Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

You know, I have to admit I'd love to have Revolver again. Let's see...there was the first one, then the cassette, then the British import (Had 'em all; I was hot shit on a stick!) then the CD..so this would be...um...oh, that's not so bad; I've had more copies of Dark Side of the Moon!

You know, I have to admit I'd love to have Revolver again. Let's see...there was the first one, then the cassette, then the British import (Had 'em all; I was hot shit on a stick!) then the CD..so this would be...um...oh, that's not so bad; I've had more copies of Dark Side of the Moon!

What, no German or Japanese imports!! :lol:

As for Dark Side of the Moon, I honestly never understood why people for so long made such a big deal about that album. It kind of struck me as one of those "show-off-your-stereo" albums.

But they have f**ked up popular music forever. Give them props for that. :)

I have been reading the Steve Hoffman Forum recently, just to see what it is like. Every Beatles recording seems to be treated there as if it issued directly from mouth of God--the Beatles albums are all masterpieces to be endlessly adored, and to be vehemently defended against any contrary opinion.

It's nice to read a differing view here.

I never owned a Beatles CD until about a year ago, when I found cheap used copies of Revolver, Rubber Soul, and Abby Road.

I assembled a nearly complete Beatles collection (making cassette recordings from LP's), when I was back in Jr. High (circa 1982) -- and those tapes lasted me all through high school, and I never looked back (and never had a need for them after that).

Now, I did buy some bootlegs back in the early 90's (the complete "Ultra Rare Trax" series (1-6), plus a couple of the "Unsurpassed Masters" series), cuz I did have a thing about unreleased recordings. And I did buy all three of the "Anthology" series (used) in the years after they came out, cuz I did have a thing about wanting to hear alternates and demos.

BUT, the core catalog got deep enough in my bones in jr high and high school, that I never felt the need to actually own any of that material.

Yeah, I'm weird that way.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 4 weeks later...

I'm picking up 4 of the reissues--BEATLES FOR SALE, RUBBER SOUL, REVOLVER, and SGT. PEPPER.

Btw, friend of mine who runs a record store tells me EMI severely underpressed the mono box--10,000 copies, and the demand is for far more...from what he says, EMI will end up with millions of dollars in lost profits from the low run.

EDIT: apparently it's already sold out at Amazon US and Amazon Canada, but still available through Amazon UK.

Edited by ghost of miles

I'm picking up 4 of the reissues--BEATLES FOR SALE, RUBBER SOUL, REVOLVER, and SGT. PEPPER.

Assuming you're buying Beatles for Sale in stereo (not part of the box): That is by far their WORST stereo album. Completely lopsided mix with overwhelming vocals in the center, all of the instruments in one speaker, and like handclaps and an occasional out of tune guitar fill in the other. I have easy listening covers of Beatles tunes that rock way harder than that album. Pick up the 80s mono version on CD instead. IMHO.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Btw, friend of mine who runs a record store tells me EMI severely underpressed the mono box--10,000 copies, and the demand is for far more...from what he says, EMI will end up with millions of dollars in lost profits from the low run.

EDIT: apparently it's already sold out at Amazon US and Amazon Canada, but still available through Amazon UK.

They'll surely make more. If not, EMI is stupider than anyone realized as these will be downloaded by the tens of thousands.

Assuming you're buying Beatles for Sale in stereo (not part of the box): That is by far their WORST stereo album. Completely lopsided mix with overwhelming vocals in the center, all of the instruments in one speaker, and like handclaps and an occasional out of tune guitar fill in the other. I have easy listening covers of Beatles tunes that rock way harder than that album. Pick up the 80s mono version on CD instead. IMHO.

I always rather liked the cover of Chuck Berry's "Rock 'n' Roll Music" on that album.

I'm really torn on if I want to bother with any of this at all, even though I'm probably the perfect representation of their target audience. I really like the "Capitol Albums" sets, and wish that format had been followed, and find this to be a ripoff pricewise, especially the mono set. Guess I'll watch here for reviews on the sound quaility and packaging, etc.

I always rather liked the cover of Chuck Berry's "Rock 'n' Roll Music" on that album.

I think it would have made a better EP as there is a lot of filler on it but I love the direction they took on it towards a more inner personal Bob Dylan type of song writing. I love No Reply, Im A Loser, Baby's In Black, Every Little Thing and 8 Days A Week.

