MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A great relief to finally get things going - I have such great hopes for the Red Sox pitching staff, I can't wait to see if they live up to the promise - but right now I have a bad feeling that the weather is going to screw up the Red Sox-Rays and the Yankee opener too. Nothing like having to wait an extra day ... :excited:

But everyone should know that Extra Innings is doing their free preview week, Monday through Sunday, so if you're local team isn't on, you can still catch them. Should mean that if Monday's opener is postponed to Tuesday, I should catch the NESN broadcast.

And there goes the first homer at the launching pad that is Citizen's Bank park. That park is so small, they get out of there in a hurry.

Did you see how gigantic Winfield looked in the pregame broadcast? The guy is practically a giant. Either that, or Kruk is a lot smaller than I thought.

I saw that at the end of the broadcast and thought that those other guys must be tiny. I just checked and I remembered correctly - Winfield is 6'6". I figured the other guys were tiny but Winfield looked like Andre The Giant next to them. And Kruk is 5'10" so he is a bit shorter than I thought, too.

It almost looks like a summer evening up there. Nice.

Did you see how gigantic Winfield looked in the pregame broadcast? The guy is practically a giant. Either that, or Kruk is a lot smaller than I thought.

Nice to have baseball under way again.

:tup

Speaking of Kruk, did I hear right? He has Cleveland going to the World Series against the Mets? I don't see how in the world that's going to happen at all.

I do believe that the Dodgers are going to miss Derek Lowe and the Braves will be glad they have him.

Not sure about that by the time his contract runs out, but right now, this year - the Braves will be better for getting that done. And the Dodgers will be worse for letting him walk.

Of course, in 2005, the Mets looked like geniuses for getting Pedro, and some questioned whether the Red Sox should have let him go, and by the end of Pedro's contract, it was just another feather in Theo's cap that he set his price/years on Pedro and then walked away.

Only took about 6 minutes to put a smile on my face this year -- McCann is on my fantasy squad. :D

Man, is it good to have the game back! Lowe was unconscious last night. Unfortunately, Booby [sic] still has learned nothing about when to let a guy pitch. His pitch count was ridiculously low and the Phillies could not solve him. That's just dumb.

why do they start the season so early? I love baseball, but the season is just too long. It shouldn't start until late April or even May. It's snowing here today, also in Chicago, I think Cincinnati is also getting snow.....just dump the foolish interleague games and cut the season down a bit and it would be almost perfect!

I could care less about a few games lost to snow, or showery April weather messing with the schedule. I'm not sitting in the stands having paid to witness those games - I'm sitting on the couch watching BASEBALL and I wouldn't sacrifice a single game of the season in order to get started when the weather is perfect. The weather is good enough -

PLAY BALL!

I have serious doubts about the Dodgers' pitching rotation this year. They brought back all the bats they could, but they let a lot of arms slip away.

I feel the same, I don't know why more people are not talking the DBacks. Solid rotation with Webb, Haren at the front, young guys who can play and are getting better.

For some reason this year is harder to predict then others because of the economy and so many teams already out of the running there will be some massive fire sales come the end of May, Seattle and Detroit come to mind right away.

Not to give Big Al a heart attack but I like the Rangers to take the AL West but hoefully my A's will make them work for it. Last year was flat out depressing watching the A's.

ahh. best sports day of year with opening day and the NCAA final.

Still wondering how Howard could take a 3-2 fastball, right down the middle. How can you look for anything else but a fastball in that situation?

He got cute out-thinking himself. Lowe gets in his head, and that was obvious from the first pitch he saw. I just hope he has a short memory, because he hit the shit out of the ball all spring (and he's my 1B in fantasy).

CC Sabathia does not look good, in fact, he looks out right bad today. I really don't think CC will be winning 20 games this year.

Well, I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. No life on his fastball, little command, as even Morgan was saying, few swings and misses, with a surprising lack of velocity. But it takes more than one bad start to draw conclusions. If healthy, he ought to pitch well enough and get enough support to win 20. But all bets are off if those league leading innings and pitches are going to catch up to him this season.

I was really scared there that the Yankees would still come away with a win, but all is right with the world now. Sabathia has one of his worst starts of his career (last time he had 0 strikeouts was in 2005 against Oakland, he went less than three and gave up 8 runs, he's had a start with no K's only five times in his career) and the Yankee bullpen blew it up, with supposedly key arms like Bruney and Marte stinking it up. Heck, we even got a Jeffrey Meier Special, only this time it went against the Yanks and in favor of the O's. :g

And again.

And AGAIN.

Conrad's gotta be happy, and our Philly friends must be pissed. Not the way Myers was supposed to start the season (although he wasn't supposed to start the season anyway).

I was, I was! :excited: But, I only saw them as highlights, who expects all that action early on??? I thought I could eat and get back in time for a 1-1 game in the 4th...

Still wondering how Howard could take a 3-2 fastball, right down the middle. How can you look for anything else but a fastball in that situation?

He got cute out-thinking himself. Lowe gets in his head, and that was obvious from the first pitch he saw. I just hope he has a short memory, because he hit the shit out of the ball all spring (and he's my 1B in fantasy).

Wasn't it against Mike Gonzalez though??? He threw a ton of sliders to him, and more and more pitchers will throw something offspeed even with a full count.