Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

I'm surprised they didn't make mono versions of Abbey Road & Let It Be to make it a full set.

Well, if they can charge the same for the stereo and mono box sets, there's no need.

From what I've been reading, the new remasters will be busy. New liner notes, new photos, then some video appended to the CDs themselves. Curiously, Apple will bundle all the new video files onto a stand-alone DVD, probably trying to capture casual fans like myself who are clearly not going to buy all the remasters.

@ 2) According to the press release they used limiting and noise reduction:

"Re-mastering the Beatles catalogue

The re-mastering process commenced with an extensive period conducting tests before finally copying the analogue master tapes into the digital medium. When this was completed, the transfer was achieved using a Pro Tools workstation operating at 24 bit 192 kHz resolution via a Prism A-D converter. Transferring was a lengthy procedure done a track at a time. Although EMI tape does not suffer the oxide loss associated with some later analogue tapes, there was nevertheless a slight build up of dust, which was removed from the tape machine heads between each title.

From the onset, considerable thought was given to what audio restorative processes were going to be allowed. It was agreed that electrical clicks, microphone vocal pops, excessive sibilance and bad edits should be improved where possible, so long as it didn’t impact on the original integrity of the songs.

In addition, de-noising technology, which is often associated with re-mastering, was to be used, but subtly and sparingly. Eventually, less than five of the 525 minutes of Beatles music was subjected to this process. Finally, as is common with today’s music, overall limiting - to increase the volume level of the CD - has been used, but on the stereo versions only. However, it was unanimously agreed that because of the importance of The Beatles’ music, limiting would be used moderately, so as to retain the original dynamics of the recordings.

When all of the albums had been transferred, each song was then listened to several times to locate any of the agreed imperfections. These were then addressed by Guy Massey, working with Audio Restoration engineer Simon Gibson.

Mastering could now take place, once the earliest vinyl pressings, along with the existing CDs, were loaded into Pro Tools, thus allowing comparisons to be made with the original master tapes during the equalization process. When an album had been completed, it was auditioned the next day in studio three – a room familiar to the engineers, as all of the recent Beatles mixing projects had taken place in there – and any further alteration of EQ could be addressed back in the mastering room. Following the initial satisfaction of Guy and Steve, Allan Rouse and Mike Heatley then checked each new re-master in yet another location and offered any further suggestions. This continued until all 13 albums were completed to the team’s satisfaction."

I'm surprised they didn't make mono versions of Abbey Road & Let It Be to make it a full set.

Why? Those titles were never mixed to mono. What would be the purpose of revising them 40 years later and creating a new mono version when none existed originally?

To charge more money for them, of course. NEVER BEFORE ISSUED!!!

• 3 months later...

I hope to buy the mono box, and then Yellow Submarine and Abbey Road individually. I have Let It Be...Naked, so have no burning need to spend $15 or so on "Dig It."

I can't wait to hear The White Album in mono. Heard it many decades ago, and loved it.

(Also good, BTW, is Blonde On Blonde in mono. Wish I could get that...)

Interesting that they left off "Yellow Submarine" from the mono box, considering everything in the film was mixed for mono. They're pretty stingy when it comes to repackaging Beatles.

Amazing that the mono box is listed as "limited edition." These were the definitive mixes.

I'm pretty sure that Yellow Sub was a fold down, at least from the rambling over in Hoffmanland. I'll stick with my Uruguayan vinyl. (Seriously, my copy is from Uruguay. Bought it at a cutout price in Champaign IL in the early '80s. It's so cool to be able to act all haughty and say "I'll stick with my Uruguayan vinyl" that I have to say it whenever possible. :cool:)

I'm deeply suspicious that the "limited edition" is only for a numbered set. There will an unlimited number of unnumbered sets after that. That's how it worked with Bob Marley's Songs Of Freedom box set (Mine is #4930 - whoop-dee-fuckin'-do.) But I have no inside info on that, so don't hold me to it.

I'm deeply suspicious that the "limited edition" is only for a numbered set. There will an unlimited number of unnumbered sets after that. That's how it worked with Bob Marley's Songs Of Freedom box set (Mine is #4930 - whoop-dee-fuckin'-do.) But I have no inside info on that, so don't hold me to it.

I understand that the mono box will be released in a numbered limited edition of 10,000. Whether there will be an unlimited number of unnumbered sets or not is not clear, at least not to me :)

I'm pretty sure that Yellow Sub was a fold down, at least from the rambling over in Hoffmanland.

THE ALBUM was a fold down, but the FILM had dedicated mono mixes, including new mono mixes of tracks that previously appeared on LP. They should have included these. IMHO.

Ah, gotcha. Dear me, I've hung out too long here and jazz session info is pushing Beatles trivia out of my brain. Perhaps if blu-ray sticks around they'll do this all again with extras & whatnot.

