• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From Slate:

Geezers win! Geezers win!

They are a very old team--that's why this championship feels very different from the 1996-2000 titles...much more like a last hurrah, at least for the old guard of Jeter and company.

If Philadelphia picks up another decent starter in the offseason, I'll give them very good odds of taking back the title from the Yanks or whoever else the AL ends up sending to the WS in 2010.

From Slate:

Geezers win! Geezers win!

They are a very old team--that's why this championship feels very different from the 1996-2000 titles...much more like a last hurrah, at least for the old guard of Jeter and company.

If Philadelphia picks up another decent starter in the offseason, I'll give them very good odds of taking back the title from the Yanks or whoever else the AL ends up sending to the WS in 2010.

I hope it's the last Hurrah !!!!!........how old is Rivera, 85? at some point he has to lose it.

I agree, the Phillies are loaded, not sure if any big names will be leaving but they are the team to beat going into next year at least in the NL.

Congrats to the Yankees.

Gotta say seeing Texiria with ski goggles in locker room celebration was very-very weak. Dude, you just won the WS get some damn champagne and beer in yours eyes and enjoy the sting, its not like you have to hit tomorrow.

Bittersweet feelings about the Yankee victory. I've been a Yankee fan since 1969 (waited until Mantle retired - I was always a Willie Mays fan & couldn't stand Mantle), and have been there through good and bad years since then. I lost my passion for watching baseball over the past couple of years with the emerging steroid/hgh/etc. scandals. The A-Rod thing this spring plus the news that 200 (or whatever) unnamed players also tested positive several years ago just turned me off to the game. I felt, whom can you trust not to be using? I didn't watch many games this season until early August, and then caught the fever to a degree.

I wasn't going to watch game six last night, but my wife (who has little interest in baseball) said that I had to watch & she turned the game on. I watched a few innings, turned off the set in the middle of the fifth and went to sleep. When I woke up this morning I wasn't going to turn the TV on to see who won, but I finally did. I'm happy that the Yankees won, but I know their winning won't make a real difference in my life. I guess I've lost a lot of my passion for the game. I wonder if it will ever return.

MartyJazz, Dave, other NY fans--did the Yankees exorcise the demons of 2004 tonight? I feel like they did. And 2001, to some extent, as well... that meltdown at the end of Game 7, after the incredible 9th-inning home runs in Games 4 and 5, all coming in the weeks after 9/11 (I'd say those HRs in my top 5 of all-time incredible baseball moments, emotionally enhanced considerably by the atmosphere of the city and the crowds at Yankee Stadium) always felt like a sad, wrong ending for the O'Neill/Cone/Brosius era. Even if Pettitte/Jeter et al never win another championship, I feel as if they've finally put the right punctuation mark on the story of their careers. And with that said...

I'm not sure anything can ever erase the stain of 2004. The Babe Ruth Red Sox jinx was just plain fun. Now all we have are the Cubbies and the curse of the goat. That just doesn't have the same heft. The seventh game in '04 just killed me. Once the Sox had tied the series, it was like trying to stop the sun from rising in the East. You knew what was coming and there wasn't anything you could do about it. Tremendous bummer and in its own way not unlike 2001, when the Yanks really let one get away. There is still a dent in our coffee table, the one I hit with my fist when that dying quail went out over second base in the bottom of the 9th. I agree, the Martinez and Brosius home runs in that Series, along with the Jim Leyritz 15th inning shot against the Mariners in the ALCS, remain in my top ten baseball moments. It would just have been nice if our boys could have crossed the T.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

I agree, the Martinez and Brosius home runs in that Series, along with the Jim Leyritz 15th inning shot against the Mariners in the ALCS, remain in my top ten baseball moments.

I was helping my dad move back from Austin, Texas to Indiana the night of that ALDS game against the Mariners, Dave. We were driving a rental truck and listening to the game on the radio...kept losing the signal, then picking it up again...and the game just went on and on, while my dad and I listened to it and talked together in the darkness of the cab. One of my most amazing baseball radio experiences. (I still love listening to a game, any old baseball game, on the radio--a wonderful medium for the sport.)

Edited by ghost of miles

I agree, the Phillies are loaded, not sure if any big names will be leaving but they are the team to beat going into next year at least in the NL.

A lot of people were saying that the Phillies didn't hit and that lost them the series but I think the Yankee pitching was better than what the Phillies had. If the Phillies keep Lee and get Hamels back to what he was in 2008 with that lineup they could be back in the WS next year.

