Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

I think it's interesting, considering that Paul freaked at the Spector-ized version of "The Long and Winding Road" and was - as I have noted - the primary force behind the "Naked" project, that on Paul's new live album "Good Evening, New York City" he has his keyboard player perform a string arrangement on "The Long and Winding Road" that is not dissimilar to that used by Spector...

I have never been bothered by the strings or choir on LAWR.

Nor have I.

FWIW & IIRC, the final recording for any Beatles project was a Ringo drum overdub for this tune. Maybe drums & strings overdub. Definitely drums.

So Ringo was figuratively the last one to leave the room, and that song turned off the lights.

Remeber, they released that album w/a red apple...

I personally prefer "Let it Be" to "Naked," but I'm happy to have both. I'd have preferred "Naked" to mirror the released album's tracklist, and maybe use the same takes.

My thoughts exactly.

I actually prefer it the other way around but I too am happy to have both.

I think it's interesting, considering that Paul freaked at the Spector-ized version of "The Long and Winding Road" and was - as I have noted - the primary force behind the "Naked" project, that on Paul's new live album "Good Evening, New York City" he has his keyboard player perform a string arrangement on "The Long and Winding Road" that is not dissimilar to that used by Spector...

Perhaps not so odd as, for better or worse, that is the version that most fans know.

Actually that honor belongs to I Me Mine, finished on April 2, 1970 whereas LAWR was finished the day before.

I knew it was something like that, yeah. Still, Ringo was the last one out of the room, and Long & Winding turned out the lights on the charts.

Anybody know why/how Ob-La-Di got issued as a single in the late 70s? WTF was that? I mean, I bought one just to have it, but was there some secret publicity move that I missed that necessitated a "new" Beatles single made of two old songs?

Actually that honor belongs to I Me Mine, finished on April 2, 1970 whereas LAWR was finished the day before.

I knew it was something like that, yeah. Still, Ringo was the last one out of the room, and Long & Winding turned out the lights on the charts.

Anybody know why/how Ob-La-Di got issued as a single in the late 70s? WTF was that? I mean, I bought one just to have it, but was there some secret publicity move that I missed that necessitated a "new" Beatles single made of two old songs?

Couldn't really find anything. Macdonald notes that McCartney wanted to release it in 68 as a single but the others opposed it. Maybe he got his way and the compromise was to have Julia on the B side. Just a uninformed guess.

It was part of program in 1976 by Capitol to promote & sell the music all over again. :) "Got To Get You Into My Life" was another song released in '76 as a single. The LP comp. Rock & Roll Music had been released that summer as well. Live At The Hollywood Bowl came out the next. As far as why that (horrid) song you got me, other than it had been a single for another group, so perhaps Capitol thought it was chart-worthy.

• 3 weeks later...

It was part of program in 1976 by Capitol to promote & sell the music all over again. :) "Got To Get You Into My Life" was another song released in '76 as a single. The LP comp. Rock & Roll Music had been released that summer as well. Live At The Hollywood Bowl came out the next. As far as why that (horrid) song you got me, other than it had been a single for another group, so perhaps Capitol thought it was chart-worthy.

Horrid? Dude:

My girlfriend bought me the Stereo box set for Christmas and let me open it early, as I've been foaming at the mouth for this set since its release but had no way of getting it due to my financial situation at the moment. My history with the Beatles goes back to my college days in the 90's, and to make a long story short, their music (well, the albums from Help! through Abbey Road) changed me and at the same time got me started on the musical journey which ultimately led to my love of jazz. I've worked my way through the entire set as of this morning, and there's just two impressions that I want to share.

First, the sound is wonderful. The only other Beatles I've heard are the 1987 CD's. If I've ever heard a mono version, I didn't notice. But the new sound is just really, really great. It sounds so vivid and dreamy, especially the later albums. I can't say enough about it. The White Album sounds unreal.