(Also good, BTW, is Blonde On Blonde in mono. Wish I could get that...)

I have it. I actually have one and a half copies of the mono "Blonde on Blonde" on vinyl. I have my dad's old copy, but sadly the first disc is missing and has never turned up. I recently bought a vinyl reissue of the mono version. Great stuff!

I've heard the mono "White Album" as well (I downloaded it from Purple Chick).

To the degree that I even care about 60s pop and rock any more - which is almost nil - I almost always prefer the mono versions. But the White Album is an exception. When you compare the mono and the stereo, it's pretty clear that the focus was on the stereo version. The mono one has a lot of the sort of quick, sloppy mixes that you typically hear on stereo Beatles. For example, the guitars are mixed way too low on rockers like "Yer Blues" and "Helter Skelter," and on the choruses of "Savoy Truffle" they forget to pull up the fader with George's syncopated repeated high notes. A lot of the tunes have a muddy sound as well. That said, the stereo version is not perfect, and includes some real lopsided mixes, such as "Blackbird." Everything up until the White Album, though, right up through "Hey Jude" and "Revolution," is way better in mono IMHO.

I still have all the US and UK Beatles albums in mono, but on the very rare occasions I spin any Beatles, the only things I reach for are the US mono "Rubber Soul," "Yesterday and Today," "Revolver," and the US version of "Help" with the Indian source music and spy underscore. I enjoy the tactile experience of looking at the album covers much more than I like listening to the records inside. I especially like looking at the US album covers because the revisionists have tried to erase these albums from the history, despite the fact that the sheer geographic size of the US meant that gazillions and gazillions of them were sold.

I'm glad they're releasing the mono Beatles box set, but I seriously doubt I'll plunk down that kind of money for it. They really should have released these albums individually, paired with the stereo versions, space permitting.

I especially like looking at the US album covers because the revisionists have tried to erase these albums from the history, despite the fact that the sheer geographic size of the US meant that gazillions and gazillions of them were sold.

They really should have released these albums individually, paired with the stereo versions, space permitting.

You'd like the sets on "The Capitol Albums" which came out a few years ago then. Those would have been perfect for a USA'er who was around back in the day (like me) if they had added appropriate bonus cuts (or at least restored the "Introducing The Beatles" cuts which were strangely excised for "The Early Beatles" -which includes "There's a Place", my all-time favorite Beatles song). I agree on the complaints about the revisionism. Beatlemania for America was "Meet The Beatles", "Introducing The Beatles", "The Beatles Second Album", the UA "A Hard Days Night" soundtrack, "Something New", "Beatles '65" and "Beatles VI", not those strange British titles!

Edited by felser

You'd like the sets on "The Capitol Albums" which came out a few years ago then. Those would have been perfect for a USA'er who was around back in the day (like me) if they had added appropriate bonus cuts (or at least restored the "Introducing The Beatles" cuts which were strangely excised for "The Early Beatles" -which includes "There's a Place", my all-time favorite Beatles song). I agree on the complaints about the revisionism. Beatlemania for America was "Meet The Beatles", "Introducing The Beatles", "The Beatles Second Album", the UA "A Hard Days Night" soundtrack, "Something New", "Beatles '65" and "Beatles VI", not those strange British titles!

Thanks. I received volume one as a gift. It's hard for me at this stage of my life to imagine spending any more money on the Beatles, so it's doubtful that I'll ever get volume 2.

To be clear, that last sentence of my previous post was referring to them putting out the UK versions with mono and stereo on each disc and selling them individually.

I like both the UK and US for different reasons and feel that there are gems and duds in both catalogs. I feel the UK mono "Revolver" is better than the US, and the UK "Hard Day's Night" is better than either the United Artists album or "Something New." On the flip side, the UK never got an early album as great as "The Beatles Second Album," and the spy/Indian underscore of "Help" is way better than the mishmash of (mostly) duds that show up on side 2 of the UK "Help." IMHO.

Not to sound like a snob, but for better or for worse, the Beatles constitute pure nostalgia for me now, and little else. They are a part of my childhood, along with Topps Wacky Packs and Ugly Stickers, Aurora monster models, DC comics, Star Trek, the Remco Lost in Space Robot, and Meco action figures. I'm not knocking them in any way, that's just where I am right now.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I got a mono version of The White Album from a friend a while ago. I was amazed at how different they were compared to the stereo. My main thought was how sloppy the mono mixes sounded to the stereo. The White Album is a ragged album which is why I like it so much, but these mixes were more ragged than that.

I got a mono version of The White Album from a friend a while ago. I was amazed at how different they were compared to the stereo. My main thought was how sloppy the mono mixes sounded to the stereo. The White Album is a ragged album which is why I like it so much, but these mixes were more ragged than that.

Agreed, I posted a similar observation one page back.