakefield with 11 wins and Smoltz showing signs ... I feel a bit better about the second half than I did a few days ago.

Some thanks go to the Angels for that. :g

IMO

Albert is a STUD but I am rolling with Howard!

IMO

I was telling some friends yesterday that in 20 years they'll find out that Pujols was actually a cyborg! The man is a machine, cranking out 30+ HRs, 100+ RBIs, 100+ Runs scored, .320+ BA, year after year. Amazing.