Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

Anyone going for these reissues who has not read this might find it a perfect fit:

41BFzBOJM3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Macdonald (who died a few years back) was one of the best of the British critics in the 60s/70s. The bulk of the book is a song by song study, full of interesting info about who wrote what, the background, context, instuments used etc.

But the most fascinating part is Macdonald's opening essay about the 60s, where he suggests that the hippy culture and the free market conservatism that followed were actually closely connected, sharing a libertarian outlook; both were working against the welfare state government control that had dominated Britain since the war. A fascinating bit of social observation. Well written in plain English rather than sociology-ese.

Some customer reviews here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revolution-Head-Be...8270&sr=1-1

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Anyone going for these reissues who has not read this might find it a perfect fit:

41BFzBOJM3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Macdonald (who died a few years back) was one of the best of the British critics in the 60s/70s. The bulk of the book is a song by song study, full of interesting info about who wrote what, the background, context, instuments used etc.

But the most fascinating part is Macdonald's opening essay about the 60s, where he suggests that the hippy culture and the free market conservatism that followed were actually closely connected, sharing a libertarian outlook; both were working against the welfare state government control that had dominated Britain since the war. A fascinating bit of social observation. Well written in plain English rather than sociology-ese.

Some customer reviews here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revolution-Head-Be...8270&sr=1-1

It's an excellent book--one that I find myself going back to over and over again (& surely will after getting the new reissues).

Mmmm. I've read the book and I'm not sure I go along with the theory. At a superficial level maybe but philosophically ( let alone morally ) there was a world of difference between hippies and the Thatcherites. I recall a quote along the lines that the Thatcherites were like the nerdy schoolkids who watched on in envy while the hipper kids got it on, experimented with free love, drugs etc. Then, when they achieved power, they got their revenge.

I can see that there are parallels with people like Branson, Richard Neville, Felix Dennis etc but basically they were chancers who would have thrived in any environment - it just happened to be the hippy culture.

Assuming the mono box will be made available again, you get that, and then you pick up Abbey Road, Yellow Sub and Let it Be in stereo. That's everything. I would also get the White album in stereo, but it's on the box in mono.

Everything except the "Ballad of John and Yoko" / "Old Brown Shoe" single, which I believe is not included on the mono Past Masters discs.

Assuming the mono box will be made available again, you get that, and then you pick up Abbey Road, Yellow Sub and Let it Be in stereo. That's everything. I would also get the White album in stereo, but it's on the box in mono.

Everything except the "Ballad of John and Yoko" / "Old Brown Shoe" single, which I believe is not included on the mono Past Masters discs.

Collecting Beatles ain't easy, you know how hard it can be, the way things are goin', they're gonna bankrupt me.

Some good news, for those with the mono jones. I got this email today from Amazon:

Hello from Amazon.com, Our records indicate you purchased a Beatles Mono Box Set, and we wanted to update you on its availability. This new information will not affect your pre-order--if you pre-ordered a mono box set, you will receive it. The manufacturer has informed us that they will be producing additional mono box sets due to high demand. While the box set remains a limited-production item, it will not be capped at 10,000 copies for the U.S. market, as originally reported. We will be getting more of the box sets in stock and will continue to update availability information on our FAQ page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?ie=...ocId=1000419971.

Collecting Beatles ain't easy, you know how hard it can be, the way things are goin', they're gonna bankrupt me.

I think we can safely say that John was right: They ARE more popular than Jesus!

GREAT review of the Beatles reissues. I truly wish that I was this reviewer. Then I could have gotten both box sets for free!

I’m Looking Through Them

Rediscovering something that wasn’t lost: A few words on the Beatles remasters

By John Brodeur

The Beatles are the greatest band of all time.

I had this epiphany midway through a 24-hour immersion in the newly remastered Beatles catalog. It’s the same revelation that thousands of music fans have every year. I’ve had the same exact revelation dozens of times myself. But it’s appropriate, as there’s something revelatory about the music. From 1964 to 1970 the Beatles made more, better music than anyone else. Matched against any act over any six-year period since, the Beatles flatten the competition. They had both quantity and quality. In six (or so) years, John, Paul, George and Ringo (plus all-important producer George Martin) mastered the pop single, the album format, and the art of studio recording. Game, set, match.

