Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

I am with TTK on this, up to Sgt. Pepper's mono is THE mix, Sgt. Pepper's and White Album: you should heard both mono and stereo.

BTW I can't believe there are people out there older then fifty, interested in music, that don't own the vinyls, whatever mono or stereo. (or Kind of Blue or A Love Supreme or Beethoven's Ninth Symphony FWIW).

If you have not heard these albums in mono, you have not heard them as they're supposed to sound.

Absolutely. At present, the only way to hear these albums on CD in mono (barring the two Capitol sets) is to download the Purple Chick reissues. I actually burned my nine-year-old daughter (who has just discovered the Beatles herself) a complete set of Beatles albums from the Purple Chick version. I did all of the albums up to Magical Mystery Tour in mono, and then everything in stereo from that point on. It'll be a while before she listens to them all!

I am with TTK on this, up to Sgt. Pepper's mono is THE mix, Sgt. Pepper's and White Album: you should heard both mono and stereo.

BTW I can't believe there are people out there older then fifty, interested in music, that don't own the vinyls, whatever mono or stereo. (or Kind of Blue or A Love Supreme or Beethoven's Ninth Symphony FWIW).

Vinyl fetishism is a minority sport even amongst we over 50s. I never had the White Album on LP; I did have Sgt. Pepper - it's up in the loft and would not even be there if I could make the effort to offload it along with all the other worn vinyl.

Much as I like the Beatles, their LPs/CDs only come out on very rare occasions (though I did play 'A Hard Day's Night' earlier today - very enjoyable...but the CD will do me). I won't be needing an upgrade. In fact, I think I'm upgraded out in general now. Much happier buying things I've not heard (new or old).

Maybe if they put the upgrades in e-music........

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I am not talking about fetishism, I think that, unless you discharged all you records along the CD's era, you probably own several Beatles' albums.

BTW vinyl fetishism has much more to do with sex rather then sport. :cool:

Edited by porcy62

Perhaps...but I imagine (when I'm not imagining that there's no heaven) that most over 50s have either dumped their vinyl versions or have them in the loft or garage. Far easier to deal with a CD.

Very few people (in my experience) have functioning turntables. Those that do tend to be vinyl nostalgics.

Perhaps...but I imagine (when I'm not imagining that there's no heaven) that most over 50s have either dumped their vinyl versions or have them in the loft or garage. Far easier to deal with a CD.

Very few people (in my experience) have functioning turntables. Those that do tend to be vinyl nostalgics.

Under 50 here (actually, still under 40 as well). I own a functioning turntable AND have most of the US versions of the Beatles LPs. Just sayin'...

Actually more young 'uns are gravitating to vinyl now. Inexpensive USB turntables make it possible to rip cheap used LPs they find at garage/car boot sales, and many new vinyl releases by indie bands include a way to legally download mp3s with the purchase. So the cool kids already own their Beatles and won't be buying the remasters. :lol:

Actually more young 'uns are gravitating to vinyl now. Inexpensive USB turntables make it possible to rip cheap used LPs they find at garage/car boot sales, and many new vinyl releases by indie bands include a way to legally download mp3s with the purchase. So the cool kids already own their Beatles and won't be buying the remasters. :lol:

I think we're still talking 5% up from 3%. It's very easy to magnify how important/common buying CDs and even more so LPs is within our own echo chamber. (I'm not sure I know anyone with more than 500 CDs, except on the board where the median collection is probably 2000+. I just read a piece that Disney felt that saturation had been reached now that most families had around 80 DVDs. Clearly some fanatics have far more than that (including many of us here) but the vast majority of people do not collect DVDs or even CDs this way, and that's where the money was and is no longer.) CDs and vinyl are really fading away, being replaced with digital (both legal and mostly illegal).

I think the target audience here is in their late 50s to 60s, and this group is really starting to wind down its CD buying.

I wouldn't claim to really know, but my instincts tell me otherwise. I'm 53, and a Beatles fan since I was 8 (1964), when I began buying the albums as they came out. I don't know many people my age who are still interested in buying CD's, especially music that we have known for so many years and owned in various (multiple) forms. I would tend to think that the 30-50 age group would include more people who are into the "discovery" (or re-discovery) of the music; the audiophile thing; and frankly, adding more material things into their life! (in my experience, people like to start getting rid of stuff- especially when you get into your 60's and beyond). Bottom line, though, I think audiophiles are a minority among the general populace of music lovers, and that's really the main draw here. Plus, most of us who grew up with the Beatles can hear all of this music without actually playing it. ;)

I can't believe there are people out there older then fifty, interested in music, that don't own the vinyls, whatever mono or stereo. (or Kind of Blue or A Love Supreme or Beethoven's Ninth Symphony FWIW).

Unless they've already begun the process of clutter reduction. But yeah, I'm sure there are many like myself who see them as treasures and continue to hold onto them, even if they no longer play them.

I wonder if the butcher cover (including the paste-over versions) would be an exception, since a lot of people probably have let go of them for the cash.

I just wonder how much interest there is in the Beatles amongst younger listeners. The kids I teach are aware of them because they absorb their parents record music collections in a way that I know I didn't (conscious rejection was much more common). But the Beatles are part of a bigger jukebox that includes Abba and Queen as equal partners (certainly in the UK). I've been at work socials with 20-something staff that have ended again and again with drunken communal singing of 'Dancing Queen' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. I don't recall one where Beatles songs were sung. Younger folk don't have our obsession with hierarchies - the 'importance' of the Beatles. They listen for fun.

