MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hate the Yankees, but dang, are they ever playing some good baseball now.

...and eligible once again to win a World Series, now that a Democrat's in the White House--my pet weird theory! From 1960 on:

NY Yankees in World Series with a Republican in office: 0-5

NY Yankees in World Series with a Democrat in office: 8-2 (and 6-0 from 1977 on)

Edited by ghost of miles

Sean McAdam is reporting that the Red Sox have traded for Adam LaRoche.

I was so mad at the braves when they traded him after hitting 32 Homers, for Mike Gonzalez, but you know...it was the right trade. He is very hard to figure, a very pretty left handed swing, but its a very Loooong swing. He was one of the more vocal Pirate players about the near dismantling of the team(when Freddy Sanchez and Jack Wilson are traded, then it will be complete)

And while they have gotten some talent...and made room for players like McCutchen (sp?) I wonder with their pitching, if they had Bay and Nady(well, I guess his elbow blows out no matter what) would they be in the hunt in the NL central this year??? Everyone said they had to trade them away last year.

Anyway, will be interesting to see if LaRoche will hit like he normally does in the 2nd half(Instead of the .109 average for July this year) or not. He hasn't been in the playoff hunt since 2005....

All he will be is another guy in the mix. He plays more than they were intending to play Kotsay, but how many starts does he get a week? Maybe three, if they give Lowell a lot of time off or start sitting Ortiz (or Youkilis for that matter, which would be nothing short of stupid)? So if he's going to pick it up in the second half like he usually does, he has to do it as a part-time player. I can see this being a complete failure: Full time starter becomes part-time player in a completely new league. That's a recipe for big production? And that's ignoring that he has had such a horrible July and most of the season.

You keep thinking it has to end soon ... it can't keep going this bad much longer, can it?

But the reality is that this has only one place to end, and there can be no doubt whatsoever:

In the crapper.

On the outside looking in.

Praying that someone - anyone - will beat the Motherfucking Yankees, because you won't even have the fucking opportunity to do it.

I'm done. Finito. Enjoy the rest of the season, because the resident crank is through.

Permanently.

IF by some miracle the Rangers manage to go over .500 on your club this year, THEN you may have a legitimate gripe. [snip] But until that happens (and I'm not holding my breath, just enjoying it for as long as it lasts)

Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever imagined the Rangers taking the season series from the Red Sox.

I mean, do you realize what has happened here? Do you know what this means???

Absolutely nothing. It's still July. Nobody's running away with anything, and everything is still possible. Of course, it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if the m#&^#%$#&^%$&^@ing Angels would PLEASE start losing! :w

Suck it up, Dan. The season isn't over yet, not by a long shot. If by yet another miracle the Rangers make it to the post-season and/or the Red Sox don't make it to the post-season, then yes, you could probably point to these games as turning points in the respective seasons.

But I'm still not holding my breath. Not this early in the season. Not when your team is .585 and two games back, and mine is .559 and three games back.

And you better get your ass back in here because when the Red Sox and Rangers do start to make my life miserable (i.e. Red Sox start winning, Rangers start plummeting), if you're not in here flying into your daily rages, then you are not allowed back on the Red Sox bandwagon. There's only room for one of us here in the loser's gutter, and I've got squatter's rights! :g

I hate the Yankees, but dang, are they ever playing some good baseball now.

...and eligible once again to win a World Series, now that a Democrat's in the White House--my pet weird theory! From 1960 on:

NY Yankees in World Series with a Republican in office: 0-5

NY Yankees in World Series with a Democrat in office: 8-2 (and 6-0 from 1977 on)

Well, now you know why I've voted Republican all these years. And you thought it was simply because I'm a boring, stodgy old conservative! :P:g

The Sox completed the deal to send Lugo to the Cards for Chris Duncan....why would they want Duncan?

From St. Louis newspaper:

"Bernie Miklasz confirmed that the Red Sox will still be responsible for the remaining $13.5 million on Lugo’s contract. It’s expected that Duncan, 27, will be assigned to Pawtucket."

Edited by zen archer

You keep thinking it has to end soon ... it can't keep going this bad much longer, can it?

But the reality is that this has only one place to end, and there can be no doubt whatsoever:

In the crapper.

On the outside looking in.

Praying that someone - anyone - will beat the Motherfucking Yankees, because you won't even have the fucking opportunity to do it.

I'm done. Finito. Enjoy the rest of the season, because the resident crank is through.

Permanently.

Dan, come on bro, step back from the ledge! I only wished my teams that I've followed over the years had anything close to the success that Boston's enjoyed. Welcome to the slums of mediocre baseball where most of us have lived for years, and years, and years, and years.....

All I gotta say is, BJ Upton plays too shallow in CF!!! He doesn't cover as much ground as people give him credit for, and invariably, when he does have to back up on a ball, he's twisting and turning and spinning all over the place to try to find it. ... They ruled it a triple, but he should have had that.

Mark Buehrle pitches a perfect game vs TB

Yowsa! And to think they were looking to trade him. He's thrown a "regular" no-hitter before as well so he's in some interesting company. Like Steve Busby. ^_^ (No perfect for Steve, but 2 no hitters.)

When I was a kid the answer to the trivia question "Who threw the last perfect game?" was always Catfish Hunter. This worked from age 5 (1968, before I knew what a perfect game was) until just about when I graduated from high school when Len Barker threw his in '81. There have been 9 since Catfish threw one.

Looks like the driest spell for a perfect game was between the last time a ChiSox threw one in 1922 until Larsen's in the World Series of 1956.

While a totally different and more difficult thing to do, maybe we're getting closer to someone taking on DiMaggio's hitting streak.

...and a great catch by center fielder DeWayne Wise in the 9th inning to save a hit/homerun.... he had just entered the game for defensive purposes...what a catch!

m

Ha! Way to go Ozzie, genius manager! :)

Yowsa! And to think they were looking to trade him. He's thrown a "regular" no-hitter before as well so he's in some interesting company. Like Steve Busby. ^_^ (No perfect for Steve, but 2 no hitters.)

Hey, why no love for Bob Forsch??? :huh: He had 2 no-no's and he didn't exactly have Nolan Ryan's fastball either! ^_^

...and a great catch by center fielder DeWayne Wise in the 9th inning to save a hit/homerun.... he had just entered the game for defensive purposes...what a catch!

m

My favorite highlight from yesterday(Well, next to the catch itself) was the reaction of the Phillies clubhouse after the catch...cameraman caught them hopping, and hollering, so excited, very cool!

I might go to the Pirates vs D-Backs tonight

Hope you can get still get tickets this late! :excited:

Edited by BERIGAN

Hey, why no love for Bob Forsch??? :huh: He had 2 no-no's and he didn't exactly have Nolan Ryan's fastball either! ^_^

I knew you'd catch me on that one. ;) As I recall one of them should have an * next to it when what sure looked like a hit was ruled an error. I'm pretty sure it involved The Zamboni Machine. :) (Ah yes, April 16, 1978 has an E - Reitz.) Bill Stoneman of the Expos (hey, we live '70s baseball here :)) had 2 no hitters as well.

...the Cards pick up Matt Holliday from the A's for several prospects....will be a pretty nice improvement over Duncan!

m

m

My favorite highlight from yesterday(Well, next to the catch itself) was the reaction of the Phillies clubhouse after the catch...cameraman caught them hopping, and hollering, so excited, very cool!

I might go to the Pirates vs D-Backs tonight

Hope you can get still get tickets this late! :excited:

...loved Bob Forsch back in the day! Probably saw him pitch a dozen times.

m