MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exciting playoff baseball in flyover country!!! Solid start from Cliff Lee, but then the bullpens...oy!

And in other news, Theo Epstein has granted permission for the Indians to talk to John Farrell about managing the Tribe. Still considered a super longshot. Indians did not request permission to speak to bench coach Brad Mills. Other rumored names are Bobby Valentine and Mike Hargrove. Shapiro wants a new manager in place by the time the World Series ends. We shall see.

Where's Dan?

Probably cussing out a fellow employee, his neighbor or some other unsuspecting bystander.

Not sure we're going to hear from Dan for awhile. At least on this thread. The kind of Red Sox meltdown we all just witnessed is the sort of thing that would require major decompression for someone whose as big a fan as he is. Add to that the fact that he may be unhappy about being censored by the moderators on a couple of occasions over the last week and we might be seeing the start of a lengthly hiatus.

Up over and out.

Well, GEEZ.

Dan must hold the Organissimo record on the sheer weight and number of F-bombs he has dropped on this forum.

The guy seriously needs to dial it back at bit.

Go Phils! :D

Edited by GoodSpeak

Thanks Berigan, I will look for that Gammons article.

Speaking of ex A's that was the Houston Street I remembered in the big games. Great kid and all, he bounced back from the 06 playoffs and he will come back from tonight but its becoming a habit for him.

Phillies - Dodgers will be a good one, two great line ups. Pitching will decide it.

Edited by WorldB3

BTW, I went to the Mariners final game of the season last week and watched Felix Hernandez get his 19th win. This kid is something special. I believe he should get the Cy Young. Some think that other kid from Kansas City should get it, but with or without him, the Royals would have still sucked. Without Felix the Mariners would not have been the bounce-back story of the year.

Edited by Johnny E

Also congrats to the Yankees and the transformation of A-Rod. I know everybody hates the guy but after the injury and roids controversy he came back, kept his mouth shut and was a team player all season. To come up big in the post season with all of the baggage he carried going in deserves some props imo.

Fuck A-rod!

Signed: a disgruntled Mariner fan with a good memory.

AND Teixeiria.

Signed: a disgruntled Rangers fan who's tired of seeing history repeat itself on a regular basis.

BTW, I went to the Mariners final game of the season last week and watched Felix Hernandez get his 19th win. This kid is something special. I believe he should get the Cy Young. Some think that other kid from Kansas City should get it, but with or without him, the Royals would have still sucked. Without Felix the Mariners would not have been the bounce-back story of the year.

There are rumors here in Boston that the Sox are going to make a hard push for a trade to get King Felix!!!

AND Teixeiria.

Signed: a disgruntled Rangers fan who's tired of seeing history repeat itself on a regular basis.

Hey Texas had their chance this year with the way the Angels played coming out of the gate, they didn't even break 500 till almost June I think.

Good year for the Rangers, I think everybody in the AL West will be better next year.

There are rumors here in Boston that the Sox are going to make a hard push for a trade to get King Felix!!!

Really? The Red Sox better start by offering Beckett, Pedroia and a top draft pick. And even then it's not worth it. Felix is the real deal and he's only 23.

Really? The Red Sox better start by offering Beckett, Pedroia and a top draft pick. And even then it's not worth it. Felix is the real deal and he's only 23.

Well I think they might offer Bucholz, Youk ,Bowden ....that might get the deal done . Some of the media guys including

Merloni think that the Sox might not want to give Beckett a big deal because the last 2 years he has had these nagging injuries late in the season.

His best year was 07 and that came with a month off in the middle of the season.

Phillies - Dodgers will be a good one, two great line ups. Pitching will decide it.

Doesn't it always? In the playoffs especially.

Gee, and I always thought it was hitting that decides it, but everyone says pitching. ^_^

Buck Martinez said something interesting during whatever series he was doing...that basically hitters get tired down the stretch(no, that's not what's interesting) and basically bats get heavier, slower...Doesn't seem to be true against the closers so far, but adreinalin and big crowds may have something to do with that. I sure saw a lot of guys miss 91-92 MPH pitches that seemed right down the middle, earlier in games.

Well I think they might offer Bucholz, Youk ,Bowden ....that might get the deal done . Some of the media guys including

Merloni think that the Sox might not want to give Beckett a big deal because the last 2 years he has had these nagging injuries late in the season.

His best year was 07 and that came with a month off in the middle of the season.

Didn't we hear this talk just a few months ago, about the big deal that didn't happen??? I think the Mariners would regret it, no matter who they(Sox) gave up. You don't give up #1 starters like him, at his age.

And if the Red Sox want to compete next year(Baltimore is going to be a lot better in 2010) Giving up Youk, plus not knowing what they will get from Ortiz, or if they will re-sign Bay... they will turn into the Braves of 2009. A team with as good a starting rotation as anyone, and nothing to show for it.

Edited by BERIGAN

How much longer is Felix under contract ??? I don't think Seattle has the resources to keep him there longer than that.

