Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

Not sure I buy the whole "this is how they were meant to sound" bs.

It's not BS. It is documented. Mono was the format for pop music. The stereo mixes up until around Sgt. Pepper were done quickly by junior staff. George Martin and Beatles mixed the mono versions. The book on the Beatles in the studio documents 6, 7, 8, 9 mono mixes of a tune until everyone was satisfied. By contrast, five tunes from Beatles for Sale were mixed for stereo in a in a single half-hour session. You can like whichever versions you choose, but it is a fact that mono versions are the ones with everyone's input, until the White album, where the stereo version was the main one.

I have come to the realization that this reissue of the Beatles albums will be the event which cures the world economy. Consumer spending, primed by the nearly universal purchase of these Beatles sets, will explode to unimaginably high levels as everyone in the world simultaneously gets back into the habit of compulsive spending, and never goes back to the fear and frugality of today.

The Beatles will be forever known more for ending the worldwide recession of 2008-09 than for their music, or for anything else.

:rofl:

Out of curiousity, how did the title of this thread get changed? I didn't change it myself, and it kind of renders my initial "One after 909" comment immaterial now.

I don't see the purpose in changing something like that, just for someone else to make their own commentary - that could have easily been made in the thread itself, instead of changing my title.

Plus, the new thread title isn't completely accurate - these are remasters, not just re-releases.

You can change the thread title yourself by using the edit button of the first post.

Edited by J.A.W.

Out of curiousity, how did the title of this thread get changed? I didn't change it myself, and it kind of renders my initial "One after 909" comment immaterial now.

I don't see the purpose in changing something like that, just for someone else to make their own commentary - that could have easily been made in the thread itself, instead of changing my title.

Plus, the new thread title isn't completely accurate - these are remasters, not just re-releases.

You can change the thread title yourself by using the edit button of the first post.

Already done. :)

Just caught me off guard to have seen it changed, I wasn't expecting that.

Interesting.

Very inclined to the mono box here... then add in the later titles in stereo if I get that far.

SACD would have been better. Mono vinyl a dream!

All of that said, I'll wait for reports on sound. I've very nearly given up on reissues of all types and have a little bit lost interest in all recently recorded music as well - I just don't share the fondness for glare which (I guess) is the only sort of mix that will work on an ipod.

I'm endlessly fascinated how when the CDs came out in '87 they were such a revelation and praised for their sound quality and now they are these sonic abominations. I mean, I don't remember anyone reviewing the Beatles CDs upon release and giving bad marks for the sound. Most people oohed and aahed over them, even vs. the best vinyl pressings. It's possible there were bad reviews out there, but I don't remember seeing them. I understand technology has advanced and mastering for CD has improved since then, but it still strikes me as a but extreme the way some describe these discs.

I think Big Al asked a very vaild question: who is the market for these things? Over on the Hoffman board, for instance, people seem to think these are going to storm up the charts and save the US economy. I think in the real world it's not going to be quite like that. IMHO, most people are well served by the 1s comp. That's why that thing sold like gangbusters. The Capitol Sets and Let It Be Naked, not so much.

It also strikes me as this being a last gasp sort of thing for the big deal CD releases. Like it or not, CDs are on the way out. I really think this year is about the last possible year they could release these and still make much of an impact. It'll be interesting to see how many major music retailers are still left standing by the end of the year.

And no matter how good these reissues are, I would lay money that the first series of complaints begins before anyone has even had a chance to hear an entire album. ;)

I like some of the stereo mixes, as they seem to use less compression -

but, anyway, look, I'm exhausted and this while Beatles thing is maddening and I cannot stand the yoyos over on the Hoffman board - but am I understanding correctly that:

1) they will release both mono and stereo mixes of the UK albums, on separate CDs?

2) they will use good engineers? (and don't ask me who's good; I liked Geoff Emerick's book but then listened to some of the horrendouse no-noise crap he did on the Anthology, so I no longer believe anything he says) - Is George Martin too old to do these? Maybe Junior can handle it? No one has asked me -

maybe Chuck Nessa can reissue these -

Edited by AllenLowe

1) they will release both mono and stereo mixes of the UK albums, on separate CDs?

Mono & stereo on separate discs. The monos will be only sold in as a box set. One lucky buyer gets Heather Mills' extra leg that Paul took in the divorce.

2) they will use good engineers? (and don't ask me who's good; I liked Geoff Emerick's book but then listened to some of the horrendouse no-noise crap he did on the Anthology, so I no longer believe anything he says) - Is George Martin too old to do these? Maybe Junior can handle it? No one has asked me -

Rudy's doing the stereo mixes since the huge market of jazz fans love his separation.

Mono & stereo on separate discs. The monos will be only sold in as a box set. ...

