Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

"My baby says she's traveling on the one after 909!"

Big news for Beatles fans, they're releasing the Beatles' albums in remastered format (digipak I believe) on 9 Sept 09. This is in conjunction with the Beatles Rock Band game (which I could care less about, personally).

They're releasing all 12 "proper" albums, along with Magical Mystery Tour and Past Masters I & II (which are now one set instead of two).

Also, Paul & Ringo played together at the David Lynch Foundation this past Saturday:

27313207-27313208-large.jpg

Edited by Aggie87

Ok. I've regained my composure.

I wish that they had opted to release them the way Costello does his reissues (or at least the way he did it on Rhino and Rykodisc): Three or four at a time spaced a few months apart, because frankly buying fourteen new discs all on the same day is going to be expensive!

I don't know, for some reason I am a bit disappointed. With the CD format there is enough room to include the Stereo and Mono versions of the albums on each CD with a couple of bonus tracks or demo's. Even though I have the first take of I'm Looking Through You from the Anthology how cool would it have been to have that tracked on at the end of the Stereo/Mono remastered version CD of Rubber Soul? I guess its all about selling as many units as possible but everybody already has these so they could have done more than just a remastered re-release of the same titles that are already out.

I reckon I will pick up Revolver and Abbey Road for the heck of it but it would have been nice to have the option to buy a single CD w/ the Mono release. Maybe Capitol will do a mono single CD release of Beatles 64 and 65.

I wish that they had opted to release them the way Costello does his reissues (or at least the way he did it on Rhino and Rykodisc): Three or four at a time spaced a few months apart, because frankly buying fourteen new discs all on the same day is going to be expensive!

If I remember correctly, that's how they released the original CD issues. I remember having to wait to buy each batch as they came out.

I reckon I will pick up Revolver and Abbey Road for the heck of it but it would have been nice to have the option to buy a single CD w/ the Mono release. Maybe Capitol will do a mono single CD release of Beatles 64 and 65.

I wish Capitol would do a third box set of the U.S. issues.

I wish Capitol would do a third box set of the U.S. issues.

Yes, I've been hoping that one is forthcoming...

I'm OK with the mono/stereo thingy but I wished that they had made them available in a high res format. That's the real problem here, imho. I mean they spend 4 years and gobs of money on getting the remastering just right and they put it out on CD??? Are the DVD's going to be available in Blu-Ray??

How many times can they peddle this same stuff to make big bucks off of it? Unless these remasters reveal very significantly new sonic pleasures, why is this a big deal?

I can just imagine that in the year 2309, the big news will be:

"1,892nd Remaster of the Beatles Albums Scheduled for the Fall!!!! Promises to Be More 'Real' Sounding Than the 2304 Remasters!!! Previously Unheard Snippet of John Lennon Singing Six Seconds of a Song From Mary Poppins to Himself On An Elevator The Highlight of the Set!!! Stereo, Mono and New HyperReal Versions of This Mary Poppins Snippet Available on the Deluxe Version of This Set For Only $25,000 More!"

Edited by Hot Ptah

"My baby says she's traveling on the one after 909!"

Big news for Beatles fans, they're releasing the Beatles' albums in remastered format (digipak I believe) on 9 Sept 09. This is in conjunction with the Beatles Rock Band game (which I could care less about, personally).

They're releasing all 12 "proper" albums, along with Magical Mystery Tour and Past Masters I & II (which are now one set instead of two).

Also, Paul & Ringo played together at the David Lynch Foundation this past Saturday:

27313207-27313208-large.jpg

Could you post a waveform for me? And, dude, fill out your profile! ;)

Seriously, I'm going to wait on this one and see what the reactions are to the sound. I happen to like the sound of the present cds, and I'm not too sure if I really want crystal clear Beatles music.

Given that I just bought Hard Day's Night yesterday, I'm probably not their target audience. I finally have the core CDs (the UK versions), and they sound fine to me. I'm certainly not going to run out and get remastered versions, which will forevermore sound a bit off to me. In fact, I'm pretty unlikely to buy anything more except Let It Be on DVD if that ever comes out.

But the real question is now how are you going to get the Sgt. Pepper's inserts? ;)

I bought my copy on CD back in the long-box era (remember that?) and they actually printed these in slightly reduced size on the back of the box. I clipped the box out and just the other day ran across this. Even this is slightly deflating, but to cut this down by another 50% or spread it across the pages of a CD insert just kind of defeats the purpose.

