this is a thread on Chuck Nessa

AllenLowe

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first "cool" record I ever bought - something not on one of the BIG labels - was on Nessa. I used to leave it on my turntable so that my friends could see it and would have to take it off to put on something else. "Hey, keep your grimy, bass-player hands off the grooves of that Lucky Thompson on Nessa".

I can't imagine life without a number of the records that Chuck produced. He knew who to record, when, and how. His batting average alone would be enough to put him in the Hall of Fame, or, alternatively, the number of home runs by themselves would suffice as well.

Some of his posts on this board also contain some pretty deep minimalism. Sometimes I have to stare at those two words for some time before I start to hypothesize about what they might mean. :D

Edited by John L

I was listening to something recently, something i sought out and had to get. And it was a real letdown, not much spark. And the notes on the liner indicated that it was a session that a certain label (rhymes w/ contessa) passed on. But what I really liked in the days after listening (it's ok, I will keep it) was to realize was that this session has been discussed on this board, but the founder/namesake of this particular label, who posts here on this BB, didn't trample on or otherwise throw anybody under the bus. Internet discretion, people. That's nice. It's all out there.

I was listening to something recently, something i sought out and had to get. And it was a real letdown, not much spark. And the notes on the liner indicated that it was a session that a certain label (rhymes w/ contessa) passed on. But what I really liked in the days after listening (it's ok, I will keep it) was to realize was that this session has been discussed on this board, but the founder/namesake of this particular label, who posts here on this BB, didn't trample on or otherwise throw anybody under the bus. Internet discretion, people. That's nice. It's all out there.

Yeah, whatever....lemme take this opportunity to do a bit of character assassination about someone I used to work with and maybe drag it out for years and years. It's all about me, of course.

I had never heard Procession of the Great Ancestry until Chuck's CD came out. It's excellent.

Ditto. I picked it up at Waterloo (the day BFrank and I were both there but didn't hook up, LOL) a couple of weeks ago, and agree it's wonderful.

Edited by Aggie87

I hadn't realized - which Air things did Chuck do? (I have the LPs somewhere but have not listened in quite some time) -

Just Air Time. Shouldn't say "just" Air Time, as it's a great record. Air Time is the only Nessa record by Air, &, I believe, the only Air title that Chuck produced.

Correct. I must say all this attention is embarrassing at the moment but I will welcome it in a couple of months when more reissues appear.