Read the rest of the review here.

I think we can safely say that John was right: They ARE more popular than Jesus!

I don't think so. Not 'round these here parts.

The reviews coming out are making me sort of wish I grabbed the mono box instead of only pre-ordering the single disc's of Revolver, White Album and Abbey Road.

Good review here:

http://www.tonepublications.com/music/beat...tereo-and-mono/

with some good comments too :blink: :

"Its vitally important these sound terrible.

Because if not thousands of posters on the Steve Hoffman Forum wont have anything to moan about.

If they are awful it will give their lives meaning for another 20 years till the next remastering."

Too confusing- I think I'll stay with the British ones that were put out awhile ago.

Confusing? These are the exact same albums, simply remastered.

The only thing I can see some people finding confusing is the whole mono/stereo thing. It breaks down like this:

With the exception of "Abbey Road" and "Let It Be," every single Beatles album, from "Please, Please Me" through the "White Album" was released in both mono and stereo mixes. There are subtle differences between the two mixes, and generally the mono mixes are considered the more "authentic" because those are the mixes the Beatles and George Martin worked on. The stereo mixes were generally left to engineers who knocked them off in less time (stereo still being considered something of a novelty at the time).

When the Beatles catalogue was issued on CD in the mid-80s, the first four albums ("Please Please Me" through "Beatles for Sale") were issued in mono at George Martin's insistence. Everything after that ("Help" through "Abbey Road") were issued in stereo. Of the two "Past Masters" discs, disc one was largely made up of mono mixes. The rest of disc one and all of disc two are in stereo (except for "You Know My Name Look Up The Number," never issued in stereo).

For the better part of two decades, these mixes (part mono, part stereo) were the ONLY ONES Beatles fans could hear on CD (which led to some bitterness on the part of the fans who wanted to hear the American mono and stereo mixes, which differed from the British mixes). The "Yellow Submarine" songtrack album offered some new stereo mixes (which sound great, btw) as did the "Love" album. The two Capitol boxes brought back the US mixes. "1" has all stereo mixes, and generally improved sound over the 1987 CDs. The "Anthology" boxes also offered some new mixes (particularly a new mix of "Yellow Submarine" and a stereo mix of "You Know My Name Look Up The Number").

THAT I can see as being confusing. The new reissues are far simpler:

The individual CDs coming out on Wednesday are all in stereo, including the first four albums originally issued on CD in mono. There is also a stereo box set, which offers the same CDs sold individually, plus a couple of bonus discs containing documentaries. Then there is the limited edition mono box, which will contain every album in mono except the last two albums and the tracks on "Past Masters" that were never issued in mono.

Then there is the limited edition mono box, which will contain every album in mono except the last two albums and the tracks on "Past Masters" that were never issued in mono.

Actually the last 3 albums. Not that anyone is going to be playing Yellow Submarine (the original, not the other album with the same name) all the way through much anyway. Also the mono box buyers get stereo versions (1965, not the '80s remix) of Help! (UK, not US version) and Rubber Soul (UK, not US.) Nah, nothing confusing at all for the newcomer. :lol:

geee-sus!

I just ordered the mono box (pre-order 180€ thanks to tax deduction, from amazon.de... it says Japan edition, while the "regular" is 450€or some such, but that ASIN-no. is the same as on the mono box listed on amazon.fr, where the pre-order prize for the mono box is 20-30€ higher...)

Hope I'm not buying something wrong... and I'm still not sure I'll not change my mind, this is a lot of money for the band that what, freaked up music forever?

this one here (via org link)

I just ordered the mono box...Hope I'm not buying something wrong... and I'm still not sure I'll not change my mind, this is a lot of money for the band that what, freaked up music forever?

You made the right decision in choosing the mono box - to the degree that you feel good about giving Heather Mills any more money than she already has. ;)