I became a Yankee fan in '64, I was 8 years old and starting to get interested in baseball. In Brooklyn you picked a team and you were expected to stick with them for life. The Yankees were going to the WS in '64 and the Mets were a buch of losers, lovable and comical, but that didn't go far for an 8 year old. So the Yanks make the WS and lose to the Cards(Gibson, Ken Boyer, etc) and I was disappointed but hopeful for next year. Of course, after '64 they started a string of 9th place finishes in a 10 team league! I learned quite a bit about loyalty and sticking with it that became valuable as I got older. '76/'77 were wonderful for me, at 20 & 21 I was backing the champs, and '81 was quite disappointing, and then came a long slide with good offensive teams and no pitching and then total stinkdom(Stump Merrill, anyone?). The teams from '94 on have been great to enjoy, and this year has been especially great, if Matsui is done as a Yankee he went out in grand style and I LOOOOVE Sabathia, and the core four have one for the tail end of their careers.

Tomorow is the parade, and when I get off the subway in lower Manhattan around 7:00 to go to NJ for work I'm sure they'll be lots of people already there to get a good spot for the parade. Sometimes baseball and the hoopla is a welcome diversion from life.

I never buy into the complaints about how much money athletes make. The athletes make what the owners can afford to pay them. The problem in MLB is not the fault of the Yankees but the fault of the league for allowing for the amount disparity between what teams are allowed to spend.

However, the teams which pay the most have fanatical fan bases who pack the stadium all season long. They sell merchandise up the wazoo. They charge exorbitant amounts for admission and concessions and fans fork over the cash.

In a single season the lowest-paid baseball players make more than I do in five to ten years. They've all got a marketable gift that I don't.

Ultimately, the financial situation isn't on my mind when I watch what happens on the field of play. It didn't make Johnny Damon's clutch at bat and baserunning any less exciting to me. It didn't make Chase Utley's homeruns any less historic. It doesn't affect the fact that Derek Jeter is one of the best baseball players I've watched play.

As I say good bye to the 2009 baseball season, first of all -- THANK YOU to the Seattle Mariners for a great and enjoyable season, it was a fun ride. So here's to the Mariners:

158-FunkBlast.JPG

To the World Champions New York Yankees: Each and every day of my life, until the end, when I'm hooked up to every tube that I can think of, with each weaker and weaker breath, with no regret, with all the passion I can muster, for ever and always:

yankeessuck1.jpg

On to the Hot Stove thread!

With no dogs in the race, it was a good series to watch.

That's pretty much how I saw it.

I have to say I guess I'm a bit of a reformed Yankee-hater at this point. Their play on the field was fun to watch. I enjoy watching talented teams perform well. There were certainly some holes in the Yankee offense, and some holes in the Philly offense and pitching. But overall, I enjoyed the whole shee-bang.

Philly should hold its head high, too. Playing in two straight is a great sign for their future.

Hey, I was onto this long before NY Observer's Jonathan Rosenthal in 2003! ^_^

The curse of Nixon

...still holding true!

So, with all the Yankee WS victories there are, they haven't won one with a Republican president since 1958 when Ike was Prez. Since then, they've appeared in 16 World Series and are 9-2 with a Dem prez and 0-5 with a Repub in power. What the article doesn't point out is that in the last half century of WS history, the Yanks appeared in 11 of the 21 years (52% occurrence) there was a Dem prez and only 5 of the 29 years (17%) there was a Repub administration. Amazing statistics that in all probability mean nothing.

Edited by MartyJazz

Hey, I was onto this long before NY Observer's Jonathan Rosenthal in 2003! ^_^

The curse of Nixon

...still holding true!

So, with all the Yankee WS victories there are, they haven't won one with a Republican president since 1958 when Ike was Prez. Since then, they've appeared in 16 World Series and are 9-2 with a Dem prez and 0-5 with a Repub in power. What the article doesn't point out is that in the last half century of WS history, the Yanks appeared in 11 of the 21 years (52% occurrence) there was a Dem prez and only 5 of the 29 years (17%) there was a Repub administration. Amazing statistics that in all probability mean nothing.

Of course it means something--it's the Curse of Nixon! :ph34r:^_^

Another really nice quote from A-Rod in the Times today--a reprise of what he said the other day, but I love it that he feels this way:

While the parade was special, Rodriguez, like some of the cold and eager fans, was already aching for more baseball.

“I wish we could just continue to play,” Rodriguez said. “Just show up and play for no reason. We have such a good group of guys. You know. No umpires, no scores. Just show up and have fun, like a softball game.”

...part of what made NY such a fun and likable team to watch this year...I hope they can somehow retain that chemistry for at least another year, whether they end up winning one more title or not.

NY, All Along Broadway