Baseball really needs a salary cap.

Maybe not a salary cap but something more like revenue sharing similar to the NFL. The Yankees should benefit from their location and the prices they can charge for luxury boxes. The Red Sox should benefit that their fans sell out the entire season before opening day. BUT its not fair that the Yankees and the Red Sox get 200 to 300 million in cable and TV revenue where the Royals, Mariners, Pirates etc get a 10th of that. If the Yankees or Red Sox played 162 inter-squad games on TV they wouldn't be getting the same cable revenue so it makes sense that the other teams get some of that.

How much longer is Felix under contract ??? I don't think Seattle has the resources to keep him there longer than that.

Baseball really needs a salary cap.

They're a wealthy team, or at least before Oct. 2008. They set the record (I'm guessing) for most money spent per loss just the year before. True the big 2 from the AL East spend more, but unless something drastic has happened I think they could resign him. It's just whether the bright lights of a bigger city appeal to him.

Too long between games - almost like waiting for the Superbowl. Even worse than that, since i usually don't care much about the Superbowl.

Yeah, I wondering about that, too.

Since when did they start doing an arbtrary waiting period? Ususally, they start the next series a day after the previous one.

And am I missing something or have they gone from a seven game NLCS/ALCS to a five game NLCS/ALCS?

Weird.

Where's Dan?

Hopefully writing to Red Sox ownership and management to thank them for best decade of baseball of his life with six post season appearances and two world championships. Everybody should be as lucky as Red Sox fans.

Congrats to the Angels, what a year for them. from the Andehart tragedy to them being 500 at the end of May, starting rotation in taters for most of the year, Vlad and Tori both with long stints on the DL and they overcame it all. Mike Scioscia = the best manager in all of baseball.

Also congrats to the Yankees and the transformation of A-Rod. I know everybody hates the guy but after the injury and roids controversy he came back, kept his mouth shut and was a team player all season. To come up big in the post season with all of the baggage he carried going in deserves some props imo.

I'll second that.

There's good stories with each team in the playoffs- this is the first time in awhile I'm excited to watch both series.

I have a DVR with Directv and XM radio- so I pause the TV enought to sinc (sp?) it with the radio broadcast- I'll watch the Phillies game with the Phillies announcers. I did this for the Twins-Tigers playoff game- listening to the Twins broadcast- very exciting!

And I love listening to Vin Scully calling Dodger games- I'll do that one game against the Phillies.

However I can't stand listening to the Yankees broadcasters- John Sterling and that female announcer who's horrible- "Oh My Goodness Gracious!!"

Too long between games - almost like waiting for the Superbowl. Even worse than that, since i usually don't care much about the Superbowl.

Yeah, I wondering about that, too.

Since when did they start doing an arbtrary waiting period? Ususally, they start the next series a day after the previous one.

And am I missing something or have they gone from a seven game NLCS/ALCS to a five game NLCS/ALCS?

Weird.

It's not an arbitrary waiting period, everyone save the Phils wrapped it up in 3 games, they could have gone 5. And there could have been a snowout again! ;) I don't think they could push up the start dates with people already planning to fly, drive to games, with hotel reservations in place...

Nope, still 7 days, but you likely just clicked on the 15th thru the 21st part of the schedule.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/schedule/_/date/20091022

There's good stories with each team in the playoffs- this is the first time in awhile I'm excited to watch both series.

I have a DVR with Directv and XM radio- so I pause the TV enought to sinc (sp?) it with the radio broadcast- I'll watch the Phillies game with the Phillies announcers. I did this for the Twins-Tigers playoff game- listening to the Twins broadcast- very exciting!

And I love listening to Vin Scully calling Dodger games- I'll do that one game against the Phillies.

However I can't stand listening to the Yankees broadcasters- John Sterling and that female announcer who's horrible- "Oh My Goodness Gracious!!"

Yeah, I heard Sterling and her once while out one night...just once...and I am still scarred from it! ;) he didn't seem so bad when he did Braves games, but back then the braves sucked.....

Yeah, I heard Sterling and her once while out one night...just once...and I am still scarred from it! ;) he didn't seem so bad when he did Braves games, but back then the braves sucked.....

I'm a Yankee fan and Sterling &Suzyn Waldman are HORRIBLE!!!! One local writer here calls them 'Ma & Pa Pinstripe'.

It's not an arbitrary waiting period, everyone save the Phils wrapped it up in 3 games, they could have gone 5. And there could have been a snowout again! ;) I don't think they could push up the start dates with people already planning to fly, drive to games, with hotel reservations in place...

Yup, if you check out Baseball Reference and look at the "good ole days" of say 1969-70 you can see that despite LCS sweeps they waited 5 days start the World Series on a Saturday. Ah...back when baseball wasn't afraid of college football. :rolleyes:

I'm feeling nostalgic for 1978 as it's the 2nd year of Phils-Dodgers, and like then the Yanks are facing a consistently good West team. Plenty of differences otherwise, but the laundry is the similar. :)