Second, the early Beatles albums are awesome. Although I've heard a great deal of the songs before, I had never in my life sat down and listened to "Please Please Me", "With The Beatles", "A Hard Day's Night" and "Beatles For Sale" in their entirety before. It was a revelation. I feel like I finally understand to a degree why they took the world by storm. Those are some fine rock n roll albums.

Listening to this set from the beginning to end is enough to really make you fall in love with the band all over again.

I've mentioned this before on this thread, elsewhere and to friends, but listening to their stuff again after all these years is almost listening for the first time and enjoying it all over again. It still sounds to me as great as when I was a teenager. On the other hand, some other stuff that I've listened to recently (Buffalo Springfield, Santana) seems boring and dated.

On the other hand, some other stuff that I've listened to recently (Buffalo Springfield, Santana) seems boring and dated.

In your opinion, maybe; I strongly disagree :)

Well, other than mine, in whose opinion would that be? :unsure:

I assume you're a big Santana fan; it just didn't have the same magic for me. The Springfield was not bad. Liked some things I heard.

On the other hand, some other stuff that I've listened to recently (Buffalo Springfield, Santana) seems boring and dated.

I assume you're a big Santana fan; it just didn't have the same magic for me. The Springfield was not bad. Liked some things I heard.

I always get an uneasy feeling when people are expressing opinions as facts, which I thought was the case here.

No, I'm not a big Santana fan, but I still like their first few albums. I am a big fan of Buffalo Springfield, and have been ever since their first album.

Edited by J.A.W.

Santana, the debut through Borboleta, are absolutely magic to me, and have aged very well, still have all the magic. And talk about pushing boundaries! Buffalo Springfield sound great to me, better than CSNY. In fact, all of the feeder bands to CSNY (Buffalo Springfield, Byrds, Hollies), sounded better to me than CSNY. Graham Nash's natural harmonies were with Allen Clarke, David Crosby's with Gene Clark and Roger McGuinn. You could hear Buffalo Springfield splintering on "Again" - clearly they weren't ever going to last. Like the Beatles "White Album", it was very clear whose song each cut was, where that was much less so on the debut (think "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing"). Wonderful stuff though. YMMV.

I always get an uneasy feeling when people are expressing opinions as facts, which I thought was the case here.

No, I'm not a big Santana fan, but I still like their first few albums. I am a big fan of Buffalo Springfield, and have been ever since their first album.

When Abraxas first came out, I loved it, as well as later albums. I recently picked up Abraxas in re-mastered form and it just didn't do it for me unfortunately.

OTOH, the Beatles sounded fresh more than 40 years later.

None of this could hardly be fact as music is very subjective.

Just my opinion :)

Edited by Brad

I believe the Beatles never get dated- at least to me. I have friends who absolutely hate them. I like them alot. I'm still going to get their box sets- still on my radar.

The first 3 Santana albums are magic to me- I'd like to get the Legacy Editionsl of these one day.

I wish they would remaster Borboletta. That's a beautiful album, really one of my favorites.

I like Santana better than the Beatles in important ways for me and my musical life. But I really like the Beatles too. EMI did these reissues RIGHT. I confess I'm actually surprised.

His use of "seems" makes it clear that it, as are all statements about music, are opinions, and so to point that out is a needless redundancy. In my opinion.

I believe the Beatles never get dated- at least to me. I have friends who absolutely hate them. I like them alot. I'm still going to get their box sets- still on my radar.

I also have friends who hate them, other friends who are indifferent. I come out pretty far to the "still like them a lot" end of the spectrum.

Currently enjoying and sometimes cursing Revolution in the Head. I loved the introduction and the writing on Tomorrow Never Knows alone makes it worth picking up but sometimes I feel he goes a little to far with his opinions and bashing tunes that are well loved by many. Compelling read though.

The individual Stereo's and Mono Box are all fantastic. I don't think a day has gone by since 9-9-09 where I haven't played at least 2 minutes of Beatles music.