Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

Okay so the only way to get the mono mixes is if I buy the box??

Yup, they're not sold individually. Other ways that while not a perfect substitute but may work for you include finding people who are dumping their Dr. Ebbetts or Purple Chick CDRs of the mono vinyl needle drops, or if you're vinyl hound.

Edited by Quincy

I just pre-ordered the mono set from some place called CD Pacific for $216.00 USD. Has anyone ordered from them before? Also, I'd appreciate knowing if the set can be found cheaper elsewhere.

I've always been a marginal Beatles fan (but like them more in recent years), but have never heard any of the mono mixes. I'm curious if it will make Revolver an even better experience, as it is my favorite of their albums.

If anyone buys the mono set and also has the original mono LPs, I'd be interested in reading about a sound comparison. CDs tend to be mixed too much "in the red" these days, and I hope this Beatles set doesn't follow suit. Although I can't imagine any CD sounding better than an original LP, I'm hoping the CD set was mastered with the quality of the music as the main concern, even given the limitations of the medium. I hope it is not muddy and overloaded in comparison to the originals.

I just pre-ordered the mono set from some place called CD Pacific for $216.00 USD. Has anyone ordered from them before? Also, I'd appreciate knowing if the set can be found cheaper elsewhere.

I've always been a marginal Beatles fan (but like them more in recent years), but have never heard any of the mono mixes. I'm curious if it will make Revolver an even better experience, as it is my favorite of their albums.

If anyone buys the mono set and also has the original mono LPs, I'd be interested in reading about a sound comparison. CDs tend to be mixed too much "in the red" these days, and I hope this Beatles set doesn't follow suit. Although I can't imagine any CD sounding better than an original LP, I'm hoping the CD set was mastered with the quality of the music as the main concern, even given the limitations of the medium. I hope it is not muddy and overloaded in comparison to the originals.

I've gotten DVDs from DVD Pacific and found their service to be perfectly good. Same outfit, I believe.

This review isn't so hot:

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/tur...d-reissues.html

It will be interesting to see what people think, part of me thinks for the money they could have done these SCAD or HDCD.

Amen brother.

Okay so the only way to get the mono mixes is if I buy the box??

Yup, they're not sold individually. Other ways that while not a perfect substitute but may work for you include finding people who are dumping their Dr. Ebbetts or Purple Chick CDRs of the mono vinyl needle drops, or if you're vinyl hound.

Thanks Quincy!

Consider me among the confused, regardless of the sound, do we have the same tracks, no matter which one we buy one set or the other ?

As mentioned several times, the mono box set does not include any albums/singles originally released in stereo. Therefore the stereo box set would have more tracks, as it includes all of the albums.

So let me get this straight for those who have next to nothing and want the integral and the so-called "real thing". Not only you have to pick up the more expensive set, that would be ok, but you have to buy extra cds on the side to complete your collection.

Screw the health care debate, where is the outrage for this kind of trickery.

Going against what seems the grain, will buy the stereo version, i enjoy music not headaches.

Edited by Van Basten II

Consider me among the confused, regardless of the sound, do we have the same tracks, no matter which one we buy one set or the other ?

As mentioned several times, the mono box set does not include any albums/singles originally released in stereo. Therefore the stereo box set would have more tracks, as it includes all of the albums.

The pre-Abbey Road albums and non-album tracks were recorded in both mono and stereo; from Abbey Road everything was recorded in stereo only.

Edited by J.A.W.

This review isn't so hot:

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/tur...d-reissues.html

It will be interesting to see what people think, part of me thinks for the money they could have done these SCAD or HDCD.

When I've had an HDCD player in my system, it didn't seem to make that big a difference for the recordings I had. (Mainly Grateful Dead!)

I think the record companies are loathe to release anything popular or hot on SACD. I think they think it will confuse buyers and ultimately hurt sales. Very few of us care about SACD, which is a shame, but a reality that the labels will pay attention to.

The pre-Abbey Road albums and non-album tracks were recorded in both mono and stereo; from Abbey Road everything was recorded in stereo only.

Uh...there is no post-Abbey Road, unless you count the "fixing" session for Let It Be...

OK, I should have said that up to and including The Beatles (aka The White Album) the albums and non-album tracks were recorded in both mono and stereo. After that set everything was recorded in stereo only.

To clarify, here's a list of what's included in the mono box:

Please, Please Me

With the Beatles

A Hard Day's Night

Beatles for Sale

Help! (CD also includes original 1965 stereo mix)

Rubber Soul (CD also includes original 1965 stereo mix)

Revolver

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Magical Mystery Tour

The Beatles (aka The White Album)

Mono Masters (features all of the mono tracks that appeared on singles and EPs or that never made it onto the albums)

Edited by J.A.W.

Scrolling down the page, I think that the link to the other Chicago Tribune story ("Maniacs coming together to critique the Beatles reissues") contains far more interesting nuggets of info re: various songs.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainmen...obref=obnetwork

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Scrolling down the page, I think that the link to the other Chicago Tribune story ("Maniacs coming together to critique the Beatles reissues") contains far more interesting nuggets of info re: various songs.

We're all nut cases! :)

and ta think we listened to them on one of these while playing "Rock Band" in the basement with badminton racquets.

portable-imperial-party-time.jpg

I'd find it a lot more helpful if the reviewers would make sound comparisons between the new sets and the recent "Capitol Albums" sets rather than just comparing to the '87 CD's, which is such a no-brainer. Of course a 2009 remaster which was four years in the making would likely sound a lot better than a 1987 remaster. How much noticably better do they sound than remasters done just a couple years ago on the 63-65 titles?