Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

Is that correct? Still trying to figure things out... the box should be on the way by now, but I bet customs will hold it up, I don't count on having it before two weeks from now, but I'm no hurry whatsoever... will play all The Byrds albums I just got until then, and the Velvet Underground box set and the cheapo "Original Albums" by Patti Smith (and some of ye olde jazz in between, too).

You will also need the Yellow Submarine album, which only has 4 additional Beatles tunes, but more importantly, that wonderful George Martin underscore. There was a mono LP for this in the UK but it was a fold down, which did not make sense since mono mixes were made for the film. Go figure.

Is that correct? Still trying to figure things out... the box should be on the way by now, but I bet customs will hold it up, I don't count on having it before two weeks from now, but I'm no hurry whatsoever... will play all The Byrds albums I just got until then, and the Velvet Underground box set and the cheapo "Original Albums" by Patti Smith (and some of ye olde jazz in between, too).

You will also need the Yellow Submarine album, which only has 4 additional Beatles tunes, but more importantly, that wonderful George Martin underscore. There was a mono LP for this in the UK but it was a fold down, which did not make sense since mono mixes were made for the film. Go figure.

Ok, thanks! I think I'll slowly get it! :rolleyes:

Mono set has landed.

Perfectly reproduced Japanese manufactured mini LPs of the releases complete with flip-backs on the reverse, mini Emi inner sleeves, fantastic attention to detail.

Revolver has Dr Robert on the sleeve and Doctor Robert on the CD - like an first pressing,

the White Album has top-loading openings and black inners again just as per the original ( although omitted is limited edition number embossed on the cover found on the first several hundred thousand :tdown ) :wacko:

Sound so far is very good compared to my vinyls only no groove wear or crackle- oh well can't have everything.

Mono set has landed.

Perfectly reproduced Japanese manufactured mini LPs of the releases complete with flip-backs on the reverse, mini Emi inner sleeves, fantastic attention to detail.

Revolver has Dr Robert on the sleeve and Doctor Robert on the CD - like an first pressing,

the White Album has top-loading openings and black inners again just as per the original ( although omitted is limited edition number embossed on the cover found on the first several hundred thousand :tdown ) :wacko:

Sound so far is very good compared to my vinyls only no groove wear or crackle- oh well can't have everything.

Can you tell us what is on the odds and ends disc(s)?

I picked up four this morning: Revolver, Rubber Soul, Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey Road. I started to listen to Revolver and sound is good. Of course, I haven't listened to the album in probably 20 years so nothing to compare it to. I was 16/17 when this first came out and I can still summon from my brain which song comes next. It brought me back to a simpler time when my friends would argue about who was better: the Beatles or the Stones.

No complaints at all here.

Mono set has landed.

Can you tell us what is on the odds and ends disc(s)?

D12

1 LOVE ME DO

2 FROM ME TO YOU

3 THANK YOU GIRL

4 SHE LOVES YOU

5 I'LL GET YOU

6 I WANT TO HOLD YOU HAND

7 THIS BOY

8 KOMM GIB MIR DEINE HAND

9 SIE LIEBT DICH

10 LONG TALL SALLY

11 I CALL YOUR NAME

12 SLOW DOWN

13 MATCHBOX

14 I FEEL FINE

15 SHE'S A WOMAN

16 BAD BOY

17 YES IT IS

18 I'M DOWN

DISC 13

1 DAY TRIPPER

2 WE CAN WORK IT OUT

3 PAPER BACK WRITER

4 RAIN

5 LADY MADONNA

6 THE INNER LIGHT

7 HEY JUDE

8 REVOLUTION

9 ONLY A NORTHERN SONG

10 ALL TOGETHER NOW *

11 HEY BULL DOG*

12 IT'S ALL TOO MUCH*

13 GET BACK ( with Billy Preston)

14 Don't get me down

15 Across the universe*

16 You know my name

4 of these original mono mixes are released here for the first time, marked with * and in italics

Edited by Clunky

So in short: with the mono box on its way, to complete the Beatles collection, I'd need the stereo single disc reissues of "Abbey Road", "Let It Be" and "Past Masters"?

I think if you get the Mono box, then all you need are the Abbey Road and Let It Be stereo cds, and you'll have all of their official "canon" studio recordings. Except for Yellow Submarine, but as mentioned the remaining Beatles tracks from YS are on the Mono Masters set anyway. The rest of YS is George Martin's orchestral music that the Beatles don't perform on.