I can recall a big Beatles revival in the UK in the early 80s, and again in the 90s when Oasis were big and championed them.

But I have a feeling that they are part of a much wider soundtrack now, much less likely to attract obsessive devotion amongst new, young listeners. Young listeners also tend to fillet the 'best' tracks, rather than go for whole albums.

I have a suspicion that EMI might have missed the boat on this - 10-15 years ago was the time to catch the market with upgrades.

Having said that, some of my 14-15 year olds were very excited about having Michael Jackson tickets for his forthcoming performances in the UK. So who knows!

I just wonder how much interest there is in the Beatles amongst younger listeners. The kids I teach are aware of them because they absorb their parents record music collections in a way that I know I didn't (conscious rejection was much more common). But the Beatles are part of a bigger jukebox that includes Abba and Queen as equal partners (certainly in the UK). I've been at work socials with 20-something staff that have ended again and again with drunken communal singing of 'Dancing Queen' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. I don't recall one where Beatles songs were sung. Younger folk don't have our obsession with hierarchies - the 'importance' of the Beatles. They listen for fun.

I can recall a big Beatles revival in the UK in the early 80s, and again in the 90s when Oasis were big and championed them.

But I have a feeling that they are part of a much wider soundtrack now, much less likely to attract obsessive devotion amongst new, young listeners. Young listeners also tend to fillet the 'best' tracks, rather than go for whole albums.

I have a suspicion that EMI might have missed the boat on this - 10-15 years ago was the time to catch the market with upgrades.

Having said that, some of my 14-15 year olds were very excited about having Michael Jackson tickets for his forthcoming performances in the UK. So who knows!

About younger audience, I don't think they are considered a target by musical industry. I mean that entertainment industry considers them potential buyers of a lot of things, from videogames to extra contents for cell phones, but they aren't the boys/girls who spent the weekly wage for records anymore.

So, all these Beatles's reissues are going to play in the cd players, or TT if they think it could be profitable, of wealthier and aged music lovers or audiophiles, whatever you call them.

For sure EMI will pump the thing: advertisings, etc, and maybe the Beatles will be the last great selling number of the last music's material medium in the internet and downloading era, but I guess it will be the last dance.

Edited by porcy62

How many times can they peddle this same stuff to make big bucks off of it? Unless these remasters reveal very significantly new sonic pleasures, why is this a big deal?

I can just imagine that in the year 2309, the big news will be:

"1,892nd Remaster of the Beatles Albums Scheduled for the Fall!!!! Promises to Be More 'Real' Sounding Than the 2304 Remasters!!! Previously Unheard Snippet of John Lennon Singing Six Seconds of a Song From Mary Poppins to Himself On An Elevator The Highlight of the Set!!! Stereo, Mono and New HyperReal Versions of This Mary Poppins Snippet Available on the Deluxe Version of This Set For Only $25,000 More!"

I just returned from the future in my time machine, and I have to report the bad news that no one even remembers the Beatles in 2309. Strangely enough, there is a Dave Clark Five revival going on...

How many times can they peddle this same stuff to make big bucks off of it? Unless these remasters reveal very significantly new sonic pleasures, why is this a big deal?

I can just imagine that in the year 2309, the big news will be:

"1,892nd Remaster of the Beatles Albums Scheduled for the Fall!!!! Promises to Be More 'Real' Sounding Than the 2304 Remasters!!! Previously Unheard Snippet of John Lennon Singing Six Seconds of a Song From Mary Poppins to Himself On An Elevator The Highlight of the Set!!! Stereo, Mono and New HyperReal Versions of This Mary Poppins Snippet Available on the Deluxe Version of This Set For Only $25,000 More!"

I just returned from the future in my time machine, and I have to report the bad news that no one even remembers the Beatles in 2309. Strangely enough, there is a Dave Clark Five revival going on...

Damn, I didn't keep my DCF greatest hits LP. <_<

Funny decision. I'd think that it'd be a bit late to come out with these?

CDs are sliding away - even downloading is slipping already into streaming.

There are some tempting tidbits offered, so I feel a bit compelled

to make it my first Beatles purchase after 50 years on this planet, but maybe

it's best to wait to see what the hardcore think about the whole package

(original covers, annotation, etc.).

You mean... first CD purchase, or...?

Are you a casual fan, longtime fence-sitter...? Just curious. :)

What I've heard I've liked so it's not a hatred or dislike (tho I haven't heard a full LP).

I just don't think I've ever felt the desire for popular culture.

If it was always popular on the radio, that was usually enough - no need to own it. :D

...so these may be the last issues of this music for another 20 years, unless you consider the Andorran releases which will probably follow shortly.

And the Andorrans will have no compunctions whatsoever about including mono mixes, outtakes and other such goodies...

Funny decision. I'd think that it'd be a bit late to come out with these?

CDs are sliding away - even downloading is slipping already into streaming.

There are some tempting tidbits offered, so I feel a bit compelled

to make it my first Beatles purchase after 50 years on this planet, but maybe

it's best to wait to see what the hardcore think about the whole package

(original covers, annotation, etc.).

Me too. Don't own a thing.