How many times can they peddle this same stuff to make big bucks off of it? Unless these remasters reveal very significantly new sonic pleasures, why is this a big deal?

I can just imagine that in the year 2309, the big news will be:

"1,892nd Remaster of the Beatles Albums Scheduled for the Fall!!!! Promises to Be More 'Real' Sounding Than the 2304 Remasters!!! Previously Unheard Snippet of John Lennon Singing Six Seconds of a Song From Mary Poppins to Himself On An Elevator The Highlight of the Set!!! Stereo, Mono and New HyperReal Versions of This Mary Poppins Snippet Available on the Deluxe Version of This Set For Only $25,000 More!"

:rolleyes: It does make for an interesting take on fair use factor number 4, does the use affect the market for the music? Courts have tried to determine what a reasonable person would do. Would the use affect the marketplace of reasonable people? They are not understanding that the music buying market is not made up of reasonable people very much in the first place. How many of us have repetitive sets of the same music in different formats? It will continue this way, I am sure. And courts will continue to be out of touch with the realities of the market.

Edited by It Should be You

This is the first time in 22 years that these albums have been reissued on CD. Only the 2nd cd issue ever.

I would have liked to have seen 2 disc sets for each album - one with the album in stereo & mono where possible, and one with outtakes, alternates, etc. But I am interested in hearing these for sure!

Apple doesn't move very fast, so these may be the last issues of this music for another 20 years, unless you consider the Andorran releases which will probably follow shortly.

This is the first time in 22 years that these albums have been reissued on CD. Only the 2nd cd issue ever.

I would have liked to have seen 2 disc sets for each album - one with the album in stereo & mono where possible, and one with outtakes, alternates, etc. But I am interested in hearing these for sure!

That would have been the way to go.

They will. The current versions suck.

Now, this is something I have wondered about for years. Maybe I'm just too used to the sound of the present cds, but I find nothing wrong with the current cds. I don't want to get all Hoffmanny on everyone, but will the new mastering sound really better than the old one?

Now, this is something I have wondered about for years. Maybe I'm just too used to the sound of the present cds, but I find nothing wrong with the current cds. I don't want to get all Hoffmanny on everyone, but will the new mastering sound really better than the old one?

My guess is that it will be a split decision (especially on the SH board!) on whether they actually sound better, but they will sound different than what we have now.

My guess is that it will be a split decision (especially on the SH board!) on whether they actually sound better, but they will sound different than what we have now.

If your frame of reference is the CDs (as it is for me), I really don't think there is any benefit to getting the remasters. It will just mess with your head. The only Beatles I've heard on LP was Sgt. Pepper's. I'm happy with the sound on the CDs and that's what I listened to all through college, etc. Not saying that this project is an abomination or anything, I just don't see any value for me. I do seriously wonder if Apple is misjudging things though -- I think the target audience here is in their late 50s to 60s, and this group is really starting to wind down its CD buying. No not us on the board or SH Board but we are such outliers it is a little scary. And truly the next generation or two below me (Z?) isn't going to buy anything at all. It will be all torrents all the time. We'll see how well that works out.

If your frame of reference is the CDs (as it is for me), I really don't think there is any benefit to getting the remasters. It will just mess with your head. The only Beatles I've heard on LP was Sgt. Pepper's. I'm happy with the sound on the CDs and that's what I listened to all through college, etc. Not saying that this project is an abomination or anything, I just don't see any value for me. I do seriously wonder if Apple is misjudging things though -- I think the target audience here is in their late 50s to 60s, and this group is really starting to wind down its CD buying. No not us on the board or SH Board but we are such outliers it is a little scary. And truly the next generation or two below me (Z?) isn't going to buy anything at all. It will be all torrents all the time. We'll see how well that works out.

I guess the major question would be: Will they sound better than the Ebbetts? Though I think even these are overrated...

I guess the major question would be: Will they sound better than the Ebbetts? Though I think even these are overrated...

I take it you're aware that the Ebbetts are bootlegs? Just curious :)

I take it you're aware that the Ebbetts are bootlegs? Just curious :)

Yeah, but it's like The Basement Tapes, if you're looking for the full story, sometimes you have to boot it...

Edited by Matthew