If you want a "complete" collection, you might want to pick up the two Capitol Album box sets (i.e. the U.S. editions), the Yellow Submarine Songtrack (different than the above Yellow Submarine), Love, Let it Be Naked, the Live at the BBC set, and the 3 Anthology releases. Plus maybe the Hamburg studio recordings (out on numerous releases in different configurations), though that predates their first official Beatles release. I think that's it.

At least I think that would be complete as far as CD releases - there are also things that haven't been released on CD, like the Hollywood Bowl live album.

Edited by Aggie87

I picked up the stereo Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road, White Album and Magical Mystery Tour first thing today. Apart from the obvious general sonic improvements and the clarity of detail, the most striking thing about them is the enhanced bottom end with Paul's basslines shining out in their full glory. 'I Want You' is a real trip.

Well, after poo-pooing these reissues earlier in the year I've succumbed to this thread and the weight of pre-publicity on the BBC (TV and Radio) - ordered the stereo box on Saturday. Here when I got home tonight.

I intend to listen very slowly (my CD player has a 33 1/3 setting), reading the Ian MacDonald bits en-route.

There is absolutely no way I'm going to buy the recent XTC remasters....

I picked up the stereo Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road, White Album and Magical Mystery Tour first thing today. Apart from the obvious general sonic improvements and the clarity of detail, the most striking thing about them is the enhanced bottom end with Paul's basslines shining out in their full glory. 'I Want You' is a real trip.

Agree about the basslines.

I got "Revolver," "Abbey Road", "Rubber Soul" and "Sgt. Pepper" today (I getting them in order of my favorites). So far, I've listened to "Revolver" and a little over half of "Abbey Road."

The sonic upgrade is tremendous. You can really hear the difference, especially if you A/B with the 1987 versions. They have more spark, more life, and (yes) Paul's basslines are WAY more audible. I heard a lot more of Paul listening to "Revolver" this morning than I have in the past.

However...

I STILL don't like the original stereo mastering, especially where Ringo's drumkit is crammed into one speaker. It really diminishes his sound and the overall sound of the recording. I know it would have resulted in a near riot from some die-hard fans, but I really would have preferred NEW stereo mixes (they could have even doubled up the CDs: have the entire album in the original stereo and then in a new mix). The "Yellow Submarine" songtrack album is a perfect example of this done right. "Eleanore Rigby" sounds better on that disc than it does here, for example. The cellos in particular have more depth.

Someday, when I have the money, I hope to get the mono box (if it is still available, that is). That's what I REALLY want to hear...

BTW, "Abbey Road," mixed (as it was) in stereo only, sounds FANTASTIC.

Edited by Alexander

I got my copies of the individual Stereo Remasters of Rubber Soul and the White Album yesterday. The While Album sounds freaking amazing. I was expecting it to sound better but not be blown away. Can't wait for Revolver and Abbey Road to show up in my mail.

For those like holding off on the Mono Box like myself I read that in mid November that individual Mono and Stereo releases will come out on 180 gr Vinyl. I am holding off on Peppers till the Mono Vinyl comes out.

Updated with vinyl info from the blog where I read it:

http://myvinylreview.blogspot.com/2009/05/...and-stereo.html

"Given the fact that it is unlikely that EMI would source vinyl releases directly from the analog tapes, hopes have turned to the possibility that high resolution 24/192 digital masters sourced from the original analog tapes will be used for the vinyl. This was done for the vinyl and sacds of the Rolling Stones Abkco remasters and the Doors vinyl boxset released last year. While there are varying opinions of the Doors boxset, the Stones vinyl was almost universally praised for its sound quality. And while the use of a high-rez master doesn't automatically result in good sound, it makes for a potentially very nice sounding set."

Edited by WorldB3

This is pretty funny....

Like most people, I was initially confused by EMI’s decision to release remastered versions of all 13 albums by the Liverpool pop group Beatles, a 1960s band so obscure that their music is not even available on iTunes. The entire proposition seems like a boondoggle. I mean, who is interested in old music? And who would want to listen to anything so inconveniently delivered on massive four-inch metal discs with sharp, dangerous edges? The answer: no one. When the box arrived in the mail, I briefly considered smashing the entire unopened collection with a ball-peen hammer and throwing it into the mouth of a lion. But then, against my better judgment, I arbitrarily decided to give this hippie shit an informal listen. And I gotta admit—I’m impressed. This band was mad prolific.

Chuck Klosterman Repeats The Beatles