Edited by WorldB3

For someone who owns no Beatles discs at all (but of course knows a lot of their stuff), would the stereo box be a wise choice? I don't care for the whole mono vs. stereo discussions, my aim would be to get most of it in one go... if they'd done single CD sets with mono + stereo versions, that would be my option, I guess, but it seems that's not what they chose to do... going under but still trying to milk their customers, friggin' idiots!

For someone who owns no Beatles discs at all (but of course knows a lot of their stuff), would the stereo box be a wise choice?

If it was my money I would say no just going on the Amazon pre-order prices. Even on sale the Stereo Box Set is going for $486 where individual discs are going for 12.99. For a bit over 200 dollars you get all 16 discs that make up the box set. Even at single discs going for full retail at 18.99 it comes out to $304 pre tax if you bough all 16.

I wonder how many Mono boxes will be going up on Ebay for outrageous prices like the Dead Fillmore Boxes. I think a lot of people may have ordered two with one to keep and the other to sell.

For someone who owns no Beatles discs at all (but of course knows a lot of their stuff), would the stereo box be a wise choice?

If it was my money I would say no just going on the Amazon pre-order prices. Even on sale the Stereo Box Set is going for $486 where individual discs are going for 12.99. For a bit over 200 dollars you get all 16 discs that make up the box set. Even at single discs going for full retail at 18.99 it comes out to $304 pre tax if you bough all 16.

I wonder how many Mono boxes will be going up on Ebay for outrageous prices like the Dead Fillmore Boxes. I think a lot of people may have ordered two with one to keep and the other to sell.

Amazon now isn't even taking new orders on either boxed set. Still, since Capitol never said the stereo box is a limited edition, Amazon's probably waiting for more to become available, rather than having to deal with angry customers, and at that point the price will probably come down.

As for King Ubu's original question, I think the early Beatles were a very different band than the later Beatles. I know many people who like one or the other, but not both. If you do want it all, perhaps consider the two "Capitol Albums" boxes (where you have both mono and stereo), and supplement them with the remastered versions of the other titles. If you buy them individually, it won't be such a hit to your budget.

ok ok, but the mono discs are only in the box and the mono box is incomplete, right?

so you'd have to get the mono box plus some of the single stereo discs?

that gets friggin' complicated... why can't they just behave sanely and release CDs which contain the stereo & mono versions (like Capitol did with "Pet Sounds" for instance).

Amazon now isn't even taking new orders on either boxed set. Still, since Capitol never said the stereo box is a limited edition, Amazon's probably waiting for more to become available, rather than having to deal with angry customers, and at that point the price will probably come down.

As for King Ubu's original question, I think the early Beatles were a very different band than the later Beatles. I know many people who like one or the other, but not both. If you do want it all, perhaps consider the two "Capitol Albums" boxes (where you have both mono and stereo), and supplement them with the remastered versions of the other titles. If you buy them individually, it won't be such a hit to your budget.

Thanks for all the good advice (and help with calculations... I hadn't really looked at prizes yet).

Capitol never did that third box to complete it, right? Why not?

ok ok, but the mono discs are only in the box and the mono box is incomplete, right?

that gets friggin' complicated... why can't they just behave sanely and release CDs which contain the stereo & mono versions (like Capitol did with "Pet Sounds" for instance).

Assuming the mono box will be made available again, you get that, and then you pick up Abbey Road, Yellow Sub and Let it Be in stereo. That's everything. I would also get the White album in stereo, but it's on the box in mono.

But if I had gone this long without the Beatles, I'd probably just use the money to buy jazz albums. ;)

Assuming the mono box will be made available again, you get that, and then you pick up Abbey Road, Yellow Sub and Let it Be in stereo. That's everything. I would also get the White album in stereo, but it's on the box in mono.

But if I had gone this long without the Beatles, I'd probably just use the money to buy jazz albums. ;)

Yeah... but the thing is I've started exploring more rock and rock'n'roll lately (The Band, The Doors, Jimi, Patti Smith, Talking Heads, The Byrds, whatever) and hence I'd really like to get me some Beatles. Also, I was around quite some of their stuff as a kid (the red and blue albums, the white album, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers - at least those I remember being around).