No accounting for taste. I do think they may be overestimating the market for re-issues. On the other hand, Beatles' fans are a large market, and even picking up 5% of this market would be better than most current artists.

I do, however, think they would do a lot better if they broke the box sets in half, so you could get mono through Revolver, say, I think that would do a lot better in sales than expecting people to get all the albums, even Let It Be, in mono.

Don't you all worry about the market. They have sold over a million Beatles CDs this year alone. They will sell millions and millions of these. if someone has t 2 or 3 Beatles albums, they'll go out and buy a different one or two that they have been waiting on. Parents will buy them for their kids. You name it. Stop thinking in terms of weird geeky completists like all of us jazz collectors and extreme music lovers.

I do, however, think they would do a lot better if they broke the box sets in half, so you could get mono through Revolver, say, I think that would do a lot better in sales than expecting people to get all the albums, even Let It Be, in mono.

The mono box only goes through the White Album since everything after that was a fold down.

*Edited to add that the appropriate mono Past Masters is also included.

Edited by Quincy

I like some of the stereo mixes, as they seem to use less compression -

but, anyway, look, I'm exhausted and this while Beatles thing is maddening and I cannot stand the yoyos over on the Hoffman board - but am I understanding correctly that:

maybe Chuck Nessa can reissue these -

@ 2) According to the press release they used limiting and noise reduction:

"Re-mastering the Beatles catalogue

The re-mastering process commenced with an extensive period conducting tests before finally copying the analogue master tapes into the digital medium. When this was completed, the transfer was achieved using a Pro Tools workstation operating at 24 bit 192 kHz resolution via a Prism A-D converter. Transferring was a lengthy procedure done a track at a time. Although EMI tape does not suffer the oxide loss associated with some later analogue tapes, there was nevertheless a slight build up of dust, which was removed from the tape machine heads between each title.

From the onset, considerable thought was given to what audio restorative processes were going to be allowed. It was agreed that electrical clicks, microphone vocal pops, excessive sibilance and bad edits should be improved where possible, so long as it didn’t impact on the original integrity of the songs.

In addition, de-noising technology, which is often associated with re-mastering, was to be used, but subtly and sparingly. Eventually, less than five of the 525 minutes of Beatles music was subjected to this process. Finally, as is common with today’s music, overall limiting - to increase the volume level of the CD - has been used, but on the stereo versions only. However, it was unanimously agreed that because of the importance of The Beatles’ music, limiting would be used moderately, so as to retain the original dynamics of the recordings.

When all of the albums had been transferred, each song was then listened to several times to locate any of the agreed imperfections. These were then addressed by Guy Massey, working with Audio Restoration engineer Simon Gibson.

Mastering could now take place, once the earliest vinyl pressings, along with the existing CDs, were loaded into Pro Tools, thus allowing comparisons to be made with the original master tapes during the equalization process. When an album had been completed, it was auditioned the next day in studio three – a room familiar to the engineers, as all of the recent Beatles mixing projects had taken place in there – and any further alteration of EQ could be addressed back in the mastering room. Following the initial satisfaction of Guy and Steve, Allan Rouse and Mike Heatley then checked each new re-master in yet another location and offered any further suggestions. This continued until all 13 albums were completed to the team’s satisfaction."

Edited by J.A.W.

Thanks for posting that, Hans. Personally, I think this sounds very promising. I also would've liked it if they'd re-mixed the stereo tracks like what was done for the Yellow Submarine Songtrack. I don't know about anyone else, but it was nice to hear an evenly-distributed stereo-spread on songs that I'd been used to hearing instruments in one channel and vocals in the other.

But either way, it sounds like I'm gonna be pretty happy with the end result. I hope!

Well, I'm not a fan of noise reduction or limiting as it's often done these days, with strongly reduced dynamics and sometimes even hardly any dynamics left on many remasters, so for me it's a case of wait-and-see - or rather, wait-and-hear.

One of these days (when I have dependable income) I'll probably replace the albums I currently own.

Rubber Soul

Revolver

Help

Magical Mystery Tour

Sgt Peppers

White Album

Abbey Road

Past Masters (although I wish I could just get Volume 2 separately)

That's all the Beatles I need.

Well, I'm not a fan of noise reduction or limiting as it's often done these days, with strongly reduced dynamics and sometimes even hardly any dynamics left on many remasters, so for me it's a case of wait-and-see - or rather, wait-and-hear.

Wait and see is putting it mildly. The statement you posted contadicts all the audiophile hype. However I still hold out some hope for the mono set.

Wait and see is putting it mildly. The statement you posted contadicts all the audiophile hype.

I've been in more than enough fights about "audiophile hype" here and didn't want to get involved in another one, that's why I was putting it mildly :)

However I still hold out some hope for the mono set.

So do I.

Edited by J.A.W.