MLB 2009 Season

Remember guys, CC had a terrible April last year. 1-4, 7.76 ERA.

Yes, Sabathia is (in)famous for getting off to slow starts. More important question to me is how many extra pounds is he carrying (if any). That might get him one of those abdominal strains that will shelve him for a few weeks. Otherwise, enjoy this one, but don't draw any conclusions for another 4-6 weeks. He doesn't have to win every single one for NYY to get their money'$ worth.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, Sabathia is (in)famous for getting off to slow starts. More important question to me is how many extra pounds is he carrying (if any). That might get him one of those abdominal strains that will shelve him for a few weeks.

What was up with the heating pad wrapped around his belly while he was on the bench? Just a way to stay warm or could it be a muscle he was trying to keep loose? Don't they set up heaters in the dugout so that guys don't have to put heating pads inside their jackets?

I expect Sabathia to pitch well this year but I also have to wonder about his weight and the effect of all those innings and pitches the last two seasons.

How pathetic! I'm actually looking forward to watching a Mariner game. *Sigh* Wish I was back in Washington and not stuck here in Los Angeles. :(

Hey, nice game by the Mariners tonight, Felix Hernandez was lights out. Mariners have the best record in baseball now... ;)

How pathetic! I'm actually looking forward to watching a Mariner game. *Sigh* Wish I was back in Washington and not stuck here in Los Angeles. :(

Hey, nice game by the Mariners tonight, Felix Hernandez was lights out. Mariners have the best record in baseball now... ;)

And Griffey homers! He's got just a bit o' paunch compared to photos from too many years ago when he was last in a Mariner's uniform. The sight of him in that uni makes me feel younger so I like it! I love how spring fever can throw out all rationality. I mean with Angels elderly OF and injuries to their pitching staff, and the Rangers always have terrible pitching, and maybe injuries will hit the A's hard, so the M's with their improved defense, and Jr. helping to create better dugout chemistry by deflecting the bad feelings about Ichiro, maybe...

Yes, sentence structure goes out the window too! :crazy:

I'm going to enjoy first place while it lasts, and sure love having baseball back!

And Griffey homers! He's got just a bit o' paunch compared to photos from too many years ago when he was last in a Mariner's uniform. The sight of him in that uni makes me feel younger so I like it! I love how spring fever can throw out all rationality. I mean with Angels elderly OF and injuries to their pitching staff, and the Rangers always have terrible pitching, and maybe injuries will hit the A's hard, so the M's with their improved defense, and Jr. helping to create better dugout chemistry by deflecting the bad feelings about Ichiro, maybe...

Yes, sentence structure goes out the window too! :crazy:

I'm going to enjoy first place while it lasts, and sure love having baseball back!

Griffey deserves one of these:

158-FunkBlast.JPG

Well I may be mighty pissed off here in about an hour if it turns out Extra Innings doesn't show a feed from the delayed opening day for the Sox-Rays. I'm not seeing it on my Comcast guide channel, but you know NESN is doing the broadcast, planned or not, so how could they not?

I guess I'll just have to wait with baited breath. There's always that MLB.com animated thingie I guess. :unsure:

Goodspeak can't be happy right now: Tim Lincecum lasted only three innings and look as good as CC looked yesterday. He really needs to work on holding runners on base, the Brewers ran wild on him.

Took him out after 78 pitches? That is weak. I know you don't want to stress the arm of you franchise player on the first game of the year but...

Well, this is going about as well as could be hoped - Beckett has cruised, and when pushed (second and third, no out) shut them down while Shields has gotten hammered, the final blow a homer by of all people, Varitek. He hit five out in the spring, so I had some hopes that his bat would come around from the left side, and he hit two balls on the nose his first two at-bats. Gotta be happy with a homer on Opening Day.

I don't know about where you are Dan, but the NESN HD feed looks like sh!t here through TWC. If I *were* on the fence about buying the ticket, this wouldn't push me over. I'll settle for WGN, ESPN, and FOX.

Still, I'm glad to have caught my NL team's opening day yesterday, and my AL team's opening day today.

Exactly. I'm not going to hit the panic button on CC based on a crappy April outing. Truth be told, the bullpen blowing NY's bid to take the game back bothered me more.

A ghost sighting in the a baseball thread! :rhappy: thought you had forgotten about the game!

OH MY GOSH!!!

The Mariners absolutely, totally, completely, screwed it up so bad and lost the game. It's way too early to go through a loss like that. I can't even describe it, but I'll put it this way: Bottom of the 9th, Ms ahead 5-3, two outs, count is 3-2, no one on base --- and they lose the game 6-5. I can't believe what I just saw. Brandon Morrow looked like total crap.

Edited by Matthew

Well there is one obvious problem with MLB Network running their interminable studio show from the previous night - there's so much wasted time, if I want to find out reasonably quickly what happened and see the highlights, its still Sportscenter or ESPN News. I mean, the live look-ins might be cool the previous night, if you've got no local broadcast of your team or a game you want to see, but watching a "live" look-in the next morning when nothing ends up happening is &%$& boring.

As soon as the final game of the night is over, someone should edit everything they've broadcast into a single, hour-long highlights show. No need for new discussion or intros or anything, just edit what you've got into a cohesive, complete report of what happened. It makes no sense to broadcast something the next morning as if the up-to-the-minute news is that the Red Sox just took a 5-1 lead, show the completed game highlights for everyone and whatever studio jabber wasn't completely worthless, and have it ready to broadcast by 6 or 7 AM the next morning.

I agree with you completely on this one Dan. I was very disappointed at what I saw this morning on MLB Network. I just want highlights as I'm getting ready to start the day, the look-ins to other games were lame and not interesting. If that's what they do all night long, I not going be tuning in all that often. Just do a good one hour highlight show, put that on a loop for the 6a.m. -12noon time slot, and I would be happy.

Boy, I still can't believe that Mariner game from last night, but that's the great thing about baseball, no running out the clock.

I agree with you completely on this one Dan. I was very disappointed at what I saw this morning on MLB Network. I just want highlights as I'm getting ready to start the day, the look-ins to other games were lame and not interesting. If that's what they do all night long, I not going be tuning in all that often. Just do a good one hour highlight show, put that on a loop for the 6a.m. -12noon time slot, and I would be happy.

I have to believe they are smart enough to realize this and will have it in place at some point.

Boy, I still can't believe that Mariner game from last night, but that's the great thing about baseball, no running out the clock.

It is indeed the beauty of the game, but it really sucks to have one of those games right at the start. Of course, its unlikely the Mariners will miss the playoffs by one game, but if this had happened to the Sox last night, I'd probably be suicidal. :crazy:

You know the Atlanta Braves got a bunch better this off season. And if they were still playing in the NL West they would have a good shot for the playoffs. BUT...... they're not. So the best they can hope for - right now - is 3rd place. And if you have any doubts about this I refer you to today's game vs. the Phillies. Vazquez gave the Braves bullpen a 7 run lead going into the 7th. And they blew it. Atlanta will not make the playoffs with this bullpen. It needs a big time make over. And until that happens they can forget about the postseason**.

** See New York Mets 2008.

Edited by J.H. Deeley