MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, so glad to get out of the Metrodome! That place has the most passionate, relentless fans...they just don't give up. And Pavano was nearly unhittable for the first 6 innings. Glad NY had Pettite tonight...and that A-Rod continues his postseason morphing into Reggie Jackson or some such. I have a feeling that the ALCS is going to be an epic 6-7 game struggle. Some concerns: seemed like NY's offensive production beyond Jeter and A-Rod was a little spotty, esp. at the top of the line-up (Damon and Teixeira, although Tex did nail a couple of clutch hits in Game 2...Damon struck out four times tonight). Also, Phil Hughes has looked very shaky so far.

Still, great to finally advance past the first round to the ALCS again. CC's going to end up with an awful lot of rest before his next start.

Congrats to the Twins and their fans on an incredible season. A rather nailbiting sweep from my perspective, in part because MN had shown such mettle and been on quite a roll over the past month.

Edited by ghost of miles

Doesn't appear to have updated w/tonight's game yet, but the NY site stats seem to bear me out:

NY playoff hitting stats

... and w/tonight's game Posada joins A-Rod and Jeter to form NY's Big Three for the first round. (With key cameos from Matsui, Swisher, and Teixeira.) Three hot hitters might be enough, but I sure hope Damon & some of the others start hitting more consistently against the Angels.

Edited by ghost of miles

Denver weather: 29!! Who came up with the idea of playing a game @ 8:00 p.m.? Brilliant.

I have more of a bitch about that, than the fact it's super cold on the 12th of October. It's a freak cold weather spell. Can't blame Bud for that. IF somehow the Rockies got into the W.S. and it's snowing in Nov., then I bitch about it.

And to Ghost, and all other evil empire lovers, congrats on getting to the ALCS. A lot of talented Yankee teams haven't gotten very far recently...this team seems different.

Dodgers Yankees would be ok, but I honestly think Phils Yankees would be the best series.....Will the Phils winning of course! ^_^

The umping in this years post season has been gawd awful to say the least. Last night's, or in the East this morning's(thanks Bud), 9th inning blunder may have been the worst yet. Utley fouled a pitch off of his leg which replays showed hit his leg and then he was called safe at first when the ball clearly beat him, though Helton's leg may have come off the bag a little early. I would be super pissed if I were a Rockies fan. MLB has to do two things. 1. Expand instant replay. These games are too important to have a blown call being a deciding factor. 2. Stop the rotating ump shit. Let only the best umps work the post-season. What are Chuck Merriweather, Cowboy Joe West, et al. doing in the playoffs??

Edited by J.H. Deeley

The umping in this years post season has been gawd awful to say the least. Last night's, or in the East this morning's(thanks Bud), 9th inning blunder may have been the worst yet. Utley fouled a pitch off of his leg which replays showed hit his leg and then he was called safe at first when the ball clearly beat him, though Helton's leg may have come off the bag a little early. I would be super pissed if I were a Rockies fan. MLB has to do two things. 1. Expand instant replay. These games are too important to have a blown call being a deciding factor. 2. Stop the rotating ump shit. Let only the best umps work the post-season. What are Chuck Merriweather, Cowboy Joe West, et al. doing in the playoffs??

After seeing another angle of the play at first on the local TV coverage I have to say that the 1st base ump got that call right. Helton left the bag early to avoid getting steamrolled by Utley. However, that still doesn't make up for the blown call by the home plate ump that started the play.

I'm not a Red Sox fan, but I hope that Papelbon is able to take yesterday's game as just a loss and not turn it into a career changer. He's a very good closer - potential to be a great one - and I hope he's able to keep his head on straight. Also hope the Red Sox fans will be behind him. It's to their advantage to do so.

Where's Dan?

Hopefully writing to Red Sox ownership and management to thank them for best decade of baseball of his life with six post season appearances and two world championships. Everybody should be as lucky as Red Sox fans.

Congrats to the Angels, what a year for them. from the Andehart tragedy to them being 500 at the end of May, starting rotation in taters for most of the year, Vlad and Tori both with long stints on the DL and they overcame it all. Mike Scioscia = the best manager in all of baseball.

Also congrats to the Yankees and the transformation of A-Rod. I know everybody hates the guy but after the injury and roids controversy he came back, kept his mouth shut and was a team player all season. To come up big in the post season with all of the baggage he carried going in deserves some props imo.

I'm not a Red Sox fan, but I hope that Papelbon is able to take yesterday's game as just a loss and not turn it into a career changer. He's a very good closer - potential to be a great one - and I hope he's able to keep his head on straight. Also hope the Red Sox fans will be behind him. It's to their advantage to do so.

Well yesterday during the post game show on NESN Jerry Remy wanted to know why Papelbon abandoned the split finger fastball ?

Also Lou Merloni echoed the same sentiment on a late night sports show.

This does beg the question as to why he doesn't throw the splitter any more?.....He needs another pitch and he used to throw the splitter. He is not gonna be a great closer if he doesn't have an out pitch. Like Bard who throws 100 MPH and then comes in with an 83 MPH change up.

Remy said only one Closer in the Major Leagues can get away with one pitch and we know who that is ......Mo Rivera.

Also congrats to the Yankees and the transformation of A-Rod. I know everybody hates the guy but after the injury and roids controversy he came back, kept his mouth shut and was a team player all season. To come up big in the post season with all of the baggage he carried going in deserves some props imo.

Fuck A-rod!

Signed: a disgruntled Mariner fan with a good memory.

And WorldB3, I keep forgetting to mention this, but a week or two ago, Peter Gammons talking about the A's and how really good they should get very soon....tons of talent about ready to burst on the scene(and clearly some of the great pitching is already there). Now...if they can only find a way to keep it for more than 2-3 years....

Edited by BERIGAN

And WorldB3, I keep forgetting to mention this, but a week or two ago, Peter Gammons talking about the A's and how really good they should get very soon....tons of talent about ready to burst on the scene(and clearly some of the great pitching is already there). Now...if they can only find a way to keep it for more than 2-3 years....

A lot of that great young talend came courtesy of the failed Mark Mulder trade (either directly from the Cards or indirectly from the D-Backs from the Haren trade) and this year's Matt Holliday trade. I hope we can resign Holliday... we gave up our best hitting prospect, Brett Wallace, for a shot at the Series and ended up with a big giant THUD instead.

I think whoever wins the Angles vs. Yankee series, will win it all. That's going to be a great series.

Agreed ......Go Angels !

I seem to recall talk like this, last year after the Rays beat the Red Sox! :P

The Rays got nothing on the Angels.

Apples and oranges.

Please.

No they won't.

Just as soon as a player gets good they trade him. The A's could give a shit about actually holding on to a player and, oh dare I say it, maybe win a game or 162.

It's all about the money with these guys.

The A's management sucks and any pretend comparison to the Giants rivalry with the hated Dodgers via these same A's fans is total bullshit. They don't know diddly shit about rivarlies in the National League.

They just trade good players for money then pretend they know something about the REAL tradition across The Bay.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Where's Dan?

Probably cussing out a fellow employee, his neighbor or some other unsuspecting bystander.

Not sure we're going to hear from Dan for awhile. At least on this thread. The kind of Red Sox meltdown we all just witnessed is the sort of thing that would require major decompression for someone whose as big a fan as he is. Add to that the fact that he may be unhappy about being censored by the moderators on a couple of occasions over the last week and we might be seeing the start of a lengthly hiatus.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James